PDA

View Full Version : A place to stay, Anaheim to LA?

christasman
03-08-2003, 03:26 PM
G'day from Australia.

We're planning to visit Disney Land during late May, LA early June, but are asked to pre-book, sight unseen, from the myriad of hotels in and around Anaheim and LA. That can be a worry and ask if anyone can recommend a good place?

We're three well travelled & behaving adults who are looking for good value commercial accomm, around three stars, or are happy to pay a "free-loaders" fee to an interesting host?

Many thanks!

Chris B.
Huonville, Tasmania

HBTiggerFan
03-08-2003, 03:36 PM
Disneyland Hotel, Paradise Peir or Grand Californian (though the last one is super pricey) are all on Disney Property.

If you go to the MousePlanet reviews (link is at the top of the page) there are some reviews of hotels near Disneyland. :)

Laffite
03-08-2003, 04:52 PM
I guess it depends on your budget. Grand California is like a haven. Although expensive, you get luxury with every penny.

MouseWife
03-08-2003, 06:39 PM
It depends as well as to the other places you will be going.

Me, I like the Embassy Suites. They have a shuttle that is convenient. Plus, a full breakfast and nice rooms.

The Residence Inn by Marriot, I've stayed at the one in Orange, is really nice and roomy {since you are all adults you might want space?}.

Do check the 'Travel' here on MousePlanet. There are some less expensive hotel/motels right on the street in front of Disneyland.

One thing I did was to make reservations at my top choices and then keep track of the rates on the net and keep the one that is the best.

You also have to make sure that they won't penalize you for cancelling and how long of a cancellation period you have.

If you give more info as to exactly what are your needs, we might be more able to pinpoint a place.

parveen50
03-09-2003, 09:41 AM
The Westcoast Anaheim - I think it's just called the "Coast Anaheim" now - is a nice 3 star hotel.
We found the rooms (esp. the bathroom) to be a little small - and I thought the carpet was getting old - BUT we had a great view of the fireworks in Disneyland each night. The pool area was also fantastic - they actually have a bar (from where you can order food as well) poolside - and the service/people were all wonderful.
I would check Expedia.com for rates - I believe the avg. is about $80/night.

Tink0706
03-09-2003, 02:34 PM
We love the Candy Cane Inn, and it gets great reviews on these boards. We are paying $87/night plus tax for mid-August. Its about a 5 min. walk to DL, offers a free breakfast, and has nice clean rooms. Last year we stayed in a regular room which was big enough for the 3 of us (2 adults and a teenager), but this year we went with the deluxe room as we are staying a week there and its quite a bit larger.

jamsandwich
03-09-2003, 06:06 PM
You might want to try Priceline. They've got a good selection of 3-star hotels available.

My wife and I booked our hotel through that site and saved a lot of money. We're paying less per night at a 3-star than we would if we were staying at the Villager Lodge (formerly the Penny Sleeper Inn, where we stayed once for a previous trip and will not return).

http://www.priceline.com or http://www.priceline.co.uk

The negative side of Priceline is you get what they give you. I understand the star ratings are generally accurate, but if you want a particular hotel you'll be out of luck.

-J

slaakker
03-09-2003, 07:26 PM
I will second the priceline.com suggestion. We got a room at the Anahiem Hilton for 50.00/nite March 29th and 30th.

Just know that once you place a bid, you cannot retract it.

christasman
03-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Thanks all. I've tried priceline, jamsandwich and slaakker, but they won't accept international searches unless I have a US link they can verify my existence with -like a US phone number, postal address or an Am. express card. By the way, what's wrong with the Penny Sleeper Inn jamsandwich? Is the problem a common one?

I'll check the ones mentioned and keep looking for others -any suggestions about LA accommodation? We'll be there for a few days in early June and would appreciate pointers.

Talk about pointers, heard about that fellow who teased a white pointer shark with his jet-ski? The fish snapped a few times but missed, much to the enjoyment of his equally stupid mates on the beach, but he got him when the jet-idiot wasn't looking! Nothing much left, ha.

adriennek
03-10-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by christasman
I'll check the ones mentioned and keep looking for others -any suggestions about LA accommodation? We'll be there for a few days in early June and would appreciate pointers.

Where are you going in LA/what are you planning to see there?

I'm assuming you'll have a rental car?

Adrienne K

jamsandwich
03-10-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by christasman
Thanks all. I've tried priceline, jamsandwich and slaakker, but they won't accept international searches unless I have a US link they can verify my existence with -like a US phone number, postal address or an Am. express card. By the way, what's wrong with the Penny Sleeper Inn jamsandwich? Is the problem a common one?

I'm pretty low maintenance, so I could have stayed there again.. but my overall feeling was this is a fairly low-rent facility. Not quite a roach motel, but getting there.

My wife couldn't stand the place, however. She felt the hotel was lacking in amenities, she didn't like the location (it's close to the park, but I agree with her.. it's not really near anything else). She also thought the room environment was too stuffy and not enjoyable to stay in.

