PDA

View Full Version : Can Pooh still be fixed before opening?

merlinjones
03-05-2003, 07:32 AM
According to Al's miceage.com update, early riders of Dl's new Pooh attraction are already disappointed, including new parks chief Jay Rasulo.

Apparrently, the budget cuts have made it even more sparse than WDW's version (which is already sparse). They are reportedly concerned now about a full press ad campaign, as it may backfire with a disappointed public.

If this is so, I would ask the powers-that-be to stop and consider reinvesting in an aditional overlay of Tokyo level visual effects, and the addition of the bouncing cars, to this ride BEFORE it opens.

Delay the opening, guys... the last thing you need now is to disappoint people with another lame attraction, especially a replacement for a lush classic, the CBJ - - and featuring such a prominent character as Pooh.

With all of the billions this property has brought to the company, how can anyone excuse a limp attempt on this ride?

Remember Journey Into Imagination? - - better to spend the money now to get it right! Even if its just in the visuals, animatronics and effects (we know it's too late for the ride system) - - fix it now!

Doodle Duck
03-05-2003, 07:56 AM
The article did say that the cars HAD the motion base built in...the bounce could be programed in at a future time I would think/hope.

justagrrl
03-05-2003, 08:08 AM
Wow! What an exciting premise if it holds out! We've always lived in OC but have only been pasholders for the last year and a half or so. As much as I've loved going to DLR, there's always a twinge of sadness when I read about things closing or not being a fabulous success. If what the article implies is true, then it would seem that the future of the parks is bright and really exciting!

RStar
03-05-2003, 11:47 AM
It sounds to me that the mechanics envolved would mean starting over with the ride vehicles. I don't think it would be possible at all. Sorry.

Tref
03-05-2003, 12:17 PM
I believe they can -- and will -- re-do the Pooh ride. I just don't think it is going to be anytime real soon. I bet three or four years down the line (maybe sooner, if we and other guests bark loud enough) they will shut it down and update the ride to the Tokyo level. And I just may wait until that date. I have had enough with being disappointed with DLR. Sure you can say, try it first, but I think I will wait for the general consensus here on MP.

I just don't understand it, folks, I just can not believe that after the several big (BIG) failures of the past few years, due solely to cutting corners, that Disney still insists on giving their guests less then what they/we have come to expect from the company. Still I felt Al offered some hope too. I mean if new parks chief Jay Rasulo
hates it too, maybe we can look forward to a new era of rebuilding. I don't know anything about Mr. Rasulo, but I hope he is sincere in getting the park back in shape.

audibleatom
03-05-2003, 04:10 PM
the technology that is being used in tokyo has never been used here in the states...they will have to rip out the whole ride in order for this ride to even be close to the pooh ride at TDL there is no track and all the rooms are big and each car runs independant of the others on a flat floor...we always get second best

merlinjones
03-05-2003, 04:41 PM
You know, it may well be too late for the ride vehicles... but it certainly isn't too late to make the show itself even better. With lame vehicles they should do another overlay of showy effects, visuals, characters and tricks. If it looks cool and richly detailed, people won't judge the ride system so harshly. But if it looks cheap... I smell more trouble for DLR.

Why not make real full motion AA's out of some of the old CBJ figures? I mean, Bubbles, Bonnie and Beulah are roughly the same proportions as Pooh. Just sculpt a new Pooh skin and beef up a few scenes with those. We should also get any of the fancy visual effects and models and screens and illusions that were prepped for Tokyo - - to compensate for lackluster vehicles.

How about a projected illusion of bouncing? Or a floor that bounces the car in that spot?

I can't see any reason they shouldn't do that before a delayed opening. Just get the wallet and the molds out!

But please, DL... impress us again. I have a feeling this ride will make the visually sumptious C-level Alice look like an E Ticket, as I didn't find WDW's sparse Pooh very stimulating already. How could we get less than that?

These TDA people really seem to have contempt for their prospective guests. Give it some more show!!!

After all, the shop can open ontime, even if the ride doesn't. Selling honeybuns is not the problem here.

cstephens
03-05-2003, 04:56 PM
I did read Al's article today, but I skipped the section on Pooh because I'd like to experience the ride for myself and decide whether or not I like it before commenting on what could be different about it. I'd prefer not to base my opinion on someone else's experience.

merlinjones
03-05-2003, 05:13 PM
>>I did read Al's article today, but I skipped the section on Pooh because I'd like to experience the ride for myself and decide whether or not I like it before commenting on what could be different about it. I'd prefer not to base my opinion on someone else's experience.<<

My problem is I have had already the experiences of WDW's Pooh, Newest Tomorrowland and DCA - - especially SuperstarLimo and Bug Land. So I know all too well that Disney has abandoned their formerly high standards. In other words, I expect this Pooh to be as inferior as those efforts unless otherwise informed (there's always hope) - - But now I'm hearing my fears confirmed and I'm inclined to beleive it. Too bad...

But they could still fix it if they wanted to, before disappointing the public.

iAmJacksDLand
03-05-2003, 07:46 PM
You know, it's sad.

They can fix it.

But they won't.

Laffite
03-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Rasulo. You Da Man!!

DwoernAdale
03-05-2003, 09:03 PM
WDW/DLP and the parks created by OLC should have engendered some cross-property one upmanship. A little pride in each park. Thats what I would expect from Disney.

