PDA

View Full Version : Where do these people get these tickets? [eBay ticket sales]

Pages : [1] 2 3

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Might not be in the right area, feel free to move.

DH (an airline pilot) and the first officer he is flying with went to Disneyland today, they had a long Orange County overnight, 33 hours. The first officer has purchased tickets 2 times from a guy on eBay. The first time he told DH about it, I told DH to tell him that there are a lot of scams on eBay with regards to tickets, and to be careful as they are not transferable. He got the tickets from eBay again this time. My DH wasn't sure how it all worked until after they had dinner and it was explained to him.
Here is a link to the eBay sellers current auction, he has NUMEROUS DLR tickets up for auction right now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-TICKETS-1-DAY-DISNEYLAND-PARK-HOPPER-PASS-2-21-3-05_W0QQitemZ330405103334QQihZ014QQcategoryZ16071QQ cmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3 DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252B LA%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D78792383588640445 60
Exactly how it works is explained in the auction. But they met this guy before the park opened, he gave them their tickets. They spent the day in the park and just before Ca Adv. closed, the guy met them IN Disneyland, so he must have an AP or something, and took the tickets from them. They can't get fastpasses, or leave the park and expect to get back in. DH said he really felt weird about it. I am just surprised that this is still going on. The guy he is flying with used the ticket service a year and a half ago, so this has been going on for quite some time. It just seems SO wrong.

TowerofTerror
02-15-2010, 10:14 PM
It does sound strange on what this ebayer does but I guess its legal what hes doing

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-15-2010, 10:16 PM
It does sound strange on what this ebayer does but I guess its legal what hes doing

DH said he thought they were a 10 day park hopper. I didn't think they even sold something like that. They paid about $48/ticket.

MammaSilva
02-16-2010, 12:56 AM
actually what they did is against Disneyland policy, tickets purchased are non transferable, they're lucky they didn't get scammed but they totally did break the rules set out by DLR regarding the use of tickets. That 4 days 2 parks ticket is a So Cal special sold at Costcos in the So Cal area and have resident restrictions. All admission media specifically says non transferable on each and every ticket. Those 4/2 tickets are actually supposed to be signed on the back and require a photo ID for use, your husband and his friend got lucky but that doesn't mean it will happen every time.

mom22gls
02-16-2010, 07:08 AM
Imagine waiting at a park, with your children, waiting for "some guy" to show up with your tickets. What if he did not show up on time? Also, what kind of example would that be to the kids; they would certainly catch on that you were trying to skirt the rules, to save money? What if you got caught, and were turned away at the gate, with the kids? There are "legal" ways to save money; a certified discount ticket broker, using a discount like AAA, or buying a limited access or duration ticket within your budget. We are doing a Disney volunteer day, as a family, which will save us quite a bit on our next passes. We stressed to the kids, however, that it is good to volunteer, without getting a reward, which is something we do on a regular basis.

Malcon10t
02-16-2010, 07:56 AM
These guys do get caught. And if you get caught with their tickets, you can get bounced out of the park. They are the reason for all the questions when you go to upgrade to an AP (they sell the last day for more so you can "upgrade", but don't always have all the info for you, or have incorrect info.) And when it goes to finger scans, they will be the first to complain.

candles71
02-16-2010, 08:01 AM
And when it goes to finger scans, they will be the first to complain.
I'm all for finger scans. Universal has been using them for a couple of years, its no big hassle. My youngest's finger was too little so they scanned, my oldest's
finger for hers.:p (since it was for an AP, we told her we'd just cut her finger off if she wasn't with us the next trip;):p)
I hope they get caught, I hate this type of thing. It shows the complete lack of honesty and integrity permeating society anymore.

adriennek
02-16-2010, 08:25 AM
But they met this guy before the park opened, he gave them their tickets. They spent the day in the park and just before Ca Adv. closed, the guy met them IN Disneyland, so he must have an AP or something, and took the tickets from them. They can't get fastpasses, or leave the park and expect to get back in. DH said he really felt weird about it. I am just surprised that this is still going on. The guy he is flying with used the ticket service a year and a half ago, so this has been going on for quite some time. It just seems SO wrong.

