PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Autopia?

Pages : [1] 2

jamsandwich
03-06-2003, 04:53 PM
I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts on Autopia are... it's obviously a ride oriented towards young people, but is it worth keeping around or is it something that Disney should put to pasture?

If I recall correctly, it takes up a lot of real estate, does it not? Could a new, fairly major attraction take its place (not that it would)?

-J

Pony Sugrue
03-06-2003, 05:14 PM
I agree with you whole heartedly on Autopia being boring and taking up a ot of real estate... but since they blew all that coin dressing it up a few years back, they won't consider that for awhile.

For some reason it is very popular too. I guess none of us adults care to ride it because we just drove all the way to DISNEYLAND... and we sure as heck don't want to get there and just "drive" again.

Now I don't mind "driving" on "Mr Toad's Wild Ride"... but that's because it is themed... AND THAT IS WHAT AUTOPIA NEEDS. Theme it with tunnels and such. Give everyone older than 15 a reason to go on it. Put some of those old AA's from Frontierland in there for a desert part and an old downtown gangster-era part.

mousketeer
03-06-2003, 06:42 PM
I sincerely hope it is never moved to DCA. Autopia is Tomorrowlands's only remaining original attraction, it was completely refurbished, it is extremely popular, and in 1955, the freeway was the future. And with the new theme "the future as invisioned in the past", I think it fits in great. Want some adjustments for Tomorrowland, try fixing the Space Mountain audio, a new show for Star Tours, a replacement for Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, reopening Circle Vision (talk about unused space), and fix the people movers's structural problems caused by Rocket Rods!

rexfarms
03-06-2003, 06:50 PM
Although I dont go on it everytime(or every other time) I cannot imagine the Park without it. Its as much of Disneyland as passing under the Tunnels on Mainstreet.

MonorailMan
03-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Keep it.

But, if you wanted to twek with it, trun it into a Segopia. Have Segways on a track, that have special sensors, that prevent bumping. ;)

rexfarms
03-06-2003, 07:16 PM
Thinking about it, there have been threads on this topic before.:)

robsmustang
03-06-2003, 07:33 PM
i liked it when i went ther in the early 90s when there was a rescue rangers theme to it

experiment626
03-06-2003, 08:14 PM
Ya gotta keep it, it is a classic. I personally do not go to Tom Sawyers Island but it sure would be odd to NOT have it there anymore.

adriennek
03-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Ok, I'm gonna pull the mommy card on this one. What was Walt's purpose? To have a theme park that families could enjoy together.

Now the way I see it, Autopia isn't about me, it's about my son. He loves that ride. And it's got enough to it that I can go on it with him and experience how much he loves the chance to drive a car.

So this ride is right up Walt's Alley. I think there needs to be a balance.

Oh, heck, it's fun. Keep it.

Adrienne K

rexfarms
03-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Thats just it, you love that he loves it.:)

adriennek
03-06-2003, 09:17 PM
True, but there are other things he loves that I can't tolerate ;) There are rides he loves that I look at him and think: Are you really my kid??? Example: Tuck & Roll's Bumper Cars. Ick. shudder

But Autopia works for me. :D It's a ride that I can love that he loves.

Adrienne K

YellowMan
03-06-2003, 09:53 PM
I think the Autopia falls into the same category as the Jungle Cruise (although I greatly prefer the Jungle Cruise). They are both classic rides that take up a very large amount of space. We all love them and think of them as essential parts of Disneyland, but we wish that the large footprint they take up could be smaller.

Personally, if they decided to remove the Autopia I would be bummed, but considering it's been at least a year since I last rode it I don't think it would bother me for very long. So long as they replaced it with a new ride (or rides) and didn't just close it and leave the space empty.

rexfarms
03-06-2003, 10:36 PM
Slightly off topic, but it seems like there is a lot of empty space around that area. Is there any place that is "secret" and is not "populated" by a lot of guests. Nothing backstage just a "hidden" area. :confused:

Polar33
03-07-2003, 12:13 AM
No secret areas...heck even backstage there is nothing of interest other than a service road and the sub maintenance building.

Even with Autopia where it is there is still a lot of dead space back in that area. I’m sure that something could be made that would fit perfectly in that area. Same thing with the sub lagoon, the show building has tons of space that could be modified for a new attraction. Granted the Autopia takes up a lot of space, but it’s still popular after almost 50 years…and one of the few reasons for one to venture into Tomorrowland now of days.

Tref
03-07-2003, 07:38 AM
Well, I was going to say how much I hate Autopia and how it takes up precious space, etc. but Mousketeer & Adriennek convinced me otherwise. For all my complaining about soft rides & Toontown; Autopia IS one of those special rides that Walt conceived for both parents & their kids. I have avoided it for years, but I'll check it out next time.

mad4mky
03-07-2003, 08:32 AM
Personally...I can't stand Autopia.

