PDA

View Full Version : Tucsonans descend on DisneyLand!

Kikimalaka
02-19-2003, 02:33 AM
I've been reading these boards for the past two months. I just wanted to thank all of you for the wonderful and useful information! We are headin' out in 90 minutes.
I think half of Tucson is going to Disneyland this weekend. For those of you who don't know...kids in Tucson get 2 days off in February for Rodeo Days.
Again, thanks!

MouseWife
02-19-2003, 05:36 AM
Wow! You guys have loads of fun!!

And, two days off for the rodeo? I am not going to tell the kids this. They already want to be compensated for the fact that other kids get snow days!!! :D

Pirate Bill
02-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by MouseWife
They already want to be compensated for the fact that other kids get snow days!!! :D
Yeah, but they still have to make them up after they're "supposed" to be out for the summer. :p

Sometimes, I wish we had "heat" days here in Phoenix... where it's just too hot to leave the house, much less expect kids to walk home from school in 115+ weather. Insanity I tell you!

MouseWife
02-19-2003, 01:38 PM
LOL Oh, I had heard about that. That sucks. But, I guess it catches everyone by surprise so there is no preparation time.

My goodness, that is hot!!

I really hate those hot days. I have actually called the schools and told them that I really hope they are not letting teachers take kids out for P.E.

cutelittleartist
02-19-2003, 01:50 PM
Ah, yes.. Rodeo Days.

I grew up in Tucson , AZ and I now reside in Los Angeles. The city and state, still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, sad to say.

Arizona was one of the last states to honor Martin Luther King JR's birthday. My grandparents would keep me out of school that day anyways. Quite a few of my close class mates were allowed to do the same.

Of course, at the time, Tucson would rather keep their beloved Rodeo Days instead of observing such an important man and martyr.

I still go back to Tucson to visit my fam. I do miss the lovely sunsets and lightning storms. However, I'm quite happy here. :)

Now I can go to Disneyland at least twice a month, instead of once a year!! :D

tiggerandtink
02-19-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by cutelittleartist
Ah, yes.. Rodeo Days.

I grew up in Tucson , AZ and I now reside in Los Angeles. The city and state, still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, sad to say.

Arizona was one of the last states to honor Martin Luther King JR's birthday. My grandparents would keep me out of school that day anyways. Quite a few of my close class mates were allowed to do the same.

Of course, at the time, Tucson would rather keep their beloved Rodeo Days instead of observing such an important man and martyr.

I still go back to Tucson to visit my fam. I do miss the lovely sunsets and lightning storms. However, I'm quite happy here. :)

Now I can go to Disneyland at least twice a month, instead of once a year!! :D

I too grew up in Tucson and used to go skiing on Rodeo Days. I never actually knew anyone that went to the Rodeo and have always been a little embarassed that the days even exist, but heck, 4 day weekends are pretty sweet.
As far as the Martin Luther King Day debacle. AZ was one of the last states that is true, but the state got a bit of a bad rap there. There were actually two proposals for making the day a holiday on the ballot, both of which passed with large margins, but in doing so cancelled each other out. You were supposed to vote for one or the other, not both. I know that sounds like something that would only happen in FL (jk) but it did. It didn't help that the Gov. Ev Mecham was an idiot that did make racially insensitve comments (like telling a Jewish assembly that the US was a great Christian nation, or refering to African-Americans as "picininees" and claiming it was a term of affection), needless to say he was impeached and the holiday was put on the next ballot with clearer language and again passed easily.

I used to have a t-shirt that had a picture of Mecham with a Mickey Mouse Ears hat that said "Ev" on it and the words "Mickey Mecham" written across it like an old Mickey Mouse shirt. Of course I realize that the slam on Mecham was also one on Mickey, but at the time it seemed pretty funny.

Tucson does have the best lightning storms and sunsets. As much as I hated the summer heat, I miss the summer nights, after a late afternoon monsoon and the temp went down and the smell of desert and rain filled the air and everyone on the street would be on their front porch for the entire evening. Those are the times I miss when I think of Tucson.

leota's necklace
02-20-2003, 11:42 AM
Ah, yes.. Rodeo Days.

(snip)

Man.

With an attitude like that, I'm sure we miss you here in Tucson.

Putting it gently, and speaking for the rest of the city, we're happy that you're happy.

innerSpaceman
02-20-2003, 12:09 PM
I'd like to also put in a good word for Tucson. I never lived there, but my brother did for quite a while and so there were many family visits to the fine city.

It is SO TRUE - Best Sunsets and Best Lightning in America!!!

