PDA

View Full Version : Al: Submarines Return?

Pages : [1] 2

merlinjones
03-05-2003, 07:22 AM
Today's Al update at miceage.com is a doozie.

Due to decreased park ride capacity, TDA is considering reopening Submarine Voyage to satisfy the demands of new chief Jay Rasulo to fix the equation!!!

I will gladly support this move at the gate, at full price!

Please do this, Cynthia! Bring back the Subs.

Also, may I suggest (yet again) reopenings of other classics: I would suggest they also look at the original Rocket Jets, PeopleMover, Carousel of Progress back from WDW and any print of CircleVision, as all these facilites still exist!

Even Country Bear Jamboree could be fairy easily revisited, with a new building to house the set (maybe just one theatre this time). Perhaps on tom Sawyer Island or Back by Fantasyland, if Bear Country is now full of Pooh.

Go, Jay, go!

hbquikcomjamesl
03-05-2003, 07:33 AM
Did the WDW Bear theatre ever have two halls?

I've said this before, but I think the single biggest reason why Pooh went in where it did at DL is that (1) our Bear theatre had long-since outlived the need for two halls, and more importantly (2) we never went back to the original CBJ, even though it was (and still is, at WDW-MK) timeless, and Vacation Hoedown was a lousy show that got real old, real fast.

Doodle Duck
03-05-2003, 07:52 AM
Sub-Ma-Rines! Sub-Ma-Rines! (quiet Animal)

Wouldn't that be a beautiful sight? I know it's silly to get hopes up on a rumor of a rumor...but I think I'm a bit hungry for something RIGHT to look forward to.

CaliforniaCrazy
03-05-2003, 09:25 AM
Usually Al has been right about a number of things opening and closing ( he has been right about Limo staying closed), so...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully, soon we will be able to hear the fish talk again.
;)

jrad32
03-05-2003, 09:50 AM
WhooooooHoooooooooo!

You da man Jay! You da man!

Alright get the subs going, and get the Peoplemover going and maybe Tomorrowland can have a chance of living again.

dsnylndmom
03-05-2003, 09:58 AM
Woo Hoo Submarines Submarines!! I'm still holding out for the People Mover's to come back!

Hey there's a great 50th birthday celebration, bring back the old favorites~~Subs, Peoplemovers and Country Bears with a newly refurbed Tom Sawyer's Island!!

Tina:D

Tref
03-05-2003, 10:05 AM
Though the Pooh news was discouraging, the possible re-opening of the Sub is the best news I've heard since the annoucement of TOT. Here is hoping for more news of this nature in the future.

innerSpaceman
03-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Just like King Arthur Carrousel, the best way to create an "E" Ticket out of a "C" Ticket is simply to keep the attraction closed for an inordinate amount of time - then reopen it just as it was before (if not slightly worse) and, viola! - instant "E" Ticket.

If the subs reopen, I will be thrilled and will even ride them a few times. But I never much enjoyed the attraction while it existed because of the sloooowness of its low capacity and the often unbearable smelliness inside the cramped subs. Plus - sorry, but the attraction was cheesy and badly dated. It had camp value, but was too long a wait for a potentially foul smelling experience.

I appreciated the subs mostly as eye candy for Tomorrowland and will cheer their return on that basis, if this does come to pass. Surely, though, the closure of Space Mountain and the sudden ghost town TLand that will result should be a cause of dire concern to those who run the Park.

merlinjones
03-05-2003, 10:55 AM
>>Surely, though, the closure of Space Mountain and the sudden ghost town TLand that will result should be a cause of dire concern to those who run the Park.<<

The subs return would be a great start! Too bad we can't have them dressed up like Nautilus. But maybe we can...

They say the WDW subs won't fit on our track... but could their Nemo facade bric-a-brac be cut up and welded on to our sub bodies to create Dl Nautilus style subs (and still avoid violating the code restrictions - - the vehicle/cabs remain the same, just the facade changes)? Seems like you would have to partly camouflage the current hold as the back part of the "head", with the eyes/arch coming out from there... a few rivets, fins and such and maybe we could have 20,00 Leagues instead...

tabacco
03-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Wow, that would mean CLOSING a retail location! I'll believe it when I see it :)

Pony Sugrue
03-05-2003, 11:51 AM
If they can bring back the subs in Cali, why not bring back those "Nautili" (seems like the proper plural spelling) in Florida too.

