PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn's New Bobsleds

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

disneyFREAK242
04-16-2010, 01:03 PM
I was looking on the miceage.com "in the parks" column today, and it said that Matterhorn will be getting it's new bobsleds during the ride's current closure. Is it even possible for it to be ready by the date it opens? I thought Disney (or someone) said it wasn't going to happen till' later this year, if not next?. . .

Andrew
04-16-2010, 01:11 PM
That question would probably be better posed on the discussion forums associated with the site where you read the article.

ChrisGlass
04-16-2010, 03:24 PM
I went on it last week and they looked the same to me. Double seatbelts, vertical metal bars for someone sitting in the back.

However, only ONE track was active.

AVP
04-16-2010, 05:20 PM
The new bobsleds are being placed right now - someone posted a photo on Twitter (presumably taken by a CM after hours) of the new sleds. They're pretty cool looking - they look like the new Monorails to me.

AVP

dznyphreak
04-17-2010, 02:50 PM
The new bobsleds are being placed right now - someone posted a photo on Twitter (presumably taken by a CM after hours) of the new sleds. They're pretty cool looking - they look like the new Monorails to me.

AVP
Do you have a link for us, AVP? :)

mechurchlady
04-17-2010, 10:14 PM
I searched and ended back here, lol. I did find some images and like wow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/disneylandiphone/4519917482/in/photostream/
That has some images. Originally the bobsleds were 4 riders in two seats then they went for two coupled cars for 8 riders at a time. So will this go faster and will there be hardships for us larger persons or persons with long legs for example.

I love the new color design. They do look like the monorail. Can I have one of the old bobsleds for my birthday.

fairestoneofall
04-18-2010, 07:31 AM
It's hard to tell by the photo, but does the smaller person still sit in between the legs of the larger person? It doesn't look like there is that much room. I'm not sure I'm going to let my boys ride it anymore if they can't sit 'with' myself or DH. The ride is just too jerky to let them ride solo. I guess I need to check it out myself to make a decision.

carolinakid
04-18-2010, 10:15 AM
The new bobsleds will go faster? That's FANTASTIC!!!!!:~D

BlkPearlCptn
04-18-2010, 02:47 PM
It's hard to tell by the photo, but does the smaller person still sit in between the legs of the larger person? It doesn't look like there is that much room.

The pictures I saw showed three individual seats per vehicle and a lap bar for each seat. So, I would venture to say no more sitting between the legs of the larger person.

fairestoneofall
04-18-2010, 03:03 PM
The pictures I saw showed three individual seats per vehicle and a lap bar for each seat. So, I would venture to say no more sitting between the legs of the larger person.
I sure hope the boys can still ride it. They will be awfully disappointed if the can't.

olegc
04-18-2010, 03:14 PM
The new bobsleds will go faster? That's FANTASTIC!!!!!:~D

that's not the statement someone said. they said will the line go faster.

olegc
04-18-2010, 03:18 PM

it's hard to tell from some of the pics whether it's 3 or 4 seats but most folks who have commented all over the place have said 4. Yes, there is capacity for 4 per car, two cars attached, on the old sleds. Seriously, though, except for a parent/child combo (or quite thin couples) you usually had one adult in each seat.

I guess the theory would go if you had individual seats then you could guarantee each car would be full. and if the cars are combined - then you have 6 seats. so a full set moves 6 people vs the on-average 4. Let's see it in action but it looks like it would be OK.

MammaSilva
04-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Sometimes 'new' isn't necessarily better, if they've changed the seating to one per seat then a lot of smaller guests won't be able to enjoy an attraction they've been riding for a while. Missy can't ride alone if she has to manipulate the seat belt by herself....I'm kind of anxious about this change.

fairestoneofall
04-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Missy can't ride alone if she has to manipulate the seat belt by herself....I'm kind of anxious about this change.
I was actually thinking about her as well as I was reading this thread. The poor boys will be devastated if they can no longer ride it. I'm sure Missy won't be happy about no more 'blue boat' either.

olegc
04-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Sometimes 'new' isn't necessarily better, if they've changed the seating to one per seat then a lot of smaller guests won't be able to enjoy an attraction they've been riding for a while. Missy can't ride alone if she has to manipulate the seat belt by herself....I'm kind of anxious about this change.

there is no more seat belt- from the look of the images. i think it's a pull down lap bar (and not the harness on the previous incarnation sneaked out last year). so no belt for her to manipulate. although I can still understand your concern about being able to ride it in a single seat.

