PDA

View Full Version : Street Party . . . I'm not a fan

bduff
04-08-2010, 03:23 PM
We weren’t planning on viewing the “Street Party” that serves as the DL parade, based on lackluster reviews I’d read about it, but we changed out minds on a whim and saw it when we were at DLR last week. There were enough people lining the route that you can’t call it a total failure, but man, it comes close. I imagine this was supposed to appeal to the tweeners, but it doesn’t seem to. The only kids they were able to coax out there on the day I saw it were the very young ones. The kids that were out there did seem to have fun with it, I’ll give it that much. At least until a song was over, because the transition of getting the kids back to their parents wasn’t always very smooth. The performers have to rush and change their costumes or props to get ready for the next number, so they kind of turn their back on the kids abruptly once a song is over and leave the kids on their own. Not that it was a big problem, but still, not the best transition.

The bigger problem is that the performers themselves had trouble disguising how corny they seem to feel the whole thing is. There were lots of smirks and eye rolls exchanged between the performers as they did the routine, as if to say “we’re better than this.” And I can’t say I blame them. Another drawback to the Street Party is that many guests at the third performance stop (where we viewed it) didn’t do the math to figure out that it would be closer to 4:00 before it got to us, even though it is listed as starting at 3:30. By the time the announcements came over the loudspeakers informing the guests that it would still be a while before the street party got to us, there wasn’t enough time to go do something else and still be back in time. All in all, the sooner they replace the Street Party with a real parade, the better, IMHO.

HauntedKid
04-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Totally agree with you...

MadasaHatter
04-10-2010, 10:24 AM
I miss the MOVIE THEMED parades!!!

The ALADDIN CARAVAN was awesome.

THe HERCULES parade with the Muses rocking some gospel was awesome.

And as far as I am concerned the LION KING parade could STILL be goin on.

BRING THEM BACK!

houseofmouse
04-10-2010, 10:57 AM
The kids love this parade. The CM may think they are above it but they are getting paid for it. How is it any different than the other dancing they do in the other parades? My DD loved getting out there and dancing with the female dancer and Pooh and I loved getting the memory on film.:)

dznyphreak
04-10-2010, 11:29 AM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I love Celebrate! True, it's not of the caliber we came to expect after Parade of Dreams, but I think it's a blast for what it is. The music (although mostly not Disney) is so much fun and I've definitely seen older kids and grown-ups (including my 20-year-old self) twisting and conga-ing with the biggest smiles on their faces. I think more would dance if they loosened up their self-conscious inhibitions a little more and just had fun with it. I love the costumes, I love the characters, I love the choreography. Most of the time the dancers seem to be having fun. Maybe the reason they acted that way was because it was the third show stop? I've seen it enough times to know how much more tired they are by that point than they are out the gate and are probably anxious to get off the route. I feel like the dances are more intense and tiring in C!ASP than they were in PoD, but I could be wrong. So I forgive their lack of enthusiasm by the time they reach the end. I'm not so sure I could keep it up for 45 minutes myself.

From what I hear, Celebrate! is going to stick around for a few more months. I know it's not everyone's favorite, but I couldn't be happier.

curtsinore
04-10-2010, 11:48 AM
After the performance, at MS hub, I was able to go out into street along curb and pick up all the colorful mickey mouse heads created from tissue paper that were shot out of the small pipe cannons. Some went into my scrapbook, others back at the motel to sprinkle of the floor and my son's pillow and bathroom counter ( which was not a good idea as wet tissue paper is really messy!!). And I have one still in my wallet!! So, the one plus is all the free stuff and seeing rare characters like Wendy!!! But I would encourage first time visitors that 30 mins is enough time to wait for stage show and plan at the near end during the performance to have your youngsters ready to be part of the show.

leota's necklace
04-10-2010, 06:58 PM
I forgive their lack of enthusiasm by the time they reach the end. I'm not so sure I could keep it up for 45 minutes myself.

I wouldn't. As entertainers, that is their job. I'm sure it's a gauntlet, but if you go for a role in a parade, that's what you have signed up for.

mechurchlady
04-11-2010, 09:00 PM
My 84 year old mother and I love this parade. She tries to see it every time we are there. She likes Pixar but this one has music and she loves the music.

charpaul
04-11-2010, 10:46 PM
I don't hate this "parade", but I resent that it was the replacement for Parade of Dreams. And in my opinion it is not a good replacement.
It was originally going to be a much shorter street party celebration IN ADDITION to a daily parade. (This is what they did at WDW - where they have a daily parade two times during the day, two performances of Street Party AND a night time parade - Spectromagic.)

We still do not have a "Disney Parade" at Disneyland. We have a Street Celebration that does three performances on the parade route and only uses two Disney songs in the whole show.

I kind of feel cheated by this.

TowerofTerror
04-11-2010, 10:59 PM
The parade is okay I like Parade of Dreams better then this parade

BIRDGIRLS
04-12-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't like it much.. to me it doesn't seem "Disney"-ish, the songs are kinda annoying.. that and they stop in the most inconvenient places for people who don't want to watch the parade.. we're talking a looong walk around it to get to where you wanna go.. Someone mentioned the movie-themed parades.. those were good stuff! I LOVED the Lion King parade when I was a kid.. good stuff