You might want to check out Priceline's UK site, by the way. If I remember correctly, you can fill in a non-UK address and do just fine... and they do have listings for California.

-J

Morrigoon
03-10-2003, 01:39 PM
It's really important to know if you'll be renting a car and what else you want to see in LA.

My advice would be rent a car! (Absolutely do not count on public transportation, this isn't a public transportation kind of city.) I would still stay out in OC (Orange County/DL area) btw. Try the Embassy Suites near Knott's Berry Farm, they are usually cheaper than the one on Harbor, and if you have a car you're set (downside is plan on spending $8/day for parking, but if you save $100/day, what the heck?)

Candy Cane Inn- haven't tried it myself, but it comes highly recommended by basically everyone.

I wouldn't stay in LA, honestly. (And I live here!)

hefferdude
03-10-2003, 02:54 PM
Non suite rooms;
Howard Johnsons ( Hojo's) on S. Harbor - nice grounds,
medium $$, close to park. Fairfield Inn on S. Harbor. ( We've met many great people from Australia and New Zealand at these. )
Candy Cane - nice rooms/grounds very popular - book early.

Suites; ( if you want to save BIG $$ and cook or even BBQ a few of your own meals. ) They usually serve a full breakfast, and some have a free happy hour :D :D :D

Residence Inn on Clementine.
Embassy Suites Garden Grove or Buena Park ( both have free shuttle service to and from park but it requires extra time to travel )
Portofina if you're traveling with kids. Close and has bunk beds in seperate room.
Check the reviews this site!!

BTW - is it OK to use Aussie or Kiwi when referring to someone from Australia or New Zealand? Cheers mate!

christasman
03-13-2003, 12:16 AM
Of course hefferdude, you can call me anything you like; you're right mate. Still, some Aussies and Kiwis have long toes and you can't help but stepping on them, so better be polite first and fresh later lets they snap at you -like that shark did!

Is the public transport really that bad in LA? Looking at the smog I guess it is! Oh well, if I have no choice I'll have to try but I'm not looking forward to driving in such a huge city; remember I'm from Tasmania -where we still drive on the left and have cars that ought to be in museums! Anyway, we'll be there for only two or so days... what would be a good place to visit? We're not really into movie worlds or museums but like a good cappuccino and meeting interesting people. I hear there are a few... let's say, gay couples about? I'm originally from Amsterdam (Holland) and am not easily shocked, but my partner and daughter may have softer sides. Doesn't matter, she'll be right.

Cheers

MouseWife
03-13-2003, 06:05 AM
LOL Well now I totally understand not wanting to drive!!

Not that you want to buy this 'City Pass' but the site does have other information for you to check out~ I couldn't put a direct link from the 'Hollywood' pass but after clicking about I did find a Transportation link. This might help you. I think it was under alternate transportation.

The other one you might want to click on is the Southern CA Pass.

http://citypass.net/cgi-bin/citypass

If you can't find it I think this is the link for the bus/rail systems.

Good luck!! www.mta.net.

http://www.anaheimoc.org/ Oh, another site that might be of interest.

jslivinski
03-21-2003, 06:24 PM
I recently posted this (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=203734&highlight=Residence#post203734) review/information on a different thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14467&highlight=Residence) that also dealt with places to stay by Disneyland.

Important things to know before you book are: shuttle service - alot of the hotels/motels on the strip now use the ART system, but it's best to know ahead of time so you can plan
Breakfast - if they offer a breakfast, what does it consist of. We have stayed at places that have a wonderful buffet and others that give you a roll and a juice and make you sign that you received it (heaven forbid you take extra) :)
Parking - if you decide to get a car check if there are parking fees
Research - the web allows you to really get a feel for places, if I can't find them on-line I tend to shy away from them.
Ask questions - don't be afraid to post questions. We have a wealth of information on this board and just love to share it.
Hope the information on this thread has helped you to narrow down your search. When you get down to a few choices, post again, I'm sure there is someone on-line who can give the the low-down on your choices.

Pirate Girl
03-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Tink0706
We love the Candy Cane Inn, and it gets great reviews on these boards. We are paying $87/night plus tax for mid-August. Its about a 5 min. walk to DL, offers a free breakfast, and has nice clean rooms. Last year we stayed in a regular room which was big enough for the 3 of us (2 adults and a teenager), but this year we went with the deluxe room as we are staying a week there and its quite a bit larger.

My friend goes to DL and stays at the Candy Cane every time. She and her family just love it.

Living nearby I have only ever stayed in a hotel near there once. I stayed in the Ramada Limited Suites (http://affiliates.travelhero.com/index.cfm/id/91442/aid/68/city/ANAHEIM/index.html) It's an older hotel, all suites of 1 or 2 rooms that sleep 6-8 comfortably. They have continental breakfast and a pool, as well as a free shuttle sevice to the park (although it is close enough to walk). Its about $88 per night ($142 Australian). It's not the height of luxury, but its comfy and big.

