PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Homeschoolers - 2010 Conference at DLR!

Pages : [1] 2

Escape2Disney
01-27-2010, 10:28 AM
I hope it's okay to post this here. If not, please let me know and I'll delete the post.

The 4th Annual Not Back to School Days Rally and Conference has been scheduled for September 8-11th! There's much more to offer this year, including:

Discounted Park Hopper Tickets
Discounted Group Accommodations
Scavenger Hunts
Y.E.S. Classes
Teen Dance
Talent Show
Performing Arts Classes
Activities For Young Children

If you're interested, please be aware that only registered attendees can take part in any of the offerings, including the discounts on park tickets. Information can be found at http://www.notbacktoschooldays.com.

Thanks!

aznewsboy
01-27-2010, 10:30 AM
We have never had dates that worked out for this event but this "may" be an option this year. Have you done it before? I would love to hear tips for 1st timers.

Escape2Disney
01-27-2010, 10:39 AM
We went last year - it was AMAZING! We have a lot of wonderful memories! My daughter attended 3 YES classes and the teen dance. We both went to the talent show and were just floored by the level of talent presented! We can't wait until September!

It's a lot of fun - hope to see you there!

HobbitFeet
01-27-2010, 09:33 PM
I looked at the site last week; couldn't really tell...anything for kindergarten/1st grade work age kids? Could be an excuse to get us back to DLR before our WDW trip (for which we have given up DLR for a year...but learning work, hey, we gotta go to learning-work/homeschool stuff!). But not if there's nothing for a 6 year old to do.

Escape2Disney
01-27-2010, 09:53 PM
I think it depends on the learning level of the child. Here's a snippet from the FAQ section...

Can my child attend a Y.E.S.® class if they are younger than the age listed?
They are being very understanding of the fact that home educators do not really classify their children into grade levels. They only ask that the parents read the class outline and determine if their child is mature enough to attend the three hour class. In addition, if your child does not meet the height requirements for the rides included in the chosen class, they will not be permitted on the ride, and will have to stand to the side while the rest of the class goes on the ride. The coordinators really put a lot of planning into these classes, so please read the outline. You can find links to the outlines on the Y.E.S.® description page.

Here's a link to the class descriptions:
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/special/YES/teachers?name=TeacherProgramsPage

There's also a lot of planning going into activities for young children. So far, there are scavenger hunts and a talent show. There are also networking opportunities for families during the conference buffets.

The website will be updated as new activities are added.

Hope that helps!

Escape2Disney
01-28-2010, 10:11 AM
...I almost forgot to mention....

If you book by January 31st, you receive 2 free T-Shirts! :-)

Escape2Disney
02-12-2010, 08:01 AM
The Not Back to School Days conference website has been updated to include discount rooms at GCH! REGISTERED PARTICIPANTS can book a standard room at GCH for $209/night!!

http://notbacktoschooldays.com/tickets/hotel.htm

For more information about registering and receiving access to these rooms, please go to http://notbacktoschooldays.com/tickets/packages.htm.

aznewsboy
02-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Can you still get discount tickets even if we homeschool but do not participate in the classes? We are hoping to get a short trip in to DL in Sept & use our Sea World annual pass one more time this year. We had thought we could use the volunteer ticket to get us one day & buy another but we are not having much luck getting the volunteerism set up & done.

I looked up the link but had a hard time figuring out what level I could use if we don't participate in the classes. Any ideas?

mechurchlady
02-12-2010, 09:10 AM
http://notbacktoschooldays.com/faq.htm
They offer hotel and park ticket discounts but only if you have a valid conference ticket. It still might be worth looking into if you want park tickets on top of the room.

To receive the FANTASTIC deals on Park Hopper® Tickets, receive discounts on accommodations, or take part in any of the activities, you must have a valid conference ticket. There are a variety of tickets to choose from. Please visit our Packages Page for more information.

