PDA

View Full Version : TRONmorrowland

IllusionOfLife
03-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Hey everyone, I just heard that Disney is planning on adding a lot of Tron theming leading up to the release of Tron Legacy this december. It sounds like this could be similar to the Indiana Jones Summer of Hidden Mysteries.

Among the ideas that have been proposed is transforming the Starcade into Flynn's Arcade. Aside from that, WDI is apparently working on a "Tron Experience" that would debut in 2012 (fingers crossed for a replacement for HIStA).

Here's the full article if you're interested:

http://www.collider.com/2010/03/02/tron-animated-tv-show-in-the-works-also-expect-disney-theme-parks-to-be-tron-ified/

lauramaynot
03-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Wow. I will be watching with interest to see how this pans out. I remember when I was a kid and we rode the peoplemover the tron part scared me I barely remember it because I spent just about the whole time with my eyes closed LOL!

oregontraveler
03-03-2010, 10:16 AM
The Starcade layover seems like a no-brainer. Now only if they could would open up the second level again.

mechurchlady
03-03-2010, 10:39 AM
ll this generation grasp the importance of Tron? They would need an elevator for wheelchairs and do something about the current escalator to the upstairs area. That is a money sponge for Disney if they had a good games person running the place and opened up the top floor.

mitch
03-03-2010, 11:20 AM
It would be nice if they actually had a TRON arcade machine in there as well!

Mitch

olegc
03-03-2010, 12:06 PM
if it's just a layover on top of what they have then it can happen in a couple of months. You have the summer season coming up and then the wild and crowded Halloween - so taking alnything away from those crowds could be an issue - but I doubt the arcade generates enough traffic. Still - if they wanted something to be ready for when the film opens they have some decisions.

The idea of adding something of an attraction sounds neat but waiting till 2012 assumes the film will be a be a blockbuster and folks will remember it. I think the jury is still out - it's not like Mr. Depp is starring in this thing..

Disneyphile
03-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Oooooh! I would SO love Flynn's Arcade! :D

IllusionOfLife
03-03-2010, 02:22 PM
if it's just a layover on top of what they have then it can happen in a couple of months. You have the summer season coming up and then the wild and crowded Halloween - so taking alnything away from those crowds could be an issue - but I doubt the arcade generates enough traffic. Still - if they wanted something to be ready for when the film opens they have some decisions.

The idea of adding something of an attraction sounds neat but waiting till 2012 assumes the film will be a be a blockbuster and folks will remember it. I think the jury is still out - it's not like Mr. Depp is starring in this thing..

I think that's the idea. My guess is that it will be similar to 2008's Indian Jones Summer of Hidden Mysteries. I bet by November at the latest we'll be seeing Tron Legacy theming sprinkled around Tomorrowland, perhaps even making its way into some of the attractions (don't ask me how though).

I also think a new Tron attraction would be cool, and I agree that at this point it's a bit of a gamble, but it seems like Disney is banking on this to be a big success. They've already started a major ARG/Viral Marketing campaign, the IMAX version of the movie will have 5 scenes in the full IMAX aspect ratio, and now there's the Tomorrowland layover on top of that. Hopefully it all pays off and we can see a cool new attraction in Tomorrowland (still hoping it replaces HIStA, but I wouldn't cry over the removal of Innoventions either).

kfreak
03-03-2010, 03:17 PM
I cant wait for this.

lowfidelity
03-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Me either

IllusionOfLife
03-03-2010, 09:29 PM
You know, I was thinking about it, and I think that it'd be awesome if they would replace all the modern games in the Starcade with classic '80s game cabinets like Pac-Man, Galaga, and, of course, TRON and Space Paranoids. It'd fit with the theming of Flynn's Arcade and it'd be a cool way to revitalize that space. I for one, would never waste time in the park playing games in the Starcade, but if they actually had a cabinet for TRON and Space Paranoids I'd gladly sacrifice some park time just to try my hand at that, and I'm sure there would be many others, overcome by nostalgia, who would play the classic games as well.

Even if Disney doesn't want to get rid of the current games, perhaps the upstairs area could be home to Flynn's Arcade and all it's retro game glory.

mitch
03-03-2010, 09:35 PM
You know, I was thinking about it, and I think that it'd be awesome if they would replace all the modern games in the Starcade with classic '80s game cabinets like Pac-Man, Galaga, and, of course, TRON and Space Paranoids. It'd fit with the theming of Flynn's Arcade and it'd be a cool way to revitalize that space. I for one, would never waste time in the park playing games in the Starcade, but if they actually had a cabinet for TRON and Space Paranoids I'd gladly sacrifice some park time just to try my hand at that, and I'm sure there would be many others, overcome by nostalgia, who would play the classic games as well.

Even if Disney doesn't want to get rid of the current games, perhaps the upstairs area could be home to Flynn's Arcade and all it's retro game glory.

Now that is a great idea, even though I doubt Disney will ever do it.
An Environmental Discs of Tron would be really awesome.

Mitch

kiowa
03-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Now that is a great idea, even though I doubt Disney will ever do it.
An Environmental Discs of Tron would be really awesome.

Mitch

Very Possible because they recreated Flynn's Arcade for Comic-Con last year. It was pretty sweet! They had many of the same 80's games in there that were featured in the movie and then in the back they had a new Light Cycle!!!

