PDA

View Full Version : A night on Tom Sawyer Island

Pages : [1] 2

Duane
02-21-2003, 09:36 AM
I have always wanted to hide on Tom Sawyer's Island at dusk and spend the night in Disneyland. Does anyone know if there are any hidden cameras to monitor the island? I wonder if anyone has pulled it off in the past? If security caught you, what would they do? I have also wanted to hide in Tarzan's Treehouse overnight. Anybody else had such a thought?

Techie7
02-21-2003, 09:37 AM
I know of at least one person that stayed on the island past closing... never mind the fact that he drowned trying to get back to shore.

Duane
02-21-2003, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't try to swim across the river, I would just stay the night inside of a cave or fort. Just imagine, you could play on the island all night by yourself!

Andrew
02-21-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Techie7
I know of at least one person that stayed on the island past closing... never mind the fact that he drowned trying to get back to shore.

With the Rivers drained right now, you'd be less likely to drown. If they weren't drained, that would mean you actually have to... ew... touch that stuff!

innerSpaceman
02-21-2003, 10:47 AM
Spending the night on Tom Sawyer Island is a cherished fantasy of mine, as I'm sure it is for many folks. This is a marketing opportunity that I am surprised Disney has missed.

If you were to be able to stow away on the Island past dusk, you'd have to remain out of sight all night long. Disneyland is very active 24 hours a day, and you would be spotted by eyeballs from shore if you ventured outside of Injun Joe's Cave.

Laffite
02-21-2003, 11:39 AM
Beside, since there are constructions going on, it would be very hard to escape all those workers.

Tigertail777
02-21-2003, 11:53 AM
Yeah! they could fefurbish the fort and turn it into a Themed overnight sleeping/bunking place where you sleep in either sleeping bags under the stars, or simple bunks indoors for less hardy people. They could have night time campfire entertainment, with singing/dancing etc. or just show movies on a theater screen in the fort. A bonus for a such a package to round off the evening would be to ride on a nighttime dessert buffet of the Mark Twain, with possibly a dixieland jazz band on board.

Allysen1Derland
02-21-2003, 01:13 PM
I loved Tom Sawyer's Island! Especially the barrel bridge!

However, the whole-spending-the-night dealie- I would probably be forced to spend it in Injun Joe's Cave, and why not save myself the trip and just spend the night in the bathroom at Santa Monica Beach? :p UGGHH....

You know what I mean, jellybeans! :) That poor cave! I mean, what goes on in there? Guests can't wait to find a restroom?? Gag....

It's been forever since I've been in there, but the scent remains with you....Yikes!
:eek: :D ;)

iAmJacksDLand
02-21-2003, 08:25 PM
Attractions like Indy can thrill us, attractions like Soarin can wow us, attractions like teacups can make us laugh and feel sick... and while I have many favorites in the land of Disney, my all time favorite place is that damn concrete island.

Take a 2 minute raft ride across a fake river, and you're in another world like no other. Kiss a girl, play some checkers, pretend you are Mickey, play hide and seek, eat your lunch, climb, jump, run, sit, and watch the rest of the crowds milling through Splash and Haunted and know this is the attraction they really missed out on.

I hope to God the rehab doesn't do anything to change any of this.

rexfarms
02-21-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by iAmJacksDLand
Attractions like Indy can thrill us, attractions like Soarin can wow us, attractions like teacups can make us laugh and feel sick... and while I have many favorites in the land of Disney, my all time favorite place is that damn concrete island.

Take a 2 minute raft ride across a fake river, and you're in another world like no other. Kiss a girl, play some checkers, pretend you are Mickey, play hide and seek, eat your lunch, climb, jump, run, sit, and watch the rest of the crowds milling through Splash and Haunted and know this is the attraction they really missed out on.

I hope to God the rehab doesn't do anything to change any of this.

TOTAL AGREEMENT HERE!

tiggerandtink
02-22-2003, 12:43 AM
It will be a great place to sleep once the refurbishments are done. The ground will be so soft.

YellowMan
02-22-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
Yeah! they could fefurbish the fort and turn it into a Themed overnight sleeping/bunking place where you sleep in either sleeping bags under the stars, or simple bunks indoors for less hardy people. They could have night time campfire entertainment, with singing/dancing etc. or just show movies on a theater screen in the fort. A bonus for a such a package to round off the evening would be to ride on a nighttime dessert buffet of the Mark Twain, with possibly a dixieland jazz band on board. The problem is that there are many, many workers that work all night long. The night trip on the Mark Twain would be out of the question as the workers would have to stay out of sight in New Orleans Square and Critter Country as the boat went by. Also, after the Island is refurbished there would have to be work done on the actual island at some point each day, just as there is throughout the rest of the park. Having guests there 24 hours a day would leave no time for work on it.

Tigertail777
02-22-2003, 01:37 AM
Ya just had to puncture my dream with facts and logic an stuff didnt ya Yellowman? LOL

Hydroman
02-22-2003, 06:05 AM
You know, I don't buy into the "inside a theme park" tag line that goes with the Grand Californian, as it is stuck in one corner of DCA. But if you could have overnight camping on TSI, now that would be something. You would be surrounded by theme park.