Escape2Disney
02-12-2010, 09:23 AM
That's a good question. Each person who is purchasing a park ticket must be registered. You also need valid registration to reserve a room at the discounted rate. The park tickets provide one or more YES classes for kids 7-17, but you are not required to attend the classes. Whether or not you actually attend the classes, the tickets are quite a bit less expensive than the rack rate.

If you aren't interested in the extras, I'd say the Magic registration would make the most sense for you. If you are thinking about joining us for a buffet or two (GREAT food, by the way), or if you'd like to take part in one of the tours, then the Royale registration would be the best fit.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Can you still get discount tickets even if we homeschool but do not participate in the classes? We are hoping to get a short trip in to DL in Sept & use our Sea World annual pass one more time this year. We had thought we could use the volunteer ticket to get us one day & buy another but we are not having much luck getting the volunteerism set up & done.

I looked up the link but had a hard time figuring out what level I could use if we don't participate in the classes. Any ideas?

aznewsboy
02-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Well, as great as the GC rate sounds we'd probably still stick with the BWPPI. We could stay elsewhere, right?

So, basically I'd like to take advantage of the discounted hopper tickets & not attend any classes. It just wouldn't work for my kids right now & they are picky eaters so I don't see us doing the buffet. Sadly, I just want to use a homeschool perk this trip. My hubby would only want to get in the parks all day since it's a short trip. Maybe if this happened during our week long annual vacation he'd feel differntly.

I don't have any problem proving to anyone that we DO homeschool in any way they might want me to prove it! I could see where a non-homeschooler might want those perks too and not attend classes. I just thought "finally" a homeschool perk that relates to DL-it can't get any better than that!

We are trying to figure out how to get a very quick/inexpensive trip to DL this year as our annual trip will be Jan/Feb 2011. We used to go in the Fall but Halloween is getting more crowded than we like so we thought we'd try Jan or Feb which would mean 1 whole year without DL. We were there in Oct & could not justify another week vacation 3 months later. Well, I could somehow justify it but we wouldn't have money for it!

Escape2Disney
02-12-2010, 09:55 AM
As long as each person Park Hopper ticket is purchased by registered attendees, it'll be okay. For example, if you have 4 in your family, the best value will be the Magic Family registration (it is good for up to 5 people).

As an added benefit, all family registration packets come with a couple of passport (good for activities, character signatures, etc.), homeschool pin trading activities, scavenger hunts, and fun homeschool packets for lessons you can do with your family in the park. You don't have to do any of these things, but they are included if you are interested.

Staying offsite is absolutely fine!

Just so you know, the registration price goes up 4/15/2010, so your best savings will be before this date.

Hope to see you there!

Well, as great as the GC rate sounds we'd probably still stick with the BWPPI. We could stay elsewhere, right?

So, basically I'd like to take advantage of the discounted hopper tickets & not attend any classes. It just wouldn't work for my kids right now & they are picky eaters so I don't see us doing the buffet. Sadly, I just want to use a homeschool perk this trip. My hubby would only want to get in the parks all day since it's a short trip. Maybe if this happened during our week long annual vacation he'd feel differntly.

I don't have any problem proving to anyone that we DO homeschool in any way they might want me to prove it! I could see where a non-homeschooler might want those perks too and not attend classes. I just thought "finally" a homeschool perk that relates to DL-it can't get any better than that!

We are trying to figure out how to get a very quick/inexpensive trip to DL this year as our annual trip will be Jan/Feb 2011. We used to go in the Fall but Halloween is getting more crowded than we like so we thought we'd try Jan or Feb which would mean 1 whole year without DL. We were there in Oct & could not justify another week vacation 3 months later. Well, I could somehow justify it but we wouldn't have money for it!

aznewsboy
02-12-2010, 10:20 AM
As long as each person Park Hopper ticket is purchased by registered attendees, it'll be okay. For example, if you have 4 in your family, the best value will be the Magic Family registration (it is good for up to 5 people).

I looked at the Magic Family one. Is the $149 ($199 after 4/15)per person or for the whole family? Is this good for 9/5 through 9/10 if we chose to stay that many days?

