PDA

View Full Version : How much is this worth?

CaliforniaCrazy
03-05-2003, 11:10 AM
I recently found a March 1967 Disneyland guidebook in fair condition at my grandmother's house, and she said that I could keep it if I wanted it. Does anyone else have a similar guidebook from 1967, and if they do, how much is the value of it? I wanted to post a pic of it, but I do not know how to post pics on Mousepad yet. It is a little bit faded, but there are no torn pages and it even has a 'coming soon' for the Pirates of the Caribbean in it! If anyone knows how to post pics here, I would appreciate it.

experiment626
03-05-2003, 11:20 AM
My guess is that it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it :D

CaliforniaCrazy
03-05-2003, 11:31 AM
Okay, you can view it by clicking the link below:

http://www.geocities.com/mistercool1970/DisneylandGuide.html

mad4mky
03-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Experiment 626 is correct.

Check e-bay for items similar. That will give you a close look at what items like yours are going for on the open market.

I have an older Disneyland Map...and contacted two different dealers about it...both said to check e-bay for similar items and the price people are willing to pay for it.

pokeypoke
03-05-2003, 12:08 PM
I have to agree with experiment626, it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I have been collecting Disneyana since 1980 and have found that there is no particular "set" price for any collectible although, an item in excellent or mint condition will mean a better price someone will be willing to pay. My suggestion is NOT to take it to a antique/collector shop because most dealers will give you nothing for it and then turn around and sell the item fo an outrageous markup price. I suggest perhaps you may want to place a frre ad on disneyad.com and see what type of offers you may get.

Good luck,
pokey:)

julia
03-05-2003, 12:13 PM
What a neat thing to find! It would be so much fun to see how much Disneyland has changed since 1967. You might try to find out if you can get in touch with the people at the show, "Antiques Roadshow." The show is on public television and BBC America, too, if you have a satellite dish. They have antiques experts on "Antiques Roadshow" that estimate the prices on a variety of antiques - it wouldn't be too surprising to get some help from them. You might also check into "Country Living, " which is a magazine for the country style and they have a column for pricing antiques. It is a real treasure - not sure that I could sell it, personally.

Have fun!
:-) Julia

tod
03-05-2003, 04:33 PM
I have no idea what "fair market value" is but I'll give you $5 for it. I remember that booklet with the INA symbol (they were sponsoring Carefree Corner if memory serves and the same sign was still there last time I was in The Park, with the little oval) and I'll send you a check tonight if you'll take it.

--T

CaliforniaCrazy
03-05-2003, 04:37 PM
I didn't want to sell it, I just wanted to know its value. ;)

tod
03-05-2003, 05:42 PM
Tough to say. As a longtime collector of various things I can tell you that Experiment 626 pretty much nailed it when he said it's worth what a buyer and seller agree it's worth.

For example, as a fan of the writer Jack Douglas and a lifelong game show fan I can tell you that my first edition of Douglas's book A Funny Thing happened To Me On My Way To The Grave inscribed by Douglas to game show producer Bill Todman was a steal at $17.50. And my copy of Douglas's The Adventures Of Huckleberry Hashimoto inscribed to "Phil and Alice" -- who I will bet good money were Phil Harris and his wife Alice Faye -- was also a deal at $20.

I can guarantee that it's worth $5. Best I can do.

Enjoy it. Those booklets were fun -- the guide to what ticket you needed for a particular attraction was particularly handy, saving you the trouble of a long walk when you didn't have any more "E" tickets.

--T

Disneyfreak
03-05-2003, 06:01 PM
If I had to buy it I would pay $500-1000 if I had that kind of money. But who knows it may be worth more then that. Im not an expert but I would expect that is the range they will give max if it is in good to mint condition.

pokeypoke
03-05-2003, 08:45 PM
if I had to buy it I would pay $500-1000 if I had that kind of money. But who knows it may be worth more than that. Im not an expert but I would expect that is the range they will give max if it is in good to mint condition

I mean no dis-respect disneyfreak, but the guidebook in the condition discribed, is only worth in a range of $5 to $20. I currently have a 36-page full color 1956 Souvenir Guidebook to Disneyland in MINT CONDITION (including the original paper Emporium bag it was purchased in) and it's value ranges between $75 -$95. However, I'm thinking of parting with it and if I place a price of let's say..., $80, there will always be someone who will make me a better offer if they want it bad enough. But in NO WAY would the offer me $500 or more for it.

pokey