MammaSilva
04-18-2010, 04:34 PM
yeah I don't think I can let her ride in a single rider situation on that particular ride. She loves it and is fearless and loves to put her hands up but she always has a responsible person with her to keep her stable. I won't rule it out but I have to own that I'm very concerned. In fairness I felt this way over the revised seats on Splash and she's been fine in the single seat with someone I trust right behind her...but I know it will break J and P's hearts if they have to wait to ride til they are much bigger. UGH darn bean counters and lawyers.

fairestoneofall
04-18-2010, 07:49 PM
In fairness I felt this way over the revised seats on Splash and she's been fine in the single seat with someone I trust right behind her...but I know it will break J and P's hearts if they have to wait to ride til they are much bigger. UGH darn bean counters and lawyers.
Oh, and how do I even explain that to them?
Psh, darn improvements.:rolleyes:

MammaSilva
04-18-2010, 07:59 PM
I have been pondering this all day....yeah I have no life....but seriously this is important to my daughter and I know it's important to the boys as well...I saw their joy when they got to ride that day...I'm going to be a Pollyanna and just go with the new bobsleds will allow our babies to ride their beloved blue boats...if we have to get creative to make it happen then we have to get creative. The first few times Missy rode on Splash with the new configuration we did a reverse backpack 'safety seat...think the baby harness but in a bigger form to keep them in the seat with an adult in the seat behind them...yeah I need to get a hobby.

underthesea1987
04-18-2010, 08:05 PM
No you don't MamaSilva!
You are just trying to think of what is best for Missy!

fairestoneofall
04-18-2010, 08:12 PM
I have been pondering this all day....yeah I have no life....but seriously this is important to my daughter and I know it's important to the boys as well...I saw their joy when they got to ride that day...I'm going to be a Pollyanna and just go with the new bobsleds will allow our babies to ride their beloved blue boats...if we have to get creative to make it happen then we have to get creative. The first few times Missy rode on Splash with the new configuration we did a reverse backpack 'safety seat...think the baby harness but in a bigger form to keep them in the seat with an adult in the seat behind them...yeah I need to get a hobby.

I think that have to take into consideration the current height requirements when redesigning attractions. I'm sure it will be fine, if it weren't they would change the requirements.
Oh, and I guess I don't have a life either. I've been thinking about this WAY too much, too.

MammaSilva
04-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Well they did make changes on the height requirements on Splash at least for the very front seat, I don't know if that's still in effect or not, we haven't gone on that attraction in a few years, timing just hasn't worked out. If they raise the height requirement on Matterhorn then things will really stink.

mechurchlady
04-18-2010, 11:18 PM
For a person with weak upper body strength the bobsleds allowed a friend to help the person with stability. That will be gone. I am worried about the seating as the old design allowed long legged people and people with stiff knees the front seat to stretch out. I fit in a bobsled with ease but worry that I will not fit any more. 50 years in October of riding so I was looking forward to October and my umpteenth ride. it must be 500 to 1000 times.

I will wait for more information but am so not happy if I cannot ride. Does anyone have better pictures?

Drince88
04-19-2010, 10:05 AM
If they did replace the '4 people fitting together in 2 cuddle seats' (that's my own designation) with 3 people in their own seats with a lap bar, then they're doing exactly what they did to WDW Space Mountain quite a few years back. I believe WDW Space and Matterhorn are built on the same basic technology and I vividly recall a ride on WDW Space when I was 17 and having the cuddle seats at that time.

VickiC
04-19-2010, 10:21 AM
I would guess the height requirement will go up then. The current height requirement allows quite a few larger 2 and 3 year olds to ride and I can't see that being safe. I would let a 4 or 5 year old (depending on the kid) ride alone (and did on Splash), but not a 2-3 year old, even if they met the height requirement.

carolinakid
04-19-2010, 10:24 AM
that's not the statement someone said. they said will the line go faster.

Thanks! Totally read that wrong! Darn it! Anyway, the bobsleds load fast enough for me!