PDA

View Full Version : ETA on Captain EO

kiki
01-21-2010, 03:07 PM
I know the last post was closed down due to off topic remarks but I really wanted to know if any new info has been released on the exact date that EO will open and how long will it it last? Please stay on topic because I am trying to plan a trip with out of town family and would love an answer.

BlkPearlCptn
01-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Micechat posted two dates. Originally, Jan 29th, and then the latest has been Feb 14th. One poster said it would be there through April, but nothing is confirmed on how long. I'm also planning a trip around Captain EO...so I'm hoping it's up by Feb 21st.

wwomant
01-21-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm certainly no expert on these things, but I can't see it staying just 2 months. Changing films involves some amount of work and money. I can't see Disney going through all the trouble just to leave it up for 2 months, and not even for the summer. And once they pull it, do they really plan on putting HISTA back in there? I just can't see it. It seems like they'd gauge reaction to EO, and assuming crowds reactions are positive, run it a good while, maybe even until they have something else ready to replace it, which I would think would be at least a year. I would think they'd run it at least through summer.

Mermaid
01-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Jan 29th would be sweet- that is when we are there! But I wasn't expecting it to be open so it would be okay if it were later. I agree- I think they will run it at least a year.

Darkbeer
01-21-2010, 04:11 PM
I agree with the length of the showing, it will remain until the crowds die down, which could be even over a year.

Disney will be promoting it as the main new thing once it opens until World of Color opens, when it will get the advertising push. So the April date is more for the media campaign instead of a closing date.

There are rumors of rain issues the last few days with the roof that was installed to cover the Magic Eye Theater. It is an add on, and not designed as well as the rest of the Space Mountain upper queue area. In fact, Disney doesn't allow guests to walk on the roof, as it isn't as strong as the main decking on the outer ring.

Disney would love to have it open for the Presidents Day weekend (February 12th), but they haven't announced a date yet, as they aren't sure if they can make that deadline. As always, time will tell.

mechurchlady
01-21-2010, 07:32 PM
I think a year run is in order so that they can get the summer crowds into the theater while selling Captain Eo merchandise. With the heavy rains recently the opening could be delayed until March. CMs have posted online how the theater leaked in the handicapped area. I have heard about the leaking roof from several CMs online and one in person.

HISTA has no marketing value at all. Michael Jackson has many fans and the movie should also be a big hit with crowds. How often do we get old shoes and rides to return? Mr. Lincoln and Captain Eo are probably the only two defunct rides or attractions to return.

daveywest
01-22-2010, 02:45 PM
I agree with the length of the showing, it will remain until the crowds die down, which could be even over a year.

Of course you could always go by how long the last movie stayed there.

(On a side note, I always felt sorry for the cast members who got stuck doing HISTA duty. Always seemed to me that was the armpit of cast member jobs: try to get crowds in a show that's no longer relevant. Even janitorial staff seemed to have a better job.)

wwomant
01-23-2010, 09:41 AM
I think as long as HISTA is the only film alternative, EO has a good chance of running a while. If EO showed for even 2 years I bet it would still have a better draw than HISTA.

Hopefully they have something new in the works to go in there after EO's run.

angcould
01-25-2010, 07:10 AM
Well I am hoping for at least a year we will be be down there this summer and are hoping to be able to see it, I can't believe 2 months is all the running it will get, with the summer crowds this summer it would be foolish
to pull it before then....

Alot of refurbishment to do for just 2 months.... just my thoughts...

Angie

CMHusband
01-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Jan 29th would be sweet- that is when we are there! But I wasn't expecting it to be open so it would be okay if it were later. I agree- I think they will run it at least a year.

I guess that didn't happen. :eek:

misdisney
01-29-2010, 10:15 PM
So glad there bringing this back. My daughter really likes MJ. with the release of the movie it will bring a whole new group to enjoy his music. Hope its still there when were there in Nov.