I think it would be funny if the people picked up the tickets in the morning and then left before the return time and didn't give the guy his tickets back. Of course, they wouldn't necessarily know how many days were left on the tickets.

It would be funnier if DL bought a ticket and caught the guy when they returned it to him and took away his AP.

Adrienne

Darkbeer
02-16-2010, 10:40 AM
It would be funnier if DL bought a ticket and caught the guy when they returned it to him and took away his AP.

Adrienne

It has happened a few times already :fez:

And the sellers do some screening of their buyers now because of the issue.

Malcon10t
02-16-2010, 11:52 AM

AdrienneI have personal knowledge of this happening to someone (a friend of a good friend... She said "Don't do it", but greed got the better of him...)

kfreak
02-16-2010, 01:12 PM
It really sucks that people would do that. I mean it doesnt cost that much to go, and if it will strain your wallet that much, just put away a little money each month to cover the cost of going. Saving money isnt a bad thing.

mswong40
02-16-2010, 01:28 PM
It really sucks that people would do that. I mean it doesnt cost that much to go, and if it will strain your wallet that much, just put away a little money each month to cover the cost of going. Saving money isnt a bad thing.

Exactly, when I was going in Dec. I was looking for the 3 day passes, and I recalled that Safeway food stores sold them, but they only had 2 day passes. We finally found them at the Disney Store. :) My ap's had expired in Oct.

A few friends kept telling us to go on eBay and purchase them, I kindly thanked them but said no thanks, my reasons were 1) How can you trust someone. 2) What are the odds of the tickets not working. 3) Worrying they were counterfeit tickets.

I personally think it sucks that people are doing this.

Darkbeer
02-16-2010, 01:31 PM
I know folks like myself and Malcon10t will happily point you to the best "legal" deals, such as the current Advance Purchase ParkHoppers at Disneyland.com/tickets.

Looking for the best deal is a smart thing to do, and why I happily post things like the new Howard Johnson's Anaheim Disneyland AP discounts, or to share coupons for the Disney's character Warehouse.

On the other hand, the current "scam" (and yes, IMHO, it is a scam) of reselling Multi-day ParkHoppers as "single" day tickets is very questionable. Disney does place undercover security on its property, especially the Lion King Tram loading area looking for folks trying to sell tickets "on" property.

MousePlanet does a good job of listing the current best deals in its weekly Disneyland Resort update. Those are deals you can feel comfortable with, and that when you walk thru the turnstiles you won't be worried about "getting caught"! Is saving a few dollars by "cheating" the system worth the worry you have when using the ticket?

Malcon10t
02-16-2010, 02:13 PM
For me, one of the best deals going is the 5 day park hopper from my credit union. It is $152 whereas the disneyland.com price is $169. If you want to upgrade to an AP, Disneyland credits you the entire $169.

kfreak
02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
For me, one of the best deals going is the 5 day park hopper from my credit union. It is $152 whereas the disneyland.com price is $169. If you want to upgrade to an AP, Disneyland credits you the entire $169.

See thats what is good about Disney. They do discount tickets for longer stays. I mean you are looking at 5 single day tickets costing well over 350 dollars a piece. They are giving it for 169. So people just need to learn to save money, and not try to cheat the system.

DwarfPlanet
02-17-2010, 02:01 PM
IMHO Disney needs to have a long talk with ebay and point out to them every ticket that is being sold is a non-transferable ticket. They need to make ebay take them off the market. I know there are other sites but ebay is the most well known.

Malcon10t
02-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Actually, eBay did start shutting them down, and they moved to Craigslist.

aznewsboy
02-17-2010, 05:05 PM
This is one of my pet peeves whether it's ebay/craigslist. Eventually this form of cheating trickles down to the honest buyer.

