PDA

View Full Version : Food found only at the DLR

Pages : [1] 2

80S ERA
07-27-2001, 09:25 AM
Do you have a favorite entree or food item you could find ONLY at the DLR? OK, maybe not exclusively, but hard to find anywhere else?

Here's my favorites, in no order:

1. Monte Cristo Sandwich, French Market - I've tried others, but the closest thing to it is 150 miles away in Solvang!
2. Prime Rib, Blue Bayou - I could get Prime Rib anywhere, but the BB's special sauce makes it special.
3. Ahi Tuna, PCH Grill
4. Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich (formerly "Mighty Duck Puck"), ODV carts - for some reason, paying $4 makes it taste better;)
5. Mint Julep, NOS
6. GIANT cinnimon roll with icing, Blue Ribbon Bakery - I always get dizzy from eating this!
7. Hurricane Cocktail, Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen - I wonder if they even put any juice in it, or is it all alchohol?

That's it for now.... I know I missed some. My stomach is starting to growl!

DisneylandKid
07-27-2001, 09:44 AM
I love the skewers at the Bengal Barbecue in Adventureland...and even the pizza seems to taste better at Redd Rockett's Pizza Port.

Dlandmom
07-27-2001, 09:46 AM
I'm so starving right now, I can't believe you posted this!

Okay, let's see...

1. The old Thunder Ranch bbq was awesome! They have bbq at Rancho del Zocalo, but it's not quite the same...ver good, but not like Thunder Ranch!

2. The mushroom soup at PCH Grill is awesome. I'm a mushroom soup fanatic, and something about it at PCH is so addicting!

3. The fritters in NOS are awesome, too! They used to be bigger, but they're still pretty good in their current smaller size!

4. The pasta dishes at Redd Rocket's are pretty good too!

Okay, I've got to go find something to munch on now!

mad4mky
07-27-2001, 09:59 AM
MMMMM....The Pork Loin Roast at the Blue Bayou...!
They put a sauce on it that are just out of this world. They serve them with the most delicious potatoes that are not quite au gratin or scalloped, and whole slices of spiced warm apples I'm craving it just thinking about it.:p

adriennek
07-27-2001, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't classify Hurricanes as something you can only get at DLR. The French Quarter (the real one) has them everywhere ;) And I do have to say that I've had one at Pat O'Brien's (http://www.patobriens.com/home.html) on Bourbon Street on the patio (http://www.patobriens.com/thepatio.html) with the flaming fountain (it looks better at night than in that picture.) THAT'S an only in New Orleans experience.

As for my DLR picks:

Bacon-wrapped Asparagus

Dlandmom-- I agree with you re: mushroom soup at PCH, but have you had their asparagus soup? It's also YUMMMMMMMMMMY

The endive salad at Catal in DTD is to die for, also, IMO (although I order it without walnuts. Don't need them and I don't need the mouth sores they give me, either.)

I'll think of more later, I'm sure.

Adrienne K

Dlandmom
07-27-2001, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by adriennek

Dlandmom-- I agree with you re: mushroom soup at PCH, but have you had their asparagus soup? It's also YUMMMMMMMMMMY

The endive salad at Catal in DTD is to die for, also, IMO (although I order it without walnuts. Don't need them and I don't need the mouth sores they give me, either.)

Adrienne K

No, I haven't tried their asparagus soup! Care to join me there one of these days?! I went to the Practically Perfect Tea last weekend for the first time...the soup du jour was the mushroom soup! I was in heaven! I was tempted to ask for seconds...!

Ooo, endive salad...okay, wanna join me for salad at Catal and then head over to PCH for the soup?!

beanpole
07-27-2001, 11:44 AM
Here's a typical day's worth of my favorite DL delicacies:

(1) Breakfast: Chocolate muffins with chocolate chips at the Blue Ribbon Bakery, served slightly warmed and washed down with a double mocha.

(2) Mid-morning snack: Dole pineapple whip.

(3) Lunch: Fried chicken platter at the Plaza Inn.