Escape2Disney
02-12-2010, 10:25 AM
That rate is for the whole family (up to 2 adults and 3 children). It is good for the days of the conference - September 8-11th. As long as your trip spans these dates, you can include up to 3 days before and 3 days after.

I looked at the Magic Family one. Is the $149 ($199 after 4/15)per person or for the whole family? Is this good for 9/5 through 9/10 if we chose to stay that many days?

Escape2Disney
02-12-2010, 10:46 AM
That rate is for the whole family (up to 2 adults and 3 children). It is good for the days of the conference - September 8-11th. As long as your trip spans these dates, you can include up to 3 days before and 3 days after.

aznewsboy
02-12-2010, 11:08 AM

So, for $149 for our family could get into DL for 4 days? I guess this just seems too good to be true & that is why I was having such trouble understanding the different charts/packages.

We can certainly plan a trip around 9/8 id that's the case. We'll add Sea World after that.
The scavenger hunt & homeschool packet sound interesting too. I'm sure that would be more appealing to my family. Is the scavenger hunt appropriate for most ages? I'll have a 10 (almost 11) & 7 y/o by then.

aznewsboy
02-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Escape2Disney, I just wanted to say thanks for helping me sort through this. My daughter has just told me SHE would pay for the $149 package if my DH & I pay for the motel & food! How sweet! She's talking her brother into pitching in. That girl will do anything to get to DL. What have we done to our kids? We are addicted....

Escape2Disney
02-12-2010, 11:16 AM
The $149 fee does NOT cover entrance into the park, accommodations, or food. It covers registration for the conference. To purchase the discounted park hopper tickets and/or reserve a room at the discounted rate, you'll need to be registered. The discounted pricing for the park hoppers can be found on the site at http://notbacktoschooldays.com/tickets/park.htm.

Thanks!

Escape2Disney
02-12-2010, 11:18 AM
No problem! I'm happy to help! My daughter is the same way. When we went to the conference last year, she actually raised money doing odd jobs in the neighborhood!

The scavenger hunt will be broken into categories so, I'm sure there'll be plenty for your kids!

aznewsboy
02-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Got it, thanks. Still a savings & if we ever get the volunteerism set up it'll be even better.
My kids each went to count their money. Too funny. They have $172 combined from their "spending" side of the banks. I should make them each but their own AP next January! Except I know they will politely ask each Grandma to pitch in and make it their Christmas present. And, I know both grandmas will do it:) Just need one for me & hubby!

Escape2Disney
02-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Aren't grandparents funny that way??!

I think it's great that they want to contribute. It means so much more to them when they are "invested" in the trip. My daughter is brainstorming now because she wants to do something different this year to contribute. She loves gardening, so I have a feeling it'll be something like selling plant starts to friends and family.

Got it, thanks. Still a savings & if we ever get the volunteerism set up it'll be even better.
My kids each went to count their money. Too funny. They have $172 combined from their "spending" side of the banks. I should make them each but their own AP next January! Except I know they will politely ask each Grandma to pitch in and make it their Christmas present. And, I know both grandmas will do it:) Just need one for me & hubby!

Escape2Disney
03-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Since some of you were showing interest in attending, I wanted to let you know that there are less than 3 weeks to register at the lower rate. On April 15th, the prices will go up.

We're posting new details about the conference all of the time! Be sure to visit http://www.notbacktoschooldays.com

Hope to see you there!

Escape2Disney
04-21-2010, 12:34 PM
I forgot to mention in the last post that we are always looking for volunteers for the conference. Please send me a PM if you're interested in volunteering to offset the cost of the trip.

CADisneyGirl
04-23-2010, 07:21 AM
My daughter was home schooled for 2 years and we never knew about this little perk. We would have loved to come down and take advantage of this and for her to meet other kids who were home schooled. She is no longer in high school but she now does her college all online through another home school program.

aznewsboy
04-23-2010, 10:10 AM
It looks like we won't be going around that time. Probably closer to mid-Sept. We're hoping my hubby is in a training class so we have to work around that now. As I said last year, maybe next year!