PDA

View Full Version : Back to Save the World - Captain EO opens 2/23

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AVP
02-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Shortly after today's Cast Member test ended, Disneyland announced that Captain EO will reopen on Tuesday, February 23rd.

http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/media/disneyparks/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/eoo986681SMALL.jpg

One thing to note, the official announcement (you can read it here (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/02/official-reopening-date-set-for-captain-eo-featuring-michael-jackson/)) includes a little disclaimer: "While it’s not possible to replicate some special effects elements from the original presentation, it will boast a new 70mm print of the film, and it will sound better than ever thanks to acoustic enhancements made to the theater since the film last played there in 1997." In other words, be prepared that this won't be the exact show you remember.

The wait is almost over - now you just have to get through the lines.

AVP

olegc
02-19-2010, 01:58 PM
One thing to note, the official announcement (you can read it here (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/02/official-reopening-date-set-for-captain-eo-featuring-michael-jackson/)) includes a little disclaimer: "While it’s not possible to replicate some special effects elements from the original presentation, it will boast a new 70mm print of the film, and it will sound better than ever thanks to acoustic enhancements made to the theater since the film last played there in 1997." In other words, be prepared that this won't be the exact show you remember.

i wonder if the got rid of the 3-d elements or some portions of the film?

kfreak
02-19-2010, 02:10 PM
I hope it is a close to the original as possible. I cant wait now. Yay :D:~D:D

DisneyFanKat
02-19-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm so sorry if this is already covered in another thread - but can't seem to find it in any articles I've read about EO's return...

Is this a temporary change? If so, how long will it be there?

AVP
02-19-2010, 02:49 PM
It's a "Limited Engagement," and there is no announced end date. I've heard and read everything from 1 month to 18 months, but Disney hasn't said anything.

My 2c: it will be here through the summer at least, since it's the only "new" thing Disneyland has to promote. After that, I guess it's going to depend on how quickly they need the Magic Eye theater for whatever will eventually replace EO. Since nothing has been announced (or really even speculated about, beyond blue sky "wouldn't it be nice if..." rumors), I don't know when that might be.

I don't think we'll ever see Honey, I Shrunk the Audience again.

AVP

kfreak
02-19-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't think we'll ever see Honey, I Shrunk the Audience again.

AVP

Thank God. I only saw that show 2 times. The first was to get out of the summer heat, and the second was because someone in our group hadnt seen it, and really wanted to. Dont ask me why they wanted to, I dont know.

janell
02-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Yay, looking forward to seeing it. :)

mechurchlady
02-20-2010, 07:31 AM
Mom and I got to see HISTA as she had not seen it in a along time, 7 years and same for me. I made it a point last year to try new things like Napa Rose and a tender ride. I also made it very important to try everything over again in the parks if my health permitted it. I did not go to Hista until after I started taking Mom to DLR. I have vision problems and for me the show was always a bit out of sync or something.

Mom and I will be doing Captain Eo.
I think it will stay until they can get a replacement film. Disney was a salesman so I think they will keep Captain EO until they can get something that people will buy merchandise for like the current Ariel, Snow White, Peter Pan, and Pixar stuff.

I hope it will be close to the original but for those of us with faded memories or who never saw the show then we wont know the difference.

darph nader
02-21-2010, 07:35 AM
So Capt.EO is back. What's next,the return of the People Mover? :confused: :D

olegc
02-21-2010, 08:26 AM
So Capt.EO is back. What's next,the return of the People Mover? :confused: :D

only if it's somehow linked to millions of dollars and public scandal...

sorry - had to. Seriously though it would be great and I know we keep hearing ideas of something returning to that track - but if not soon I fear the track itself would be too costly to repair/replace.

DonKarnage
02-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Thank God. I only saw that show 2 times. The first was to get out of the summer heat, and the second was because someone in our group hadnt seen it, and really wanted to. Dont ask me why they wanted to, I dont know.

It has 2 people in it, Eric Idle (from the Monty Python group), and Rick Moranis (Dark Helmet in Spaceballs)!! I'm not saying that their work in this is stellar, but hey, they're in it & that's good enough for some people.
:cool:

potzbie
02-22-2010, 10:26 AM
My crystal ball predicts . . .

• People who are not rabid fans of Michael Jackson will find Captain Eo too retro, too derivative.

Granted:
• Rabid fans will eat up anything about Michael Jackson, so their opinions will include gratefulness and satisfaction, to see or hear anything "MJ".

Thus speaketh the crystal ball.

We'll see how on-target my crystal ball is, coming opening week.

When I saw Captain Eo on YouTube last month, I was not impressed.
Granted, I didn't have the earthquake effects nor the fireworks displays left and right.
So my judgment is based on video and sound, alone, plus the ordinary movie characteristics of: plot; story line; characterization; ending.

Tk421
02-22-2010, 11:02 AM
My crystal ball predicts . . .

