PDA

View Full Version : Possible band-aid to DCA's attendance woes

Ghoulish Delight
03-07-2003, 12:36 PM
I've come up with an idea that, while certainly not a magic pill or anything, could boost DCA's attendance numbers a bit. For Deluxe APs, remove blockout days for DCA, keeping the DL blockout days the same. And, if they are fealing really generous, remove some of the SoCal DCA blockout days as well (maybe give them the Deluxe blockout schedule).

Now, I wouldn't suspect every AP holder would say, "Well, I can't got to Disneyland, but at least I can go to DCA! Thank god!" But, certainly with at least half a million AP holders out there, some statistically significant number would take advantage of the opportunity. If it gives DCA somewhat of a boost on those crucial holiday/summer attendance days where they are still sorely lacking, it can't hurt.

Of course, as someone pointed out to me, that would require Disney to admit that DCA is of lesser value than DL, which they have stubbornly refused to do. The other option repeatedly bandied about is simply lowering the standard ticket price to $20 or $30. But I think my option would be admitting a little less defeat than lowering standard admission. First of all, APs are not advertised at all, so it's not like there'd be big media exposure to the lowered value. And, they'd only be admitting it to AP holders, most of which are far from fooled into thinking the two are of equal value. So very little harm in overall opinion would be done.

Just an idea I've been pondering.

Morrigoon
03-07-2003, 12:53 PM
But honestly, if DCA's admission was lowered to $25/day, it would finally be worth it. It's half a park, it should be half price. But if that happened, then we shouldn't be too disappointed if Disney started hawking their cheaper merch over there.

I think lowering DCA's ticket price would be a great move. They could start with a Socal special this summer and then "generously" or "by popular demand" set all ticket prices to the new level after the summer season.

RStar
03-07-2003, 04:25 PM
They should have had the insight to start with a lower price to begin with.

And the other problem with that plan, GD, is that some guests (and I use that term lightly;) ) will argue that if they can get into DCA, then they should be able to get into DL.

However, I would think that marketing that they are giving their "Most important guests" a free "extra" by letting them into DCA with the APs on block out dates would not nessisarily be admitting that DCA isn't worth the purchase price. And they would only be marketing that to the APers, not the general public.

Tink0706
03-09-2003, 02:40 PM
I can see how lifting the block on APs would help attendance, but on the selfish side I liked having a less crowded park last summer and am looking forward to it again this summer. It was pleasant not to have to battle the crowds all day long, although the rides all had long waits.

Crazy NY person that I am I enjoyed DCA. It has a relaxed air that WDW and DL don't seem to have, could be the crowd thing again!

mcampisi
03-09-2003, 02:59 PM
Admittedly it's not the best for Disney, but I do love being able to walk through a fairly empty DCA. Very relaxing.