WDW's lagoon is just as depressing.

And YES, the Circle-vision would be somewhat easy to re-install.

We gotta get Tomorrowland back on track.

Tref
03-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Ahhh, seeing the Nautilus (or, defering to Pony's word, Nautali) at Disneyland would make all of me pain go away. Perhaps this asking too much though, but how sweet it would be to see those babies in ac-tion. Sweet, precious, Nautali.

Gemini Cricket
03-05-2003, 04:15 PM
To make Subs a success, all they need to do is make one section of the ride really advanced and spectacular. Then everyone will want to ride it again.

For example, enhance the ride where the squid attacks the sub. Make it intense by featuring a fast-moving, full blown, very articulated squid attacking the sub. Make the sub rock, "leak water" etc. That would be wayyy cool. The rest of the ride could stay the same. But if you enhance just one part of it, people will ride it just to see the part that's been modified.

(Oh, that and more "realistic" looking mermaids and perhaps a different sea monster...)

merlinjones
03-05-2003, 04:47 PM
You know, they could throw some small cameos by Sebastian and Flounder (et al) here and there - - Then kids will be all excited to try and find them, like Where's Waldo?

MonorailMan
03-05-2003, 05:49 PM
Bring it back! :D

And, let's hope those subs aren't as water-logged as I think! :D

DisneyFan25863
03-05-2003, 05:52 PM
If you look out the monorail on the way to DL, you can see a sub, and it does not look that bad.....in fact, I saw a "crew" looking over it the other day! Should I take that as a Hinty Hinty?

Disneyfreak
03-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Remember this is going to be a close decision, with the budget being around 10 million to restore the subs. If its going to cost more then that they wont open it, like al said. If it is reletively cheap to restore then there might be a slim chance they might modify it a little. I like Jay and how he manages the park and his ideas for the future. Im sure glad Pressler is gone, let him cheapen gap.:D Minimum I would like them to restore them with the original grey color, because i have never seen it. For the idea of the squid, it has its advantages and disadvantages. The original parts will seem so boring compared to the scene you describe and it will make riders board. But if they were to do something like that, they would have to advance many other things for it to be really successful.

Pony Sugrue
03-05-2003, 06:57 PM
You know if they don't plan on re-opening WDW's 20k ride, then they could certainly salvage a whole lot of water-proof AA's, coral sculpts,etc from FLA and ship them out to Cali.

Of course, I hope they re-open WDW's too. It really is the better looking of the 2 and the only homage to "20,000 Leagues"... unless you count the DL Haunted Mansion's ballroom organ.

Doodle Duck
03-05-2003, 07:22 PM
Gotta be selfish on this...to heck with WDW.
Get it done...DL has suffered under Pressler, time to break out of that and get Magic again.

mousketeer
03-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue
And YES, the Circle-vision would be somewhat easy to re-install.

Yes - like loading the tape in the play. As per the elevator obstruction, why can't they use the entrance also as the exit. There certainly is plenty of space, and CV probably won't attract large enough crowds for a dedicated exit.

MonorailMan
03-05-2003, 08:16 PM
What if CV became a attraction that you can freely walk in and out of, like the Main Street Theater? That way, you only need one entrance/exit, and it's a great place to relax. ;)

tabacco
03-05-2003, 08:36 PM
That's a good point. Especially if they convert the film to digital, so that they could loop it more easily. It could even run unmanned (the projectors, I mean) and woudl save them a little money.

AVP
03-05-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by mousketeer
Yes - like loading the tape in the play. As per the elevator obstruction, why can't they use the entrance also as the exit. There certainly is plenty of space, and CV probably won't attract large enough crowds for a dedicated exit. Now that the Carrousel horses are out of the Rocket Rods queue, there may be some hope of getting the Circle Vision space back.

AVP

Techie7
03-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by AVP
Now that the Carrousel horses are out of the Rocket Rods queue, there may be some hope of getting the Circle Vision space back.

AVP From what I understand the horses were not in the actual theatre. They were in the preshow room.

Not Afraid
03-05-2003, 09:24 PM
Hmmmm. Let me check my pictures.:)