PDA

View Full Version : Strange Disney store in Dallas

danyoung
03-02-2003, 12:48 PM
So, here I am, minding my own business, shopping in our local mega-mall, the Grapevine Mills Mall (same thing as the Ontario Mills Mall out SoCal way). I see a store that catches my eye - temporary signs hawking Disney merch at up to 80% off, shop quickly, store closes March 15th. Now this isn't a Disney Store, just a temp location that was empty last week. I go in to look around, and what do I find? Park merchandise! Specifically, Disneyland Resort merchandise. Some Disneyland, but mostly DCA. Everything from the cheap pens, plastic shot glasses and postcards up to really nice shirts, sweatshirts and jackets.

So I just wondered, is this something Disney does from time to time to clear things out, and I've just missed it? Or did they do a massive merch dump, especially at DCA, and cleared out the old to make way for the new? With the potential for change in the Rasulo / post Pressler era, I just wondered.

Now I gotta figger out how I'm gonna come up with 2 or 3 hundred bucks before March 15th - some of that stuff was COOL!!!

Matterhorn Fan
03-02-2003, 01:33 PM
What you've found is a Character Warehouse. There's one permanent location in Fullerton, CA, and other stores come and go in other places. They usually last a couple months and then move on. As far as I know, there's usually 3 or 4 locations at any given time. That's where the discontinued merch goes--park merch changes from season to season, and what's leftover gets sold at the CW at some pretty good discounts.

Berry Princess
03-02-2003, 01:38 PM
If you go to the Disney Store online to the sale section you can now find a link to outlet locations. Now are these the same as the Warehouses that come and go? I'm curious cause I know they used to not have anything up there for that. There was a website that had a list of those warehouse stores and how long they would be there or when they were opening. I lost that link and have never found it again.

mandi2728
03-02-2003, 05:38 PM
We have that occasionally at our Mills Mall!

And boy are they fun to shop!

danyoung
03-02-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
What you've found is a Character Warehouse. There's one permanent location in Fullerton, CA, and other stores come and go in other places. They usually last a couple months and then move on. As far as I know, there's usually 3 or 4 locations at any given time. That's where the discontinued merch goes--park merch changes from season to season, and what's leftover gets sold at the CW at some pretty good discounts.

Most interesting. It was kinda strange today, having my Disney life intruding in a surprising way on my normal life (whatever normal is). I'll be hitting that shop again before it goes - who knows when DCA merch will be collector's items? ;)

YellowMan
03-03-2003, 12:16 PM
What you've found is a Character Warehouse. There's one permanent location in Fullerton, CA If you can, could you post a little more info on where to find this permanent location? I find this store idea quite intriguing and it would be nice to be able to get some DCA merchandise (since they barely sell anything good in DCA anymore).

Techie7
03-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by YellowMan
If you can, could you post a little more info on where to find this permanent location? On the corner of Orangethorpe and Harbor Blvd.

Matterhorn Fan
03-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Berry Princess
If you go to the Disney Store online to the sale section you can now find a link to outlet locations. Now are these the same as the Warehouses that come and go?I'm almost positive that these are two separate things.

When someone around here gets a new flier about the Character Werehouses, they're pretty good about posting where the new locations are. I haven't seen anyone post locations in the last month or two--a new batch will probably be opening up soon, and hopefully some DL local will find a flier and post the information.

RStar
03-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by danyoung
who knows when DCA merch will be collector's items? ;)

You mean like when the name changes to Disney's American Adventure, or when it closes completely?;)

Otherwise, I wouldn't hold my breath!:D

danyoung
03-04-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by RStar
You mean like when the name changes to Disney's American Adventure, or when it closes completely?;)

That's pretty much what I was going for.

jamsandwich
03-04-2003, 09:46 AM
Just curious about the store in Fullerton: does it generally have a good selection (obviously, it will be discontinued stuff - that's not a concern for us), or is it more feast or famine? My wife and I are going in late April and will probably check it out... I'm just wondering what to expect?

-J

Techie7
03-04-2003, 09:54 AM
Character Warehouse gets new shipments in weekly. It can vary though they usually have some good stuff... but you could say that sometimes you get really lucky!

PinkFloyd
03-04-2003, 04:15 PM
Has anyone been to or seen a character warehouse in the Washington DC metro area?

P.S. I miss Disneyland....

Lani
03-05-2003, 08:21 AM
Be aware that Disney Character Warehouses are not operated by the Walt Disney Co., and that they are not permanent fixtures in those locations. They will often stick around for a few months, then close shop (so they could go and open another somewhere else).

Matterhorn Fan
03-05-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by jamsandwich
Just curious about the store in Fullerton: [ . . . ] I'm just wondering what to expect?Expect nothing.

That said, the store in Fullerton was a hit for me in January. I got a $95 watch for $15 (and some other things). Most of the time I find nothing.

mad4mky
03-05-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
Expect nothing.

That says it all.

Most of the time...I find the one near us that opens up (The Great Mall in Milpitas) has junk. Junk.:(

julia
03-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Sounds intriguing, really. Casually ask them who they are and then, come back and let us know. Ask them if they are affiliated with Disney because I think Disney is pretty particular about their licensed merchandisers. I, for one, am very curious. I think there is a similar store, but a permanent location, in Orlando outside of Disney World with similarly impressive prices. I usually can't drag myself out of Walt Disney World, but my friends think the store is great!

Have fun shopping!
:) Julia