PDA

View Full Version : Golden Dreams

Pages : [1] 2

nursemelis374
02-21-2003, 08:04 PM
I just wanted to make sure that everyone has given this movie a chance. I know that it i cheesy at times, but it is also really well done. I love it! When I leave at the end I am soooooooo grateful to live in the best state in the union and I feel inspired to change the world!

iAmJacksDLand
02-21-2003, 08:16 PM
The best state in the Union? I don't know about that... other than Disneyland. With the deflating budget on education and the rising taxes, Disneyland is the only thing that will keep me here throughout college.

And while Golden Dreams is done well I suppose, take a look at the que the next time you walk by... I've seen a max of five people there at any given time.

So, I say, blow it up and make it a high capacity attraction for the San Francisco area - after all, Golden Dreams is the only thing that miniscule land has. Other than the bathroom ride and the amazing drinking fountain adventure.

One thing that delightfully bothers me about DCA is the lack of Indy style ques. Ques aren't fun. You don't go to DL to stand in line. And with 75 minute and up waits for Soarin, you would've thought they would put in a little more elaborate of a waiting area for all those guests. Well, they get the bebop singing people in the middle of Condor Flats... now what do they have to do with flight?

rexfarms
02-21-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by nursemelis374
When I leave at the end I am soooooooo grateful to live in the best state in the union and I feel inspired to change the world!

I agree.

PassionApathy385
02-21-2003, 09:51 PM
I have to agree that CA is the one of the best states in the union. You get it all : city/country. Mountains/ocean. The weather is almost perfect (comparatively), there's SOO much to do here, and CA has some of the most beautiful scenery in the U.S. And I AM speaking from experience because I've been to several other states.
Also...FUN FACT: Did you know the California has the 5th largest economy in the WORLD? We could secede from the union and become our own country if we wanted to.

rexfarms
02-21-2003, 10:09 PM
Golden Dreams is insperational.

MrTheFrog
02-21-2003, 10:26 PM
It's my favorite thing in the park :)
-Artie

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
02-21-2003, 11:59 PM
It is very well done - I cry everytime I see it

YellowMan
02-22-2003, 12:28 AM
I agree that it is very well done and very inspirational. I do enjoy this attraction, although I don't consider it something that I will do each trip (or even every other trip for that matter). However, it is occasionally fun to get in there and watch the film about our great state of California.

Sad thing is, not many regular park goers give this attraction a chance. Like iAmJacksDLand said, there never are very many people in the queue (I think 5 people is a bit of an underestimate). While I enjoy this film, it just isn't doing well with the general public, and I think that the space could be better suited with a ride that many people will enjoy and actually give a chance.

ErikBsandiego
02-22-2003, 08:43 AM
My wife thinks it is emptionally manipulative.....but think that it captures a lot of the reasons why California is a great state.

justagrrl
02-22-2003, 12:43 PM
It's one of the few things I've never done at the parks. Guess I'll give to give it a try next time.

nw_native
02-23-2003, 01:43 PM
FUN FACT: Did you know the California has the 5th largest economy in the WORLD? We could secede from the union and become our own country if we wanted to.

I'm sure there would be great support for this throughout the union, especially from the western neighbors.

tazart
02-23-2003, 08:36 PM
Does anyone remember when DCA first opened? The part of Golden Dreams when the Chinese railroad workers are filling holes in the side of the mountain with TNT, lighting the fuses and being hauled up quickly in the baskets, OK? The film used to show the side of the mountain blowing up on the group that doesn't quite get back up fast enough. I was SHOCKED when it happened and that Disney would let something like that go but it helped the drama of the scene. Not there any more, maybe too many complaints about it? Who remembers that and what did you think of that scene?

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
02-23-2003, 10:36 PM
Golden Dreams is perhaps the most ‘California’ themed attraction in a theme park about California. It is on the longer side - 25 minutes or so - and builds the complete history of our state and ends with a song of hope and encouragement. I walk out of the theater with the same feeling I get after going to church - uplifted.

Some posts on this thread and other threads about Golden Dreams have referenced how the film is ‘emotionally manipulative’ - especially the bit about the special Olympics kids jumping up and down during the closing song.

No one is selling anything - this isn’t a corporate culture film - or dogmatic institution weaving it’s ideals on the unsuspecting masses. It’s Whoopi Goldberg with a ton of wardrobe changes, and pure Disney magic ................enjoy it for what it is - a very well done thoughtful movie about a society learning from it’s mistakes and dreaming for a better tomorrow.

I hope they never take this one out.

Darkbeer
02-23-2003, 11:11 PM
In my opinion it is a movie, and just that "a movie"... something you could see at the AMC theater at Downtown Disney, or at home with a DVD/VHS.

And in fact it is a "PC" film, with liberal bias!

What they need to do is close the attraction,and offer a DVD/VHS for those who love it! (and willing to pay $19.95 for it!)

And replace it with the original idea, Circle of Hands, part of the original plans, or convert the area to a Motion Simulator, or some other type of "ride", and not just a movie!:cool:

DZNEENUT
02-24-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
And in fact it is a "PC" film, with liberal bias!

Some would argue this is even more California theming given the San Francisco location.

