PDA

View Full Version : Security at Disneyland- Your Opinion requested.

Aussie Mike
02-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Hi all,

We have 2 familes (4 adults and 4 kids- 8,6,2 and six mths) travelling before Easter to Disneyland. I am requesting the opinions of Mouseplanet readers about security @ Disneyland.

Are you concerned about world events that could effect future trips?

cheers

Mike

DisneyFan25863
02-23-2003, 01:20 PM
I recomment that when your there, don't be a preoccupied about what MIGHT happen, just have fun.

As a Famous person once said..."Don't be worried what might happen today, because today has already happend in China" (or somthing to that extent)

Wizard69
02-23-2003, 02:27 PM
I don't think world events will have any impact on Disney. Just have fun when you are there. I go quite often every week and I don't worry about what's going on in the world when I am there and world events will not stop me from going there either.

As far as security, make sure you open all the zippers on your purses, backpacks, diaper bags, etc. before you get to the gate. It will make it easier for them to check and faster. Also open your coat because they WILL ask you to do that.

Aussie Mike
02-23-2003, 02:30 PM
Thank you for your opinions, seems strange that stories about tipping are more important than security at DL !

EandCDad
02-23-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Aussie Mike
Thank you for your opinions, seems strange that stories about tipping are more important than security at DL !

I wouldn't say they are more important. There have been a few threads about security at DL, if you do a search, you will probably find them, including a recent one. Also, this thread has only been open for a couple of hours, sometimes it takes a day or so before everyone sees it and comments on it.

As far as your question. They do seem to have increased visible security at Disneyland. You see more officers and security personnel. It seems that they are taking it seriously.

I never feel unsafe when I go there. I think that if you are going to travel, you should be prepared to put up with some delays everywhere you go, and realize that it involves some risk. However, I think the risk to an individual is so small as not to be worth worrying about.

Aussie Mike
02-23-2003, 03:12 PM
thank you for your comments, sorry for starting another thread when I should have checked earlier comments.

Novice member

EandCDad
02-23-2003, 03:14 PM
thank you for your comments, sorry for starting another thread when I should have checked earlier comments.

Novice member

I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't have started this thread. Just wanted to point out that we do talk about stuff besides tipping. ;)

As they say in your country, no worries. Have a great trip and if you have questions, ask!

DisneyFan25863
02-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Don't worry, we were ALL novices at one time ;)

screamin4ever
02-23-2003, 03:29 PM
I have many concerns about security at the parks but I am encouraged by the amount of uniformed and undercover security people present. They are everywhere.

I am avoiding the parking structure whenever possible and getting through the gates as quickly as possible. (Using Timon and Pumbaa lots) After reading the miceage article I am a little disturbed about people videotaping the parking structure and front entry. That is why I am changing a few of my habits. Only to be safer in my mind.

I think it is important not to be paranoid, but it is also unwise to pretend there isn't an issue. Disneyland is a target. That much is clear from intelligence reports going back to new year's eve 1999.

I take my family with my 3 and 6 year olds at least twice a month still. My enjoyment level is less because I am watching what is going on around me. My goal is for them to not know what I am doing so that they can have all the fantasy.

Just my 2 cents.

DisneyFan25863
02-23-2003, 03:34 PM
We useally park in the DTD lot, then take the Monorail in (you avoid the structure, the trams, the lines to get in, and you get to ride the MONRAIL!!!!)

screamin4ever
02-23-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
We useally park in the DTD lot, then take the Monorail in (you avoid the structure, the trams, the lines to get in, and you get to ride the MONRAIL!!!!)

Can you use you AP parking pass in the DTD lot?

Hades
02-23-2003, 04:31 PM

But to park there, be prepared to pay a lot more than you would at the parking structure. You may end up paying twice as much to park at DTD as you would at the Mickey and Friends parking lot. Typical parking rates at the DTD lot are $6.00 per hour as opposed to the one time parking fee of $8.00 (I think it is still $8.00) per day rate at the Mickey and Friends lot. If you eat at one of the DTD restaurants, you can get 2 hrs. of parking validated to compliment your 3 free hours, but you will more than likely spend more time than that at Disneyland or DCA.

Another thing to think about is the long walk back to your car after a long day of walking at the parks! There is no tram service to the DTD parking lots. If you get sore feet, use the parking structure or, if you get lucky, park in the Timon lot if you get to the resort early.;)

Grandbreaker
02-23-2003, 04:33 PM
Can you use you AP parking pass in the DTD lot? No you can't use it. You get 3 hrs free then if you eat in DTD ie Espn, Rain, HOB you get 2 extra hrs if you get your parking ticket stamped.

DisneyFan25863
02-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Whoops, I didn't mean the DTD lot, I ment the "oversized vheicle" lot over by the Parking Stucture. We ask to park there and they let us, and we get out parking free. We then walk over to DTD to catch the Monorail (it's npt too far it you cut through the gate at the south end of the lot) Gee, am I out of it today or what? :sleep:

Pirate Girl
02-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Hi all,

We have 2 familes (4 adults and 4 kids- 8,6,2 and six mths) travelling before Easter to Disneyland. I am requesting the opinions of Mouseplanet readers about security @ Disneyland.

Are you concerned about world events that could effect future trips?

cheers

Mike

Walt designed Disneyland to allow people to disconnect from the real world, however, DLPD takes world issues into account. As you may have noticed, they now search all bags entering the park.

jamsandwich
02-23-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
I recomment that when your there, don't be a preoccupied about what MIGHT happen, just have fun.

As a Famous person once said..."Don't be worried what might happen today, because today has already happend in China" (or somthing to that extent)

But what do the poor Chinese do?!?!?! :)

In all seriousness, I agree with the other posts. We planned a trip for just a few weeks later than yours and the thought of security at the resort barely crossed my mind. It's not worth worrying about, in my opinion.

-J

Kuzcotopia
02-23-2003, 06:54 PM
Here's my take:

It's much safer than going to a night club.

If you're from Australia, you might not have heard, but we've had two recent tragedys here in the US that could have been averted had proper fire exits been available.

I mean to say, there are dangers in everything, and odds are really low that terrorism is going to be the thing that gets ya.

Disney, to me, seems like the SAFEST place to be against terrorism, short of digging a hole in the mountains. Safest, because they not only have tons of security, and have for years, but also because they HIDE that security, and always have. Most folks don't know HOW Disney security spotted that hip-flask, but they did!

I won't talk about real security measures that I've seen, just for extra safety sake. But it's there, it's in force, and it is already built to eliminate contingencies that haven't even occurred to most places you will ever visit.

And chances are as a guest, you won't notice about 80% of it. And that's as it should be!

DisneyFan25863
02-23-2003, 07:02 PM
Seriously, somtimes they can get to places so fast, it looks like they can appear out of thin air. I was once walking along ROA, and saw these two people writing on the wall. About 2 seconds later, 5 security personall surronded them and asked what they were doing. They said nothing (of course). They replied "Oh yeah, well thats not what THIS TAPE says (holds up video tape)." I couldn't help but smile. :D