PDA

View Full Version : disney club ending

ksejr1
03-01-2003, 12:08 PM
does anyone know why the disney club is ending at the end of 2003?? I was planning on becoming a disney club member but they are no longer accepting applications. : (

tiggerandtink
03-01-2003, 12:59 PM
which Disney club are you talking about? The Disney Vacation Club?

ksejr1
03-01-2003, 01:01 PM
just the regular disney club. not the vacation one

Baloo
03-01-2003, 02:59 PM
not really sure why they are ending it. I have been a memeber since it started. I do have a feeling that it was lsing some of its popularity and the extra expense in keeping it running was something that Disney felt could save them some revenue.

I did notice that several of the discounts given with the Disney Club in the parks were the same as just being an Annual passholder. Disney club also had a problem with several of the vendors and diferent divisions of the disney resorts being part of the discount program. If you really looked at the discounts in WDW with the card they were very minimal and most stores in DTD did not even honor it.

The one thing i will miss is my free subscriptions to the disney magazines. With this free subscription and the free subscription i have with my Premium Annual pass i had magazines coming to me for quite some years. The other discount i will miss is the discount for annual premium pass perchase but i could still get that if i renew by mail or before it expires in the resort.

Disney has made a deal with Bank One and will be offering a Disney Visa that will earn points for you with every purchase for discounts with disney merchandise. See
www.disneysecret.com. If you need a code to acces the application process get it from the disney magazine spring 2003 issue on page 30.

JeffG
03-01-2003, 05:35 PM
I would imagine that the Disney Visa is almost the entire reason for the ending of the Disney Club. That is apt to be a >much< more financially lucrative deal for the company and I would imagine it would be considered a significant detriment to the credit card program if people were able to obtain similar discount arrangements through the other means. In fact, I wouldn't be that surprised if the discontinuing of the Disney Club was mandated in the contract with Bank One.

I do think it is kind of a shame that these types of discounts are now going to be unavailable to those that can't get or don't want a credit card, though.

-Jeff

rexfarms
03-01-2003, 05:44 PM
Personally I liked the Magic Kindgom Card.