YellowMan
02-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by tazart
Does anyone remember when DCA first opened? The part of Golden Dreams when the Chinese railroad workers are filling holes in the side of the mountain with TNT, lighting the fuses and being hauled up quickly in the baskets, OK? The film used to show the side of the mountain blowing up on the group that doesn't quite get back up fast enough. I was SHOCKED when it happened and that Disney would let something like that go but it helped the drama of the scene. Not there any more, maybe too many complaints about it? Who remembers that and what did you think of that scene? I definitely remember that, and I was fairly surprised. I mean, it actually depicted to people being killed (not gruesomly, but the scene was looking at the two people in the basket as the explosion from the side engulfed them). I was surprised that Disney let this into the film, knowing that there would be children and sensetive viewers watching this film. It was no surprise to me that they changed it, and I think the way it is done now is just as good as before (though it is implied death instead of actually seeing it). The only thing I liked about the first version was the way the scene changed. The people were engulfed in the smoke and debri from the explosion, then the camera zooms out from the smoke to show it coming from a steam engine travelling the tracks. Either way was good in my opinion.

rexfarms
02-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Yes, I even told my friend about this so that he would go and watch it with me again. But when it didnt show up, he didnt believe me. :rolleyes:

Lashbear
02-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Again, talking from the 'foreign' point of view (ie as a traveller):

I got the biggest emotional manipulation (sorry, thrill) from the following attractions:
Golden Dreams
Great Moments with Mr Lincoln
The American Adventure (Epcot I know, but still valid)

...Each of them actually made me want to sign up as an American Citizen there and then !!! I was coming out of each theater thinking "Gosh, you'd have to be proud to be an American after that"

...Don't ever lose these precious presentations - they are wonderful reminders of what a proud and strong nation the USA really is, and a powerful incentive to other countries to try and get the spirit themselves !

Cheers,
Rob.
an emotional Aussie bear :)

rexfarms
02-24-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Lashbear
Again, talking from the 'foreign' point of view (ie as a traveller):

I got the biggest emotional manipulation (sorry, thrill) from the following attractions:
Golden Dreams
Great Moments with Mr Lincoln
The American Adventure (Epcot I know, but still valid)

...Each of them actually made me want to sign up as an American Citizen there and then !!! I was coming out of each theater thinking "Gosh, you'd have to be proud to be an American after that"

...Don't ever lose these precious presentations - they are wonderful reminders of what a proud and strong nation the USA really is, and a powerful incentive to other countries to try and get the spirit themselves !

Cheers,
Rob.
an emotional Aussie bear :)

I couldnt agree with you more. BTW are you an American Citizen?

MonorailMan
02-24-2003, 08:13 PM
If you read his Location it states:

:) Well, he still could be a US citizen, but I doubt it. ;)

DisneyFan25863
02-24-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Lashbear
Each of them actually made me want to sign up as an American Citizen there and then !!!

I think that means that he was not American at the time, but maybe he is now. Well, Lashbear?;)

rexfarms
02-24-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
If you read his Location it states:

:) Well, he still could be a US citizen, but I doubt it. ;)

Yes thats why I asked.;)

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
02-24-2003, 10:10 PM
Darkbeer - media can change the world.

It was Abraham Lincoln that said upon meeting Harriet Beecher Stowe ...."So you're the lady that wrote the book that started the Civil War?". But it was just a book..... right?

Golden Dreams needs to be in DCA - For the same reasons Capitain EO wouldnt' be the same on VHS at home - and you probably won't find Fantasmic! on DVD....no matter how good it could sound on your surround sound system.

Niwel
02-25-2003, 01:42 PM
A few Dreamy points

#1 I ALWAYS cry during the song.

#2 I get a kick when Whoopi talks about the "Eastern Europeans" who came over to make Hollywood what it is -- I guess they couldn't say "Jewish Americans" (The Marx Brothers, Mayer, Zucker, the Warners). As a Jewish American, I always silently salute "my peeps." :)

#3 Why would Mayer mention Judy Garland -- pre-"Wizard of Oz" she wasn't THAT well-known?

#4 I'm glad they changed the Railroad scene ... implied death is always better than ACTUAL death.

#5 And maybe it is propaganda ... but I think we need that sort of thing every once in a while :)

cujosr
02-25-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by tazart
Does anyone remember when DCA first opened? The part of Golden Dreams when the Chinese railroad workers are filling holes in the side of the mountain with TNT, lighting the fuses and being hauled up quickly in the baskets, OK? The film used to show the side of the mountain blowing up on the group that doesn't quite get back up fast enough. I was SHOCKED when it happened and that Disney would let something like that go but it helped the drama of the scene. Not there any more, maybe too many complaints about it? Who remembers that and what did you think of that scene?

This showed that Disney could actually depict reality. because you know what? Stuff like that really happened. the fact that they took it out shows that Disney has no guts to do anything really off the wall. I really apperciated that scene and when watching it one day and seeing that it was edited out I was ashamed that disney would ruin a piece of art by making it polittically correct. So I say this being a (wanna be) filmmaker, HOW DARE YOU DISNEY!!!.

On the other hand the song, "One Dream" at the end still always makes me cry.