But, I loved it as a kid...and my kids love it. They feel like they are actually driving a car (in a sense, they are). No other car driving attractions are like Disney's, as they are on tracks, and you can't move them by the wheel in either direction.
My oldest girl, now that she drives, could care less about Autopia, unless we are with her sisters...then she loves to go, as she enjoys watching them...as I do.
When my youngest and I went to DLR alone this past fall...we must have rode Autopia 6 times in a row...because she just loves it.

For my kids sake. I hope it stays...

And... I have to add...our DLR Autopia is 900% times better than WDW's. Their attraction is laid out like a big racetrack...and you just drive in a big loop. It doesn't have the charm and ingenuity as DLR's has.

TheMur
03-07-2003, 10:06 AM
I'm glad to see to change in the tone of this thread.

As an adult, I don't care one way or the other about Autopia - I wouldn't ride it if I was at DL by myself. I get to drive for 5 hours at speeds that are greater than the law permits as I drive from the Bay Area to the DLR so I get my share of driving.

As a kid though, being able to drive a car was "magic." And it is that same way with my kids now. For that reason, I love Autopia and it should stay.

Additionally, I am all for bringing back all the motion in Tommorrowland. I loved how that felt.

Ghoulish Delight
03-07-2003, 10:30 AM
I loved Autopia as a kid, and I still love it today. Perhaps it's simply because of the residual love I still have for it (it used to be right up there as one of my favorite rides), but I ride it almost every time I go. Don't know what it is, but it just does it for me.

As for the space it takes up, there's plenty of other real estate available before they even begin to have to worry about tearing Autopia out. Things that immediately come to mind (and have been mention ad nauseum on the boards) are the Big Thunder BBQ/festival area. Sure, it's used for the occasional corporate event, but that can easily be transitioned elsewhere (and use less space). There's a TON of useable area back there. Then there's Commercialventions. The tiny shreds of worthwhile content that's in there combined with the blatant advertising, mindless video gaming, and ridiculous displays of "cutting edge technology" that were practically out of date when installed is SO not worth the ammount of space that building takes up. Either put something far more worthwhile in, or level the building and start something new. Certainly Autopia has more value than either of those two large footprint items.

MammaSilva
03-07-2003, 10:32 AM
If they take out Autopia, a major meltdown will happen in the Silva house, it is the only place my little one will ever be able to drive, we ride that darn thing every single day while we are at the parks, she is finally tall enough to push the pedal and drive but can't multi task well enough so the only thing I wish they did was have double 'gas pedals' for us poor short mommys that have to be the alcelerator facilitators.....

Her older cousins still love taking her on the ride because of the joy in her face as she 'drives' them thru the park. Her oldest cousin is "da bomb" because he not only lets her drive he narrates the whole trip as they are going thru the different areas.....and teases her about turning to hard or going to slow (never mind HE is controling the gas pedal :) )

I have way too many wonderful memories of the kids on that ride to ever want to see it replaced, updated and refurbed and changed are cool tho.

mad4mky
03-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by mammasilva
If they take out Autopia, a major meltdown will happen in the Silva house, it is the only place my little one will ever be able to drive,

I hear you mammasilva...loud and clear. Just like Brandy, this will probably be the only place my Kendall will be able to really "drive". I'd really hate for the Disney exec's to take away that joy from our kids...

(Maybe a letter writing brigade will help keep the ride safely put for our kids and future generations of kids...)

adriennek
03-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by mammasilva
the only thing I wish they did was have double 'gas pedals' for us poor short mommys that have to be the alcelerator facilitators.....

I have a short mommy. I don't have a lot of Disney memories with my mom from when I was a kid but one of my favorite was my mom stretching sideways and reaching to push that pedal so we could drive :)

Adrienne K

MammaSilva
03-07-2003, 11:17 AM
LOL ... well my knee is getting progressively worse so next trip I'm bringing a cane, more for autopia than anything else...so I can use IT to facilitate :)

mad4mky
03-07-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
I have a short mommy. I don't have a lot of Disney memories with my mom from when I was a kid but one of my favorite was my mom stretching sideways and reaching to push that pedal so we could drive :)

Adrienne K

You guys are singing my song...:D :eek:

PineapplePrincess
03-07-2003, 12:43 PM
I LOVED this ride when I was little. I really truely thought I was driving and I called my dad 'silly' when he told my 5 year old self that it was on a track.
I think that it would be cool if they could update it to seem like you are driving flying cars.

rexfarms
03-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Personally, I would love to see some sort of sensers that will automatically stop the cars before the enter the station and at the right stop. This would be loved by CMs and reduce injury.