PDA

View Full Version : Post-refurb Matterhorn pics

Gemini Cricket
02-17-2003, 10:12 AM
Does anyone have post-refurbishment pictures of the Matterhorn that they could post a link to? I'd love to see what they've changed.

Does Harold have a new cave as was rumored?

Is there less of the mountain now to look at? It seems every time I go back after an extended rehab, there's less and less of the mountain at the base.

Is there "fog" around the crystals now?

What do the scaled down trees look like?

Are the waterfalls running?

Don't make me go down there, I'm broke. :D

:cool: GC

innerSpaceman
02-17-2003, 10:49 AM
Broke, schomke - think of the money you're wasting if you don't use that expensive AP to full advantage.

Pictures won't do any good - cause the Matterhorn looks exactly the same. I would be the first one to criticize the enlargement of the rock work to prevent idiot injury, but truthfully I (yes even I) cannot tell the difference.

If Abominable "Harold" has been relocated on either side, none of the dozen padders who rode yesterday could detect a difference. His eyes now glow with cool, new colors - but that's about it as far as the snowmonster goes.

The lifts are darker cause they seemed to have plugged up some holes that led to the big skyway icecave. Some nice work has been done on the icecaves and they look decidedly bluer, especially with the new night lighting. Just the ice caves, the regular exterior mountain lighting is the same.

The only big change inside is the addition of some ropes that make it look as if there is a climbing expedition lost inside. And of course, there's the chilling "Wells Expedition" sign near some climbing tools in the crystal cavern that pays tribute to what we all now know as the greatest mortal loss to Disney since the demise of Walt.

No fog in the crystal cavern. Snow effects on the lifts working only sporadically so far. Same for the waterfalls, although they seem to be getting that under control.

A grindingly annoying sled-slow has been installed just before the splashdown on the Tomorrowland side, so the much smoother (but slightly less thrilling) Fantasyland side looks to rise in popularity amongst serious Matterhorners.

Despite a five-month closure, they did not refurb the station at all and did not install fast pass.

But I will not give you any details - you must come down and see for yourself.

AVP
02-17-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Pictures won't do any good - cause the Matterhorn looks exactly the same. I would be the first one to criticize the enlargement of the rock work to prevent idiot injury, but truthfully I (yes even I) cannot tell the difference.

Yeah - what he said. Most of the "changes" can only be experienced ON the ride. However, believe me, I *tried* toget photos yesterday. My camera wasn't having any of it. That blasted Mavica did NOT want to be on the Matterhorn, and it refused to take even one decent "interior" shot of Harold, the trees, the crystals, the rockwork, the new railings, or the snow effect.

I'm going to try again later today, and see if I can trick it into thinking we're going on Big Thunder Mountain. It *likes* taking pictures on that ride.

"No, no, that's not SNOW you see - it's platinum dust. Yeah, that's it, they found a vein of platinum..."

AVP

DisneyFan25863
02-17-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by AVP
That blasted Mavica did NOT want to be on the Matterhorn, and it refused to take even one decent "interior" shot of Harold, the trees, the crystals, the rockwork, the new railings, or the snow effect. ..........."No, no, that's not SNOW you see - it's platinum dust. Yeah, that's it, they found a vein of platinum..."

Ummmmmmm...........Never Mind :D

AVP
02-17-2003, 06:01 PM
Gemini Cricket -

Just gotta tell you - I have the greatest sequence of photos from the Matterhorn ride-through. Truly awesome. I'm going to create a mini-photo tour from these, JUST for you. You'll love 'em :~D

AVP

DisneyFan25863
02-17-2003, 06:03 PM
Ohhhh, When will they be posted?

AVP
02-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Ok, here it is - My Mavica Meets Matterhorn Mountain (http://home.attbi.com/~aphoenix/mrt021703.htm)

(I did tell you that my camera *hates* that ride, right?)

AVP

MammaSilva
02-17-2003, 08:19 PM
Oh man... April can't get here soon enough :)

Matterhorn Fan
02-18-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by AVP
Ok, here it is - My Mavica Meets Matterhorn Mountain (http://home.attbi.com/~aphoenix/mrt021703.htm) Thanks Adrienne! Blurry Matterhorn pictures are better than no Matterhorn pics! :)

cemeinke
02-18-2003, 07:56 AM
In the interest of creating more of a virtual experience of the Matterhorn click on this link (http://www.linkline.com/personal/cemeinke/img/Matterhorn%20at%20Night_0001.wmv) to catch a couple glances of Harrold during a night-time run. It's a wmv file, so you may need some extra software to view it.