(4) Mid-afternoon snack: chocolate-strawberry churro (you have to hunt around to find a cart that sells them, but they are insanely good!).

(5) Dinner: Chicken-Caesar salad and Pizza Breadsticks (with plenty of tomato sauce and parmesan cheese for dipping) at Redd Rockett's Pizza Port.

(6) Dessert: Mickie Mouse chocolate-covered ice cream bar

(7) Late-night snack: A bag of coconut peanut brittle from the Main Street candy shop.

(8) After-park midnight feast: Onion rings and tortilla soup at Millies.

(9) Pre-bedtime remedy: 3 Tums.

Will D.
07-27-2001, 11:45 AM
I used to enjoy the mint juleps in New Orleans Square. Then I heard someone say "These taste like mouthwash". That ruined them forever...sigh...

SimpTwister
07-27-2001, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky
MMMMM....The Pork Loin Roast at the Blue Bayou...!
They put a sauce on it that are just out of this world. They serve them with the most delicious potatoes that are not quite au gratin or scalloped, and whole slices of spiced warm apples I'm craving it just thinking about it.:p

I'm right with ya there. I'm about 90% vegetarian, but I think I could eat Blue Bayou Pork every day!!

Must...save...some...apples...for...last...bites.. .of...pork...
(CHOMP) ah, crap. Oh well... :D

lisap
07-27-2001, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by beanpole
Here's a typical day's worth of my favorite DL delicacies:

(1) Breakfast: Chocolate muffins with chocolate chips at the Blue Ribbon Bakery, served slightly warmed and washed down with a double mocha.

(2) Mid-morning snack: Dole pineapple whip.

(3) Lunch: Fried chicken platter at the Plaza Inn.

(4) Mid-afternoon snack: chocolate-strawberry churro (you have to hunt around to find a cart that sells them, but they are insanely good!).

(5) Dinner: Chicken-Caesar salad and Pizza Breadsticks (with plenty of tomato sauce and parmesan cheese for dipping) at Redd Rockett's Pizza Port.

(6) Dessert: Mickie Mouse chocolate-covered ice cream bar

(7) Late-night snack: A bag of coconut peanut brittle from the Main Street candy shop.

(8) After-park midnight feast: Onion rings and tortilla soup at Millies.

(9) Pre-bedtime remedy: 3 Tums.

Mr. Beanpole:
You are a god. (little g.)
Make that two immodiums before bed and you've got a deal.
:)

80S ERA
07-27-2001, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
I wouldn't classify Hurricanes as something you can only get at DLR. The French Quarter (the real one) has them everywhere ;) And I do have to say that I've had one at Pat O'Brien's (http://www.patobriens.com/home.html) on Bourbon Street on the patio (http://www.patobriens.com/thepatio.html) with the flaming fountain (it looks better at night than in that picture.) THAT'S an only in New Orleans experience.

True. But I think New Orleans is a bit far. I'll stick to the ones at DTD. :p I know - you could find a hurrican anywhere... but our bartender really "hooked us up" the night we went.

Sure could use 1 or 2 (or 3) right now....:D

Alex S.
07-27-2001, 01:18 PM
Those are mint juleps? That explains things, I always wondered why New Orleans Square has a mouthwash bar.

amynicole22
07-27-2001, 02:57 PM
Apple Churros sold from the cart in front of HM...so tasty...mmmm...also Merry Berry Churros at holidaytime.

Dole Whips, Mint Juleps, Fritters with Berry Sauce...

Mmmm...

KarenW2
07-27-2001, 07:31 PM
My favorite munchies at Disneyland are the butter toffee cashews, almonds & peanuts (I think they're called Adams & Brooks, or something like that), assorted sour balls, and definitely Dole Whip! :D I never had one til the day of the Mouse Adventure.

At DCA, I like the sourdough bread bowls at Pacific Wharf Cafe, tho it's been WAY too hot for soup lately!! And the FREE tortillas, both corn & flour, at the Mission Tortilla Factory. Sure wish they'd go back to giving out WHOLE tortillas, not half ones! How cheap can you get?!