I would envision three levels of service ... sleeping bags under the stars, tents, and cabins (un-burning variety). Personal items of overnight guests could be collected (and screened for bombs and such, like checked luggage at the airport) at some place outside the park (such as near Guest Relations or the Kennel) and then transported to the Island after dusk. Food service would be light, perhaps nothing more than a marshmallow/wieny (sp?) roast. Breakfast could be served at the River Belle Terrace (MM pancakes....aaarrrgh.....drooling like Homer). Entertainment could be provided by CMs portraying Huck, Becky T., Injun Joe, Jim, and of course Tom Sawyer. Nothing fancy, just sharing stories and reminiscing around a roaring campfire ....

Low cost and sure to make money ........ maybe KOA or REI or Eddie Bauer could sponsor it.

SoCalDisneyLover
02-22-2003, 08:26 AM
For the sake of Disney making money, I don't see what the problem would be. What would it matter if there were workers on the mainland going about their late-night jobs. While I think a trip on the Mark Twain might be a little on the costly side, a sleepover on the island seems quite practical, and would be a revenue bonanza.

The question is whether a place exists on the island for a large gathering of people. They would most likely have to contain the area, and limit attendance. It could be a campfire type experience, with perhaps hot dogs, marshmallows, etc. They could mix in a character appearance or two. The principal costs as I see it would be the hiring of additional cast members and security to watch the major parts of the island. Transport everyone over on 1 raft after park closing...or even before. Sure...it would involve a bit of planning, but if they limited attendance to say 40, and charged a flat fee of $75/person, that would bring in $3,000/night. They would only offer it during the summer, and maybe only Friday-Sunday if they chose. They could also show a Disney movie or something to keep everyone entertained.

One thing which might limit the schedule would be the nighttime showing of Fantasmic, but where there's a will there's a way. And does anybody doubt that people will pay....just as they do for a better seat and dessert to watch Fantasmic. Heck...they could even make it a once a month event and raise the price. If people are willing to pay hundreds to eat dinner and see HMH, what is a true Disney style campout on TSI worth?

downingfamily1
02-22-2003, 08:51 AM
Didn't I read somewhere that there was a bit of a rat problem at night on the island? :~D

YellowMan
02-22-2003, 01:58 PM
For the sake of Disney making money, I don't see what the problem would be. What would it matter if there were workers on the mainland going about their late-night jobs. Well it would definitely ruin the magic (also probably be quite noisy during the night) to look across the river and see many workers cleaning the streets and doing all the things that guests aren't supposed to see. That and the fact that Tom Sawyer's Island would be in use 24 hours a day. It doesn't have the luxury of a hotel where they have time between the checkout of one guest to the check in of another to clean up and do work, because between those check out and check in times there are regular park-going guests exploring the island.

I have no doubt that Disney would make a boatload by doing something like this, I just don't think it's practical.

Hydroman
02-22-2003, 02:10 PM
The camping/lodging area could be on the Northern half of the island, which is closed to the public. It would also be out of the way of Fantasmic!.

And I think this might be better pulled off in the slower seasons, when the park opens later and closes earlier, to better maximize the time that could be spent at Camp Huck.

Lost Boy
02-22-2003, 08:21 PM
Hate to do this, but the Island is infested with Rats that come out at night. Right now, with the waters drained, they can get to the mainland so the rat problem gets worse around the heavily planted areas around the river. They seem to find plently of places to hide during the day, but I understand at night it is a real problem. And there are lots of wild cats around to keep the rat population down. This is not rumor, but stated fact from workers at night and otheres who have had to go out to the Island at night to clean out the Rats. Lots of bugs too. Nasty big bugs. Don't forget that one whole end of the island is off limits to guests, so the rats, cats and bugs are pretty much on there own on the North end of the Island. Even the cabin doesn't burn anymore. I would imagine that spending the night out on the Island would not be the romantic, fantasy night you wanted. :eek:

MonorailMan
02-22-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
I would imagine that spending the night out on the Island would not be the romantic, fantasy night you wanted. :eek:

2 words: Survivor: Disneyland.

TC could be held around the burning house. (Fire=Life). ;)

DisneyFan25863
02-22-2003, 08:51 PM
:D Survivor: DisneyLand; Outwit, Outplay, outride :D

Ace
02-22-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by tiggerandtink
It will be a great place to sleep once the refurbishments are done. The ground will be so soft.

game, set, and match.

It would be cool if they padded everything like Goofy's Bounce House.

Pirate Girl
02-23-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Spending the night on Tom Sawyer Island is a cherished fantasy of mine, as I'm sure it is for many folks. This is a marketing opportunity that I am surprised Disney has missed.

I am surprised that they havent picked up an that. Sea World does it with the shark and penguin encounters. Disney could charge an ungodly amount for a campout, possibly in teepees or something like that, or a night in the fort. They could keep everyone on TSI and the rest of the Park wouldn't even be disturbed.

Ace
02-23-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by 100thGrimGrinningGhost
I am surprised that they havent picked up an that. Sea World does it with the shark and penguin encounters. Disney could charge an ungodly amount for a campout, possibly in teepees or something like that, or a night in the fort. They could keep everyone on TSI and the rest of the Park wouldn't even be disturbed.

I bet they have thought of it but the lawyers had a problem with it.

DisneyFan25863
02-23-2003, 02:47 PM
Probably because Yellow Saftey Tape dosn't stick to dirt :D