PDA

View Full Version : Catal Uva Bar and Cafe - dinner - March 2, 2003

cstephens
03-06-2003, 03:16 PM
A group of us decided to have dinner at the downstairs uva bar of Catal as we hadn't eaten there since the recent menu change, and there were a few things that some of us wanted to try. When we got there at about 6:30, we were told that the wait for indoor seating was about half an hour, but that there was immediate outdoor seating. None of us had sat outside before, and since it wasn't that cold a night, and there were heaters set up outside, we decided to go with the outdoor seating. Most of us ended up having our dinner with our jackets still on, and one person who didn't have a jacket was a bit chilly even with the heaters, but I can definitely see how pleasant it is to sit outside in comfortable weather.

My husband and I decided to start by splitting the shrimp and pork rolls, which we really liked. The outside was very crunchy, and the peanut sauce gave it an extra flavor. Another person who ended up having the rolls for dinner enjoyed them as well. For my main course, I decided to have the cheeseburger. It is a bit more expensive than your normal restaurant cheeseburger, but I think it's very much worth it as the meat is very good quality and you get a sizable patty, and I liked the freshness of the accompanying lettuce and tomato. By the time I put the entire cheeseburger together, it was actually quite high, so the group laughed at me as I tried to figure out a way to eat the higher-than-normal cheeseburger. The cheeseburger is also accompanied by a generous serving of french fries.

This season, a pastrami sandwich has been added to the menu, and two of the people ordered that and enjoyed it very much. If I have a chance to go back while it's still on the menu, I'll probably try that as I like pastrami. Another person in our group wanted the caesar salad, but the size of the salad was more than she wanted. On our previous visit, one of the people had ordered the salad, so we told her how generous the portion was. When she ordered, she told the waitress that she really only wanted an appetizer-sized portion of the caesar salad, and the waitress said they had no problem accommodating that. When they brought the salad, she was happy with the size and pricing of what she was served and enjoyed the salad as well.

One thing to note that we didn't until after the bill arrived - non-soda drinks can be fairly expensive there. One of the people in our group ordered an alcoholic drink which ended up being almost the price of the cheeseburger, and another person ordered a hot chocolate, which he said he really enjoyed, but which we thought was a bit overpriced at $4. The drink menu doesn't necessarily list prices, so if that's a concern, it might be best to ask about the price before ordering.

One of the things I really enjoyed about the ambience of sitting outside is the music that is played. I've walked by the outdoor seating area many times and often enjoyed the snippets of music I've heard, but this is the first time I'd had a chance to listen to it for any length of time. While there were some songs that none of us knew, there were also a number of "blast to the past" songs that we enjoyed, and we ended up playing "name that tune" and "name that artist" during some of those songs. Gotta love a place where you can hear The Pointer Sisters, KC and the Sunshine Band and Thelma Houston, all within a 20 minute period!

The meal was just as good as other other we've had at Catal, either upstairs or downstairs, and the waitress was very friendly. I would definitely recommend the outdoor seating when the weather permits, and I think it would be lovely to sit outside in late spring or early summer.

HBTiggerFan
03-06-2003, 04:26 PM
I sure hope you post all your restaurant reviews in the MousePlanet restaurant review section! It sure needs more new reviews and you seem to post a lot of them on MousePad, though I never see them in the review section.

Anyways I wanted to provide my entire post as a link to a submit form for the Uva Bar in case you weren't sure how to submit a review, all you have to do is click on this post and you will be able to submit your review! It would be so awesome to have a new review to read in the review section. Thanks in advance for helping out the MousePlanet Review section by posting your review! (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/submit.cgi?product-sku=catal)

JeffG
03-06-2003, 05:19 PM
I believe the poster in question has her own site for her reviews...

-Jeff

jamsandwich
03-06-2003, 05:50 PM
I just want to add that I really appreciate it when the regulars post their reviews and opinions like this.

My wife and I are headed down in April, and while it's only been a couple of years since our last trip, we're planning to do a few things differently (like test out a few on-site eateries), and we're also interested in the changes since our last trip.

It's also good hearing occasionally about some of the attractions we didn't ride in previous visits (Roger Rabbit one of those).

So I guess this is just a big "you rock!" I wanted to post here, because the restaurant reviews are the best part :)

-J

cemeinke
03-06-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by JeffG
I believe the poster in question has her own site for her reviews...

-Jeff

So why does she post them here? Where she forfeits her copyright to MousePlanet? At least it seems that way according to the Community Policies:

By posting on this board you grant MousePlanet, Inc., a nonexclusive irrevocable right to reuse your posting in any manner it sees fit without notice or compensation to you.

Seems they can just cut and paste it into the reviews if they want to.

Sheila
03-06-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
So why does she post them here? Where she forfeits her copyright to MousePlanet? At least it seems that way according to the Community Policies:

Heh. I guarantee I won't be doing that. :D

Actually, we have a ton of reviews coming into the review system. It's just that there are so many restaurants and hotels spread amongst the Disney resorts that the number of submitted reviews just *look* a little on the sparse side (but it ain't).

Keep 'em coming in, folks! Much appreciated. :)

Sheila

cstephens
03-06-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
So why does she post them here?

Because I thought some people might find them interesting and/or informational. I've gotten some good feedback, so I'm presuming that someone is getting some use out of them at least. I post them to a couple other discussion forums as well for the same reasons.

And no, I'm not forfeiting my copyright to MP.

Because I trust that MousePlanet has the integrity not to enter my reviews into a user-driven system when I as the owner of the review have not submitted that information myself. And Sheila has already confirmed that.