Sonya in Boise
03-22-2003, 11:21 AM
I just returned from a Disneyland vacation with my two girls and we stayed at the Best Value Inn Anaheim East (formally the Residence Inn and Suites Orange). We paid 64.00 per night for a studio that sleeps 3. There is a queen sized bed and a queen sized sofa sleeper that was very comfy. It has a full kitchen so you can stock it with groceries. They serve a hot breakfast and a hot dinner each night. This is included in your price.

Breakfast was milk, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, fresh fruit, cottage cheese, canned pears/peaches, 4 different kinds of muffins, 4 different kinds of bagels, cream cheese, very nice bread (whole wheat, white, and sometimes raision), make your own waffles (they provided the batter and you pour it in the waffle iron) and each day was two hot dishes....scrambled eggs and sausage, scrambled eggs and bacon, scrambled eggs and french toast, scrambled eggs and potatoes, french toast and sausage.

Dinners always have a fresh salad bar and hot items. We had Chili Cheese Hot dogs (there were also chips so you could make a chili cheese chips), Spagehetti and meatballs, chicken wings, 4 different soups, Tacos......each of these on a different night of our five nights.

They offer a free shuttle to DL that runs approx. every hour (it changes due to dinner and runs on the half hours, then switches back to the hour, but it is pretty easy to live with). When the shuttle is not driving to DL it will take you anywhere with in five miles of the hotel. They will take you to the grocery store, dinner, or shoping...drop you off and pick you back up when you are ready.

I have stayed at a few hotels walking distance to Disneyland.

Desert Inn and Suites, we had a parlor suite that has 2 queen beds and a seperate Living room. We paid 69.00 per night during the off season. The breakfast was nothing more than cheap bread and cheap danish. A sugar rush is all you could get from it.

Carousel Inn and Suites, we had a standard room with 2 queen beds. I paid 99 per night, buy one night get one free in December during a busy weekend for disneyland. The breakfast was better here than the Desert inn. The muffins and pastries were pretty fresh, the fruit was fresh and they had apples, banana and oranges, they also had some type of bread each day.

All of the rooms were clean and nice, the nicest was the Best Value Inn...that room was very clean and had new linnens although the carpet needed cleaning. You can check the price for all of these through www.expedia.com Best Value has larger rooms that have more beds and more rooms. I travel with two young kids and they shared the sofa bed each night, although I did sleep on it one night when they fell asleep in my bed while getting dressed for bed.

truman
03-22-2003, 12:51 PM
Great place to stay in LA would be Rosevelt Hotel. It's located right across the street for the Chinese theater on HOllywood Blvd.

If you want some cheap easy accomodations there is a nice Hostel in Santa Monica about two blocks from the beach, the pier and the 2nd street shopping district.

I had some Aussie friends come out that I met in London and stayed there. Good facilities for a hostel and an amazing location.

You will need a car when you are visiting the LA as public transportation is very weak.

Hope that helps you and you enjoy your trip.....

Truman

wdtv
03-22-2003, 05:09 PM
Hilton Suites! We always stay there during trips, and it is so awesome :). The lobby is beautiful (W/plants and waterfalls); there are two glass elevators, a market, a bar & grill, good-sized rooms; and it's a great deal, too (I forget how much, but it's not that bad).

disneynut
03-22-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by parveen50
The Westcoast Anaheim - I think it's just called the "Coast Anaheim" now - is a nice 3 star hotel.

We stayed here over Thanksgiving and thought it was great. My brother (who recommended the place and always stays there) returned over Valentine's weekend and said that the service had completely gone downhill. Room service was terrible and they had begun charging for shuttle use.

I'd be interested to hear if you'd stayed there recently. I am hoping he just had a one time, bad visit. We were looking at staying there again, so I'd love to hear if anybody has made any recent trips to this hotel.

truman
03-22-2003, 07:03 PM
F.Y.I. The shuttle system for 99% of th Anaheim Resort hotels is now run by the city of Anahiem. It's called the ART system or Anaheim Resort Transit. They charge $5 for adults and children under 11 years old are free.

A pretty good deal if you ask me.

Pirate Girl
03-22-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by truman
F.Y.I. The shuttle system for 99% of th Anaheim Resort hotels is now run by the city of Anahiem. It's called the ART system or Anaheim Resort Transit. They charge $5 for adults and children under 11 years old are free.

A pretty good deal if you ask me.

But the shuttles are pretty small, so when there is a line for them you often don't get on. I had to wait for 2 shuttles to fill before I finally got on. :(

truman
03-22-2003, 07:25 PM
Sad to here that. They really should be running more shuttles at peak times than they do.

Darkbeer
03-22-2003, 07:45 PM
A couple of comments....

ART is $2 a day, not $5 (Ithink yoiu can get a three dayt pass for $5)

If you want to look at hotels, I would suggest starting with this site....

http://www.travelaxe.net/

This great search engine looks at Expedia and many other Hotel discounters to find the best deal, you can rank them by price, class, etc.

I have read many good things about the Howard Johnson's on Harbor, across the street from the DLR.