PDA

View Full Version : Cynthia/Paul: Thanks for Lincoln!

merlinjones
07-24-2001, 04:17 PM
Popped by the park last night for the first time in several months on my way back to LA from San Diego. Got a chance to see the new Lincoln show and was very pleased with the overall results!

I want to truly thank the powers-that-be for showing some love to a classic attraction rather than replacing it. It's amazing how just a bit of change goes a long way.

The highlight for me was the restoration of The Battle Hymn of the Republic and the Stars and Stripes sky from Walt's original show. The absence of these two items had long festered with me during the run of the previous version (which I never liked). The animation was far more restrained, subtle and refined in this version, a vast improvement over the previous over-acting figure (not just the capabilty of the figure but the animation acting in particular). The flavor of the original show is in more evidence here than it had been (though the current show doesn't have that stylized Walt Disney era over-the-top finesse that makes me all teary - - particulary the original scoring and the more unique acting of Royal Dano).

The audio effects were fun and I think the gimmick is needed to get the attention of younger audience members, who were much more attentive here than they have been in years at this venue. I didn't think it interfered with the "dignity of the performance".

I do think that the presented backstory is overly elaborate and detailed (a more recent park tradition). These things used to be more subtext than text. It really doesn't take that much work to put you into the scenario.

At any rate I found the show successful for its modest intent. I only hope that they hand out a flyer or do some advertising to let people know the show has changed - - otherwise the finance department will not think these efforts are worthwhile (which they are!). People must know about it to see it. I wish that Tiki Room and Country Bears and Carousel of Progress (sent back from WDW) would be goosed up in a similar manner, respectful of the show's history, but freshening it to new audiences.

HOWEVER - - Everyone should be ashamed of the sorry exhibit prepared for Walt Disney - founder of a multi-billion dollar corporation - on his centenniary. I've seen better displays in my office and bedroom. If it weren't for the remaining Formal Office (and the okay new film), there would be nothing to see! With all of the cool material available in Archives and Animation Research Library, the best they could do was mounting photos?

See... they DO hate Walt!!!

I would call The Disney Family Foundation and arrange to have portions of the current Reagan Library exhibit on Walt's life moved to DL after it finishes this fall. OR arrange something respectable from Dave Smith, please, in time for Walt's birthday in December. This is just pitiful.

Lacrosse Boy
07-25-2001, 01:17 PM
Love it.

disneymagic
07-25-2001, 01:22 PM
It is way better then what I remember of the first one

splbound
07-25-2001, 08:49 PM
I disagree with you on one issue. I think they threw out the very best moment of the entire show. The most dramatic, and awe inspiring moment of the entire presentation was the moment when Abe stood. Even the week before it closed that still envoked a "oooh" from the people in the audience. The fact that he was standing from the start really lessened the "Great Moment" to a so-so moment. The fact that he sits at the end is kind of anti-climatic.

do you agree?

I agree that the "Walt Disney Story" has been reduced to the "Walt Disney Mention".

merlinjones
07-25-2001, 11:08 PM
>>I disagree with you on one issue. I think they threw out the very best moment of the entire show. The most dramatic, and awe inspiring moment of the entire presentation was the
moment when Abe stood. Even the week before it closed that still envoked a "oooh" from the people in the audience. The fact that he was standing from the start really lessened the
"Great Moment" to a so-so moment. The fact that he sits at the end is kind of anti-climatic. <<

I agree. Standing was a very dramatic opening to the show and should have remained intact.

I also felt that the whole speech seemed a bit rushed.

80S ERA
07-26-2001, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
HOWEVER - - Everyone should be ashamed of the sorry exhibit prepared for Walt Disney - founder of a multi-billion dollar corporation - on his centenniary. I've seen better displays in my office and bedroom. If it weren't for the remaining Formal Office (and the okay new film), there would be nothing to see! With all of the cool material available in Archives and Animation Research Library, the best they could do was mounting photos?

See... they DO hate Walt!!!

I see your letter made Al's update....

Your right on the money about their display on Walt!