I'd like to thank tiggerandtink for that explanation into the MLK holiday vote. I hope no one ever makes that a rationale to not support or visit Arizona. Whatever happened, it was another time. And let me tell you, Arizona timelessly remains one of the most beautiful states in the nation, with some of the most splendid natural wonders of the world. A trip to Arizona for those of us who live near Disneyland is just as worthwhile as a trip to Disneyland is for those who live in Arizona.

mystycalchyk
02-21-2003, 06:57 AM
sheesh all this talk of Arizona.

I have to get at least one little plug in for Flagstaff then.

[secret] We have amazing sunsets, rainbows and lightning storms here too

Greetings from the northland. :D

*shrugs*

sesame
02-23-2003, 07:13 AM
I have live in Tucson most of my life, and Rodeo is the weekend to go to DL. It is not so crowded but is pretty warm, but not hot either. Wow so many people from Tucson on this board, Amazing!

Kristine

tiggerandtink
02-23-2003, 11:54 AM
Not only are there a lot of MPs in Tucson, there are a lot of us that are either from there or went to school there as we found out in the Mouse Adventure thread. I think that it's probably the biggest group outside of SoCa. Although I'm in the NW now and there seems to be a lot of us up here too. We need to come up with some local chapters so we can have bunco (don't ask) parties.

cutelittleartist
02-24-2003, 08:57 AM
Hey leota's necklace,

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However, you don't know me. Nor do you know what I've had to put up with.

I went to a catholic school from the age of 6 to 15. This was in the seventies early 80's. I was the only black student there at the time. I was picked on constantly. A fourth grade teacher at the school caused me great emotional stress. My Grandfather had to visit the school quite often because of this.

I have many more stories to tell about growing up Black in Tucson, as well as Phoenix. But this is not what this thread is about.

With an understanding, empathetic atitude like yours, I'm glad I left. Putting it gently of course. ;)

leota's necklace
02-25-2003, 08:49 PM
However, you don't know me. Nor do you know what I've had to put up with.

I went to a catholic school from the age of 6 to 15. This was in the seventies early 80's. I was the only black student there at the time. I was picked on constantly. A fourth grade teacher at the school caused me great emotional stress. My Grandfather had to visit the school quite often because of this.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I, too, went to Catholic school in Tucson, from 1976 to 1984. I, too, was picked on constantly.

I don't blame my experiences on the city, though. I'm sorry your childhood soured you on my hometown. I had a hard time growing up here, but it was because of certain people, not the city as a whole. I'm not going to let what happened to me in fourth grade continue to cause me anguish. I can put the ignorance of individuals behind me and still love and appreciate the city, its culture, and its history. You can't, and that's fine, too.

I'm glad you've found somewhere that suits you better. (Though I find it odd to hold up L.A. as a bastion of civil rights. I could take your approach to things and say that the King trial and subsequent riots 'left a bitter taste in my mouth', purely for the sake of example. )

Every place has its positives as well as its negatives...even Disneyland. Sorry you missed out on the beauty here, beyond the monsoons and the sunsets.

Baloo
02-25-2003, 09:09 PM
I feel so cheated. With some states getting SnowDays, others getting Rodeo Days etc etc. Here in Southern California we don't get to many days off because of our beautiful weather that is normally in the wonderful 70's. East coast freezing Southern California beautiful weather in the 70's.

Although we do get an occasional high 90's or low 60's

CaliforniaAdventurer
02-28-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Baloo
I feel so cheated. With some states getting SnowDays, others getting Rodeo Days etc etc. Here in Southern California we don't get to many days off because of our beautiful weather that is normally in the wonderful 70's. East coast freezing Southern California beautiful weather in the 70's.

Although we do get an occasional high 90's or low 60's

It's so funny, in the AM I watch the Today Show and see Katie Kouric standing outside of Rockefeller Center in a 15 degree Blizzard at 6 am local time. Cut to coverage "in your neck of the woods" and the LA Weatherman warns me "Be careful out there folks, 1 to 2 inches of RAIN is expected in the Southland, keep it here for STORMWATCH 2003"

LOL.

Cloudcroft
03-01-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by mystycalchyk
sheesh all this talk of Arizona.

I have to get at least one little plug in for Flagstaff then.

[secret] We have amazing sunsets, rainbows and lightning storms here too

Greetings from the northland. :D

DITTO from another Northlander!

We are finally getting some snow and the kids got a snow day yeserday. They've used up all the snow days for this year, any more and those lucky little kiddies get to stay longer at the end of the year. :~D