BTW, does anyone know where else I could find those butter toffee nuts? They used to sell them at the Broadway, in the candy department, but there are no more Broadway stores around anymore.

Andrew
07-27-2001, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by KarenW2
BTW, does anyone know where else I could find those butter toffee nuts? They used to sell them at the Broadway, in the candy department, but there are no more Broadway stores around anymore.

MouseShoppe (http://www.mouseshoppe.com/)? :D

adriennek
07-28-2001, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by 80S ERA

Sure could use 1 or 2 (or 3) right now....:D

OH GEEZ. Half way through my first (and only to date) hurricane at Pat O'Brien's, I was definately toasty. I remember trying to walk to the bathroom through the crowded patio-- that was...interesting. (I was also downing water -- I *know* I'm a lightweight, so I was pacing myself.)

I can't even imagine what would've happened to me if I'd had more than one that night.

Adrienne K

Gemini Cricket
07-28-2001, 12:19 PM
The Plaza Inn used to have a huge platter of angel hair pasta w/ shrimp. That was good carbo loading food to start the day with.

Nfatuated
07-28-2001, 08:40 PM
Even though teh BTR is closed i love the BBQ plater with the ribs and half a chicken, and the cornbread is awsome. I also love to get a caesar salad and chicken fussili as well as an order of foaccia bread ( I share of Course), at Redds's. i just noticed they have Turkey legs Back @ DL on those carts but I was stuffed already. For desert I love the chocolate brownie a la mode served at Casa.

FantasmicFan82
07-30-2001, 07:26 PM
If I don't have breakfast at Mickey-D's on my way to DL, i'll have it in the park, anywhere that'll sell the whole breakfast thing.

Of course, sometime troughtout the day I MUST (MUST) get a churro and a Pickle. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If I go with more than 5 people, we all have lunch or early dinner at Redd Rocketts. Ppizza, and Ceasar salad, very tasty.

Sit to watch for the 9:30 Fantasmic! (always in the same place) and i'lll wait there from before 6 if nessesary. at about 8:45-9:00 i'd squeeze my way through to get a bowl of clam chowder (My favorite food at DL) unless, i've already had dinner,t hen just a churro.

LightGuy20
07-31-2001, 03:15 AM
There are apple churros? I've never seen those. Guess I have to plan a trip down to DL now.

Gotta love the tiger tail (cinnamon pastry) and a pink lemonade from the Bengal Barbeque.

Anyone know if the PCH grill still has the hoisen bbq ribs? I remember those being great.

The vanilla saltwater taffy from Main Street is also really good. Not too oily/buttery like the stuff I can get here. Just nice and smooth. :)

winniepooh
07-31-2001, 03:21 AM
The Mickey mouse waffles are my favorite..

Served with the Rasberry Icetea, thats the one meal in the park I cannot go without...

PirateoftheCaribbean
07-31-2001, 08:20 AM
I can't live without a pretzel and cheese sauce, and a Clarabelle's Frozen Yogurt. And I have always got to go to Plaza Inn for Penne Pasta.

Permanecer Sentados
07-31-2001, 12:49 PM
The Seafood Parisienne at Cafe Orleans.

Do they even have this anymore?

Dlandmom
07-31-2001, 02:43 PM
I can't believe I forgot...the fruit sours...for some reason, the ones at Disneyland taste better than any other sours I've had elsewhere.

It's the ones that have the harder outer shell that's fruity and it's a jelly bean type center.

Anyone else like them? I used to keep them in a candy dish in my office, but they'd disappear in a flash...and I wasn't the one eating them all!

Kevin Yee
07-31-2001, 03:17 PM
The Seafood Parisienne is no longer at Cafe. In fact, both Cafe Orleans and French Market have completely new menus, as of about three weeks ago. (the chowder breadbowls are the only things left from the old menu).

A column about this is coming in about two weeks, so until then we'll have to just mourn the loss of those items :)