PDA

View Full Version : My (almost) 11-year-old got on Millionaire Friday!

marciemi
03-02-2003, 09:06 AM
Okay - we're a Michigan family who just got back from our first trip to DL/DCA. My son (11 today!) was looking forward to seeing/doing Millionaire. So we saw it the first Saturday we were there and kind of figured out how to do the answers (press fast!). We went a second time on Monday and my husband and I were impressed that we got in the top 10 a couple times. My son pleaded with us (since neither of us had any desire to go down there) that if we got on, to let him go instead. Of course we explained this would be impossible.

While waiting for the first two shows, we saw how they gave passes to get in the fastest-finger seats so he begged us to go early our last day there (Friday). We got there about a half hour early and a cast member actually called us over to have our whole family sit in the fastest finger seats! (The fact that we had our Disney Cruise Line shirts on and he had a birthday sticker on might have helped)

So we got to be down front. None of us are ANY good at the fastest finger, so of course another contestant got on first. But at the 1000 point for her, my son was in 6th place and I was in 10th. But when she missed about 4 questions later, I had missed a question. They posted the resulsts and after the long pause - my son (seat #5) was first!

So he got in the hot seat! He was so excited! We were so excited! The audience wasn't full that day, but probably about 80 percent so he beat out a lot of adults, including us!

Then everyone laughed when they asked him how old he was and he said 10, then corrected himself to 11! (We got him a birthday sticker even though it was 2 days before his birthday because it was our last day there). The host was like, "Is that your final answer?"

He got some really hard questions - especially for his age! First his 200 point question was about Mae West (he polled the audience), then his 500 was about Seinfeld. He got that one right but amused the audience by pronouncing it "Seinfield". We were relieved when his 1000 was a math question so he got the baseball cap! He got the 2000 correct but didn't know the 4000 (What language is beau geste?) He phoned a complete stranger who of course gave the wrong answer (the entire audience groaned when they said it). He decided to keep his 2000 pin and walk away.

So he ended up with a cap, lanyard with millionaire logo, and 6 pins. Since he was a big pin collector during this trip, this was extremely exciting for him. Also almost as thrilling as being on was going backstage, getting the prizes, and signing all the legal paperwork after! What a neat birthday present!!!

My only regret is that of course you can't take any pictures. If we were in regular seats, I might have tried to do it without them noticing, but in the fastest finger seats it was impossible. I really wish you could buy a video afterwards of the show - they could really make money that way!

Now we're back in cold Michigan (supposed to be -5 tonight!) but he goes back to school tomorrow with his pins and hat and can't wait to tell his stories!

DisneyFan25863
03-02-2003, 09:08 AM
Cool!

MouseWife
03-02-2003, 09:47 AM
Give that guy a big high five from me!!

Great for show and tell. :cool:

rexfarms
03-02-2003, 11:08 AM
What part of Michigan are you from?

marciemi
03-02-2003, 01:01 PM
Berkley - near Royal Oak (north of Detroit). We're typing up his questions right now (to the best of our memory) to bring to school tomorrow!

rexfarms
03-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by marciemi
Berkley - near Royal Oak (north of Detroit). We're typing up his questions right now (to the best of our memory) to bring to school tomorrow!

I used to live in Michigan. Near St. Clair. :)

ESS Heckler
03-03-2003, 12:33 PM
My boyfriend and I play Millionaire EVERY time we're in DCA (at least once a year) and we play at least three times per visit (once a day, usually). We've both been in the top 5 several times, but never managed to get into the Hot Seat.

Tell your son I'm jealous !!

tod
03-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Congratulations!

You should be proud of him. Well done.

--T

RStar
03-03-2003, 04:38 PM
That is soo cool! That's the type of stuff that makes the trips real special.

Congrats little Millionaire!!

Kimi_Coconuts
03-03-2003, 05:18 PM
YAHOO!!!!

My little girl (4) was on last year and on my last trip I made it up there. I was terrified and did exactly as well as your son, HE DID GREAT!! I'll bet he loves that cap, it's really nice and comfy!

My 10 year old is DYING to get up there, I really hope he gets there too!

PurpleDove33
03-03-2003, 09:11 PM
Way to go getting in the "hot seat" It is a lot of fun and today being the end of my 30 days wait period, I can now play again and try again. I want that cruise soooooo bad!!! You would think some of the questions for someone that age would be a little easier. Oh well he has a Disney memory he will never forget.

avromark
03-04-2003, 02:22 PM
We had -40 last night :)