If the DLR is ONLY getting remakes of rides, they should be revamped, and cutting edge stuff. More and more I read about how 'our' version is going to be subpar to attractions that are already a handful of years old in other parks.

Instead of figuring out how to improve on a technology they have created elsewhere, they try to figure out how to spend less in each succesive version.

I suppose they figure most of their guests at DLR wont know any better, and will accept an attraction simply because its new and has a popular theme.:rolleyes:

Feels like they they are throwing us a bone to keep us happy, and lots of folks are noticing the bone has been dug up, chewed on, and makes its way here as a shadow of its original self.

That makes me sad.

~DW

RStar
03-06-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
You know, it may well be too late for the ride vehicles... but it certainly isn't too late to make the show itself even better.

I agree 100%. It may not bring the ride to what it could have been, but it would help at least. I love your idea about using the old AAs, but the infrastructur for the computers to run them was not installed, so this would be a slight problem. But I suppose they could get around that by using conduit and hiding it with the set props. That would be so cool to see an AA Pooh and even Tigger if it would fit!

Come on Ray, get some one to caugh up a budget please!;)

ErikBsandiego
03-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by DwoernAdale
WDW/DLP and the parks created by OLC should have engendered some cross-property one upmanship. A little pride in each park. Thats what I would expect from Disney.
~DW

I wonder if OLC has a clause in their contracts which prohibit them from advertising in the US market? Disney would SCREAM if US consumers saw DLS and then compared them to what we got. Quicker than you can say "when you wish upon a star" corporate would rethink the strategy "hey, we are number one in theme park attendance. Why not cut budgets?!!"

audibleatom
03-10-2003, 06:32 PM
found this great video of the tdl pooh ride...we will see if the dl version will even compare..... http://209.15.142.108/index1.shtml

jslivinski
03-21-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by audibleatom
found this great video of the tdl pooh ride...we will see if the dl version will even compare..... http://209.15.142.108/index1.shtml This site is great. I've been watching Disney Seas footage all day and loving it.

refurbmike
03-21-2003, 03:05 PM
Why not make real full motion AA's out of some of the old CBJ figures?

Disney is way ahead of you, don't worry.

DisneyFan25863
03-21-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by refurbmike
Disney is way ahead of you, don't worry.

Didn't get that for a sec, then figured it out ;)

Lets just hope someone dosn't break their neck trying to find them :D

wdtv
03-22-2003, 08:49 PM
This new guy in charge of the parks better prove his worth on any future attractions :) Pressler just screwed things up, and obviously didn't even understand why the parks built by Oriental Land Company were doing a lot better than some of Disney's parks.
There isn't any science to it. Nor is it because of the Japanese economy or the type of food they eat LOL

evildorko
03-23-2003, 12:53 PM
you know, we can complain all we want about the quality of the attraction, but the bottom line is that we all will ride it, it will increase the park's capacity and disney's return on investment will be high....complaints at city hall are just not going to matter anymore....if you want them to fix it, don't ride it...
sadly, even then, the tens of thousands of people who attend disneyland every day but arent as rabid as you or i are not going to even know not to ride on it and it just won't matter.....our pooh ride is a piece of pooh and will remain so :(

Polar33
03-23-2003, 01:28 PM
Actually complaints at City Hall do get changes made, especially when they come in great numbers. When the POTS and Believe first premiered, POTS generated 2-3 complaints for every one of Believe's compliments, Disney responded by dumping the annoying music and changing a few other things as well. If enough complaints are filed, people at TDA will start to take notice and get things done.

furbE95
03-23-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by evildorko
.....our pooh ride is a piece of pooh and will remain so :(
Let's not judge the ride before anyone has actually ridden it, ok? Do we even have any real credible sources that say the ride is worse than the one at WDW? If so, i would like to know what sources have said this.

Doodle Duck
03-23-2003, 06:59 PM
It's a ride. You ride it. It has Pooh and Tigger and Piglet. It does not have Tim Allen. For that alone it may be a masterpiece.

merlinjones
03-26-2003, 06:08 AM
I say again after the detailed reviews of this ride...

Disneyland - - you don't need anymore bad publicity from the free spending parents of Southern California. To open yet another short, less-than-expected-by-the-public, cheapie attraction - - especially one married to such a popular Disney icon -- one that will result in very long waits in line for no emotional payoff - - This will further degrade the brand and make pulling people in for something new the next time that much harder.

Please, Jay Rasulo and people, do the right thing and delay opening this ride until a much better effort at the show elements can be layered in. Make some dimensional, travel through sets -- minimize the plywood flats - - add more effects, including the animated storybooks from WDW, blowing leaves, etc - - Place some full motion AA's made from the Country Bear figures through the ride - - Give the show more movement and visual dynamics - - add a few show effects from Tokyo (such as the dream sequence) - - and if possible reverse-engineer the Tigger bounce surprise into the ride.

Please do this - - if not for show and for the guests - - if not in gratitude for the Billions of dollars in profits this property has brought to Disney - - then do it because Disneyland can't bear much more bad word-of-mouth on the street from its disappointing new additions!

You can surely squeeze another 10 million out of Michael for this property. Do it right - -there is still time. No one needs it to open next month under these conditions.