Even if I had less-than-honest tendencies I would be to afraid of getting burned & that's just not worth it. If these "sellers" are willing to fraud Disney how am I supposed to trust them?

I have a friend who has bought partial hoppers off ebay for his family & it's always worked out but I still don't think this is where you cut costs.

I have a co-worker who "shared" hopper tickets with a stranger off craigslist & she was the 2nd one to use the tickets. I was there (at work) when the exchange went down. They worked but you have to be awfully trusting to split the cost of a hopper with someone off craigslist & THEY are the ones who get to use the ticket first.

I agree with whoever mentioned what it teaches the kids. They are watching even at very young ages. I'm not alright with telling my kids not to lie while I do it myself. Once I almost signed up for a timeshare presentation knowing we wouldn't qualify financially but I really wanted the $100 gift card to Home Depot (I think). My hubby asked how much they wanted us to make & I said "I'll just lie". Our almost 3 year old daughter at the time said, "Mommy, you're not supposed to lie". That has stuck with me for 7 years & always will. So if you think they are not paying attention you are SO wrong!

mg194
02-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Couldn't DL stop it by just requiring that tickets be signed when they are first used?

lauramaynot
02-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Couldn't DL stop it by just requiring that tickets be signed when they are first used?

I would love to see the policy enforced, but it takes time for each person to sign their ticket and then if they want to compare it to a photo id then that takes extra time as well. Also kids don't typically carry ID so those tickets could easily be signed by whoever and they wouldn't be able to prove it wasn't them IYKWIM. I hope that they install the finger scanners as well - I know that people think the extra step will slow down the lines, but a few lines just for ticket activation and a few lines for already activated admission/AP's, would solve that problem easy peasy.

I also have a friend who shared the ebay 'tip' with me...I told her it was dishonest and against the policy and that if they were caught they would not be allowed into the park. She thought it was no big deal and laughed that they would catch them with the thousands of people entering the park :confused: I was like do you have no shame? I can't imagine how embarrassing it would be to be caught doing that! I have also seen people pulled at the turnstyles because their tickets were "questionable". They had military tickets and no one in their party could produce a military ID. I have no idea what happened with it since we scanned and went through while they were still talking with CM's...

DwarfPlanet
02-18-2010, 07:07 AM
Actually, eBay did start shutting them down, and they moved to Craigslist.

They may have tried but it looks like they gave up. I collect old Disneyland memoribilia and there are lots and lots of tickets still being sold. I have seen in the past that eBay very rarely enforces their policies.

Tinkermommy
02-18-2010, 08:21 AM
It's been my observation that eBay is more likely to enforce their own policies when a user points out the violation.

codewoman
02-18-2010, 10:07 AM
If someone fails to catch you doing something wrong, you're still doing something wrong.

Also, doesn't this mis-use of the tickets drive up the price Disney charges?

DisneyFanKat
02-19-2010, 01:52 PM
I think it would be funny if the people picked up the tickets in the morning and then left before the return time and didn't give the guy his tickets back. Of course, they wouldn't necessarily know how many days were left on the tickets.

Adrienne

A friend of mine did the ebay ticket purchasing recently - with having to meet the guy in the evening. I was curious and went with the guy who was returning the tickets and asked him (before meeting the ebay guy) - how does he even know you're going to give them back? You could've just taken off and come back another day.... I guess if you purchase a certian number of tickets (I think they did 10 or so that day?) then he holds on to a drivers licnese! Dang.

Shady and against policies? Yes. Did it work though and save a big family a bunch of money? Yes. (THAT time!?) Do I agree that it should be done that way though? No - so risky - can't the purchaser get in trouble just as the seller would? I'll stick with my AP and the payment plan! :)

AVP
02-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Also, doesn't this mis-use of the tickets drive up the price Disney charges?It's hard to point to a specific price increase and say "that, THAT one was because of fraud." However, the loss of the longer park hopper tickets is directly attributable to misuse of those tickets, which is why 10-day hoppers are only offered for sale "out of market." Australians can get them, but not US residents.

AVP