PDA

View Full Version : Cast Members playing their role

bduff
04-05-2010, 04:44 PM
This observation from our just completed trip to DLR . . . on some attractions, and I noticed this most on ToT, it helps the experience if the CM's attempt to portray themselves in a role. Most of the CM's on ToT when we went on it did a great job of acting like they were working at a creepy hotel where something not right was about to happen. It could be subtle gestures and the way they spoke in a slow, monotone voice. But it helps immerse you in the experience. The contast, then, when you have another CM on the same attraction making zero attempt to play a role can be striking. The CM who loaded and unloaded us from the elevator appeared bored and disinterested in her job and rushed through her routine with no apparent attempt to be "in character." Kind of shame when one CM can undo the effect that most the other CM's are helping to achieve for the guests.

ChrisGlass
04-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Yesterday when leaving the store, one of the CMs told me to 'Drop by again sometime.'

oregontraveler
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
My last trip, we were on the train passing Small World and saw the floats
linging up for the afternoon parade. Most of the characters were laid back and talking to each other, but not Pooh. He turned his back on the others and was
waving to the folks on the train. How cool is that to have that frame of mind backstage. Which brings me to my other parade observation in Orlando.

Although I think this was more of a requirement. I was parked outside the
Barber Shop. As the floats/dancers passed by, they still had to go another 50
yards before turning left and acutally being out of view. They kept up their routines performing to an empty backstage until then. :cool:

BlkPearlCptn
04-05-2010, 06:38 PM
I miss just sitting and watching Captain Jack...I never EVER saw any of his "friends" drop character for even a second. Still upset that WDW continues to have him and Disneyland doesn't... well, except for Mickey's Trick or Treat Party. But was always impressed with the good Captain.

fairestoneofall
04-05-2010, 07:32 PM
I miss just sitting and watching Captain Jack...I never EVER saw any of his "friends" drop character for even a second. Still upset that WDW continues to have him and Disneyland doesn't... well, except for Mickey's Trick or Treat Party. But was always impressed with the good Captain.
I miss him, too! I think the last time I saw him was about a year and a half ago.

MadasaHatter
04-05-2010, 11:18 PM
I always give breaks considering that there are always NEWBIES but I have to agree with you all. IT makes a difference and I get the same ToT experience HIT OR MISS. Unfortunately A LOT of guests don't really pay attention to the CM'S which is sad.

I remember the first time I went on the HAUNTED MANSION as a kid and everyone in the attraction was totally in character and it was SO cool. Actually I remember all of the attractions were a little better. Lots of PIRATES in the POC and very swiss looking blondes on the MATTERHORN. Everyone one in FANTASYLAND was markedly different than TOMORROWLAND. BTMRR had cowboys whooping it up. IT really does make for a great experience.

Mickey has always been pretty fantastic though.

ANd after all....I am mad....

dlfansx4
04-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Oh, I agree. There is one CM that I love to see at ToT becauase he plays the role so well.

Oregontraveler - we had the same experience on the train. It must have been during the holidays. As we passed the backstage crossing by Small World, the seven dwarfs were waiting for the train to pass and they all were waving to the people on the train. My kids loved it :-)

DisneyMouse
04-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Oh, I agree. There is one CM that I love to see at ToT becauase he plays the role so well.

There is a guy we love on ToT we have seen him twice now, and both times he was fantastic. I don't know if I could post his name. He isn't "well known" yet but he might be one day if he keeps up how he is!

houseofmouse
04-06-2010, 11:13 AM
My two favorite in character rides are TOT and Haunted Mansion! We have had all good CM's on TOT. I loved the guy whose face was right there when the elevator doors opened after the ride was over! We all screamed, it was great!

I have never encountered a CM on Pirates who tried to be all "piratey" but that would be fun!

The ones on HM that won't smile and talk very monotone are fun to have!

LegoMom
04-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Yesterday when leaving the store, one of the CMs told me to 'Drop by again sometime.'

They said the same thing to me when i was there last month. I giggled. :D

CariBelle
04-06-2010, 11:31 AM
I loved the guy whose face was right there when the elevator doors opened after the ride was over!

I love when they do that!

njdrummer
04-06-2010, 12:55 PM
There was a CM in the loading/unloading area of POC once who gave the instructions speaking "Pirate."
That was pretty funny.

cookie7762
04-07-2010, 06:16 PM
I agree. I would love it if ALL the CMs were in some sort of character, not just the spooky ones. It really wouldn't be that difficult to instate. Now I'm trying to imagine what kind of character acting I would expect at each ride!

Tan Da Man
04-07-2010, 09:40 PM
I will suggest that if you guys really enjoy your CM's then please go to City Hall and tell them how good they were. It is really special when I get customer service compliments...it seems guests are always so quick to go to City Hall to complain, but not to compliment.

MadasaHatter
04-08-2010, 09:27 AM
I fell old saying this but when I was referring to the "OLD DAYS" the whole park was in character! EVERYONE on the pirates was acting like a pirate, EVERYONE in the HM all spooky, EVERYONE in Frontierland was WILD WEST etc. Fantasyland was of course more sedate and Tomorrowland also so you could be over there I suppose if you weren't the "ACTOR"type. Not the case anymore....*sigh*

THAT SAID, I make it a policy to NOT complain in general. I only compliment at CITY HALL!!! Life is too short and honestly my biggest complaint is with the public not the CM's. And in ALL FAIRNESS to DL, I notice that when the CM's in HM or ToT are spot on AT LEAST 50% if the public take NO NOTICE. I have had some "bad" service but I just forge ahead and then my day is not ruined.....of course I am MAD!

DebT
04-08-2010, 07:17 PM
On of the best CMs we saw ever was the Santa Claus at the Paradise Pier Hotel in December. When my DS 7 went to visit him he was wearing a Jack Skellinton shirt. Santa's first words were "Do you know he put me in a sack?!?" He was not at all please with DS's shirt and made it known. For the picture Santa used both of his hands to cover Jack's picture on the front of DS's shirt. He was great. We were laughing about this encounter again tonight.

HobbitFeet
04-18-2010, 11:39 PM
On of the best CMs we saw ever was the Santa Claus at the Paradise Pier Hotel in December. When my DS 7 went to visit him he was wearing a Jack Skellinton shirt. Santa's first words were "Do you know he put me in a sack?!?" He was not at all please with DS's shirt and made it known. For the picture Santa used both of his hands to cover Jack's picture on the front of DS's shirt. He was great. We were laughing about this encounter again tonight.

Oh I LOVE that! I personally am not big on characters (or Santa, not having grown up with the idea of him being real), but DS and DH love them all, and I think if we'd had a Santa like that I would have really enjoyed it.

(the PPH Santa DS met was kind of a dud back in '08)

DaDuckFan1955
04-23-2010, 03:40 PM
When we were there this last May the CM's at the HM were into their parts, but one of them really got into it. when the lights went off as the room descended and everything went dark, he began in a slow spooky drawl, then flashed on the flash light under his chin illuminating his face in an eerie shadow and saying suddenly in a booming voice "LOOK ALIVE" a couple of girls really let out a solid scream.

It really makes for a better attraction when the CM's get into their roles, instead of acting just like employee's.

I notated his name and left a note with City Hall on his superb performance creating even more magic for us.