Thus speaketh the crystal ball.

We'll see how on-target my crystal ball is, coming opening week.

When I saw Captain Eo on YouTube last month, I was not impressed.
Granted, I didn't have the earthquake effects nor the fireworks displays left and right.
So my judgment is based on video and sound, alone, plus the ordinary movie characteristics of: plot; story line; characterization; ending.

I myself am not in a rush to see this reopening. I think as mentioned previously that this is one of those videos that will seem very dated by todays standards. Not to say I wouldn't check it out if there was no line but not a must see right away.

I do hope long term they have something "fresh" going into that location because when it was HISTA I have kinda avoided that for a while.

AVP
02-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Last week's posting on the Disney Parks Blog (link (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/02/official-reopening-date-set-for-captain-eo-featuring-michael-jackson/)) also promised, "On Monday, we'll be making a special Captain EO announcement on Twitter." This set off a flurry of speculation that the film may also return to Epcot park in Walt Disney World, where it was shown from 1986 to 1994. The "special announcement" turned out to be that Captain EO merchandise will be available for sale at Disneyland starting tomorrow (link (http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservices/artofdisneyparks/event/dlr_captain_eo_merchandise.html)). The collection includes t-shirts, fleece jackets, hats, a poster and a button. A nylon jacket will be available in March. This merchandise will only be sold at Disneyland park, and will not be offered through Disneyland's merchandise guest services department.

AVP

carolinakid
02-22-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm not a fan of Captain EO (I pretty much lost interest in Jacko once the plastic surgery started) but I'm SICK of Honey, I Shrunk The Audience! So I'll be satisfied to see EO one more time....

olegc
02-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Last week's posting on the Disney Parks Blog (link (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/02/official-reopening-date-set-for-captain-eo-featuring-michael-jackson/)) also promised, "On Monday, we'll be making a special Captain EO announcement on Twitter." This set off a flurry of speculation that the film may also return to Epcot park in Walt Disney World, where it was shown from 1986 to 1994. The "special announcement" turned out to be that Captain EO merchandise will be available for sale at Disneyland starting tomorrow (link (http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservices/artofdisneyparks/event/dlr_captain_eo_merchandise.html)). The collection includes t-shirts, fleece jackets, hats, a poster and a button. A nylon jacket will be available in March. This merchandise will only be sold at Disneyland park, and will not be offered through Disneyland's merchandise guest services department.

AVP

and it seemed so rushed they have no stock photos to show before the date. I can envision the marketing department go "hmm, did we forget something? what do we always do with new events. ARGH! Merchandise!!!"

TowerofTerror
02-22-2010, 06:19 PM
I will be there. I hope to be one one of the first ones in line

AVP
02-22-2010, 06:24 PM
What time are you planning to get there? Even though Tuesday is an Early Entry / Magic Morning day, Disneyland is not allowing a line to form in Tomorrowland before normal park opening. Instead, there will be a line on the West side of the Esplanade (near the Newsstand), and the people in that line will be led into Disneyland for the first show.

Disneyland hasn't set a "no earlier than _____ a.m." time for the line to form, so it's hard to say what time you need to be there to get into the first showing. I'm seeing a LOT of buzz about this online, but very few people actually saying that they are planning to wait in line tomorrow morning.

AVP

Ish68
02-22-2010, 09:28 PM
from what i understand the effects that will not be back include the lazers that blasted in several parts of the movie. The instalation of the lazers was to costly for a limited run of the movie. Instead they hope that the new moveable floor will make up for the missing lazers.

its too bad because i think that was one of the best effects of the movie along with the occasional fog that would come out of the screen. not certain if that effect made a comeback

Catcherman22
02-22-2010, 11:33 PM
The line has started to form by the downtown disney security checkpoint

AJDerrick
02-23-2010, 05:13 AM
The line has started to form by the downtown disney security checkpoint

Oh wow! I'm really looking forward to seeing reports on this today. What time did you arrive, Catcherman22? How was the crowd looking?

AVP
02-23-2010, 05:25 AM
If you have a Twitter account, follow the @MousePlanet (http://twitter.com/mouseplanet) account for crowd updates and wait times. As of about 6am, the Orange County Register reporter said that there are 35 people in line.

AVP

janell
02-23-2010, 07:24 AM
I got a Tweet, sorry I don't tweet that often so Im not sure how to tweet back. Anyhow, the tweet said that Disney is asking guest to sign a release form. Why?

Catcherman22
02-23-2010, 07:41 AM
I was not in line.. lol but I had heard multiple reports of people who were in line.

SoCalSteven
02-23-2010, 07:44 AM
I got a Tweet, sorry I don't tweet that often so Im not sure how to tweet back. Anyhow, the tweet said that Disney is asking guest to sign a release form. Why?

Anyone in that line is going to get photographed or filmed. Its almost surely a release allowing them to use your likeness for marketing purposes without paying you anything for it. Pretty typical actually...