Here's a somewhat OK video a buddy of mine shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzlzXICEU24

BTW Tron was on HDNET last night and I think is playing all month.

IllusionOfLife
03-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Very Possible because they recreated Flynn's Arcade for Comic-Con last year. It was pretty sweet! They had many of the same 80's games in there that were featured in the movie and then in the back they had a new Light Cycle!!!

Yeah, that's my hope for Flynn's Arcade in Tomorrowland. I'm really hoping they put just as much into this as they did into the ComicCon version.

The old man
03-04-2010, 07:43 PM
As one who loathed Tron when it was first released I wouldn't have high hopes for Disneyland doing much for the remake. Unless the filmmakers can step up as they did from the rotten 1980's Battlestar Galactica to the re-imagined version.

The only thing I found interesting about Tron was its Russian constructivist film roots.

IllusionOfLife
03-04-2010, 08:55 PM
As one who loathed Tron when it was first released I wouldn't have high hopes for Disneyland doing much for the remake. Unless the filmmakers can step up as they did from the rotten 1980's Battlestar Galactica to the re-imagined version.

The only thing I found interesting about Tron was its Russian constructivist film roots.

The original Tron has a very niche audience, but I'm sure Disney knows that, and as Tron Legacy is a sequel for a movie that's 28 years old, I'm sure they're not going to force the movie to exactly the same. From the VFX Test Footage (http://www.flynnlives.com/media/video/0xendgame.aspx) and the Flynn Lives ARG (http://www.flynnlives.com/default.aspx), it looks like Tron Legacy could be an awesome movie.

All the effort they're putting into marketing it shows that Disney is also banking hard on it, which leads me to safely assume that Disney is making this film for a much larger audience than the fans of the original.

Whether or not you like Tron, so far, doesn't seem to be an issue for the cool-factor of Tron Legacy. I'm already geeking out and I've never had the patience to sit through the original.

olegc
03-04-2010, 10:35 PM
i just wonder if a Tron overlay will play the same that the return of Captain Eo did - lots of interest before it appears, then a solid run for a short period, then the interest dies off quickly. Indiana Jones summer spectacular seemed to suffer the same fate. I realize that Disney is spending big bucks - but Tron 2.0 will still be a fanboy film and not something that really grabs the entire audience out there.

IllusionOfLife
03-05-2010, 09:12 AM
i just wonder if a Tron overlay will play the same that the return of Captain Eo did - lots of interest before it appears, then a solid run for a short period, then the interest dies off quickly. Indiana Jones summer spectacular seemed to suffer the same fate. I realize that Disney is spending big bucks - but Tron 2.0 will still be a fanboy film and not something that really grabs the entire audience out there.

I agree with the first part, that the overlay will be a short lived promotional thing, but I think that the movie has a chance to be more than just a fanboy film. Disney is trying to make this a tent pole movie and in order to do that you have to appeal to a wide audience. I don't think that Disney would be foolish enough to have so much riding on a movie that's really only going to appeal to fans. I could be wrong, but with all the stock they've invested in this project I see it being much bigger than just a fanboy film.

kiowa
03-05-2010, 02:13 PM
I just saw the Preview of Tron Legacy before Alice in Wonderland the sequel (If you see the movie you'll know what I mean)

I was completely taken back. It looks AMAZING. There isn't enough Sci-fi films out and this looks great.

Iceman
03-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Bias warning: Tron was my absolute favorite movie when I was little. I grew up in the era of arcades and first-gen video games, did a bunch of programming myself, and found the effects in Tron breakthtaking along with a great hook, decent acting, and lots of inside jokes that made me appreciate the work the writers did.

I haven't been as excited in a long time about an upcoming movie, this far before its release, as I have been for Tron Legacy. Anything Disney does to promote the movie in the parks, from simple arcade overlays to entirely new attractions, will be fine by me. And I hope the new movie is a blockbuster so that we can get some great new long-term Tron attractions!

danyoung
03-10-2010, 07:54 AM
...it'd be awesome if they would replace all the modern games in the Starcade with classic '80s game cabinets like Pac-Man, Galaga, and, of course, TRON and Space Paranoids.

Don't forget 2 of my fav's - Donkey Kong and the hard to find Wizard of Wor!

I just saw the Preview of Tron Legacy before Alice in Wonderland the sequel...as completely taken back. It looks AMAZING.

I saw the same thing, and completely agree with you - it looks like it's going to be incredible! I liked how the main character in the trailer was Bruce Boxleitner, who of course was in the original.

kiowa
03-10-2010, 02:39 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/tronorail1.jpg

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/tronorail2.jpg

AVP
03-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Hey everyone, please remember to post a link or credit to the source of any images you embed on MousePlanet. It looks like kiowa got these particular photos from aintitcool.com (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44228), but they were also posted on the Disney Parks Blog (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/03/disney-monorail-trains-to-feature-tron-legacy-art/) this morning.

AVP
- who was very sorry to see that I wasn't the first person to come up with Tronorail...

kiowa
03-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Hey everyone, please remember to post a link or credit to the source of any images you embed on MousePlanet. It looks like kiowa got these particular photos from aintitcool.com (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44228), but they were also posted on the Disney Parks Blog (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/03/disney-monorail-trains-to-feature-tron-legacy-art/) this morning.

AVP
- who was very sorry to see that I wasn't the first person to come up with Tronorail...

:(