PDA

View Full Version : Six Flags Great Escape Park in Lake George, NY

betsylou
07-25-2001, 09:06 AM
Has anyone been there? Do you know anyone who has? I've looked at their
website but would like any further info! Thanks!

FredofLasVegas
07-25-2001, 12:12 PM
I have been to The Great Escape park. It is not officially a Six Flags park, but is owned by the company. If the nearby residents have their way, it will never become a Six Flags park. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Great Escape is a very pleasant, gorgeous little park in upstate New York. It has several themed areas including Crackaxle Canyon which is very nicely done. I believe this was once Storytown USA, and there are several setting to different fairly tales, including those Disney has done.

The park has five roller coaster. The only one that stands out is the Comet. While this wooden coaster is considered to be among the *very* best woodies, in the country, I found it to be slightly overrated, but still a lot of fun nonetheless. I thought simliar woodies such as Yankee Cannonball at Canobie Lake (NH) and Phoenix at Knoebel's (PA) were better.

Nightmare at Crackaxle Canyon was shockingly bad, and capacity on the ride is HORRID! But the rest of the park is very pleasant. I really enjoyed and might make it back there one of these years.

A couple things to note:

1. If you have a Six Flags season pass, admission is free
2. As of LAST year, parking was free. I don't know if that still is the case which SF passes now accepted there.

If I were to grade Great Escape I'd give a "B"

Fred of Las Vegas

betsylou
07-30-2001, 04:30 AM
Thanks so much for the Great Escape info! I think we're going next month.
We've also been to Canobie Lake Park and liked it a lot. I heard there was an
accident on one of the rollercoasters (brakes didn't work) last week and a few
people got hurt. I haven't heard any details though. Anyway, thanks for your
post and information!