PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Railroad - Holliday engine

PhiSigDuchessCV
04-04-2010, 03:12 PM
HI All,

Was at Disneyland yesterday and was going to catch the train about 11:30 p.m. from New Orleans Square back to Main Street. As we were waiting the conductor at the station recieve notice that the trains were down for the rest of the night. He said something about the engine broke. When I asked which one he said the Holliday and it didn't sound good for the engine that whatever broke was going to take a while to fix if it could be fixed.

Has anyone heard anything or seen the Holliday running today.

Carolyn

smd4
04-05-2010, 05:48 AM
Well, there really isn't anything that can't be fixed on a steam locomotive. I'll check with some sources and see what the story is.

smd4
04-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Well, I couldn't follow the description entirely, but a tapered bolt on the expansion link of the valve gear was inadvertenly damaged. The valve gear is what controls the steam to the cylinders; it also controls whether the engine moves forward or backward. No ETA on a fix, but it's not a huge issue, as I suspected.

PhiSigDuchessCV
04-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Well, I couldn't follow the description entirely, but a tapered bolt on the expansion link of the valve gear was inadvertenly damaged. The valve gear is what controls the steam to the cylinders; it also controls whether the engine moves forward or backward. No ETA on a fix, but it's not a huge issue, as I suspected.

Thanks Steve. The CM actually had told us the engine blew which I thought was a bit dramatic. The other weird thing the CM said was that it left them with only 1 engine when I though they had 4 or 5 so maybe he meant left them with 1 running for the night.

I wish that Disneyland had a tour of the Steam Trains the way WDW does. My family are steam train fans and would love to see behind the scenes of DLs engines.

smd4
04-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks Steve. The CM actually had told us the engine blew which I thought was a bit dramatic. Indeed, it is a bit dramatic--and borderline irresponsible. Steam locomotives do have the potential, when improperly operated, to "blow," or explode--which would result in deaths, and very likely the elimination of the Disney steam train program at each Park that runs them. To suggest such a thing occurred in front of a guest is just wrong.

The other weird thing the CM said was that it left them with only 1 engine when I though they had 4 or 5 so maybe he meant left them with 1 running for the night. Disneyland has five locomotives, so I concur with your guess--with two engines running in the evening, it probably meant only one was left currently operational (the other three having been "bedded down" for the evening).