PDA

View Full Version : I was bummed by my friend's experience at the Grand Californian

Pages : [1] 2 3

Merih
01-21-2010, 09:18 AM
We have friends who just moved here from Australia. They have three children. We suggested that they take them to Disneyland and that they stay at the Grand Californian because we've enjoyed it--the room, the service, the proximity to the parks, and just the general feel of the hotel.

I'm not sure which room they had, but they paid $1000 a night for it. They stayed for five nights, so it was definitely not your standard room farthest from the entrance and views. On their first night they called and requested some kind of facility for heating their baby's bottle. They were told to use shampoo or hand soap. They requested something for getting water hot enough to warm their baby's bottle. Again, they were told that the hotel did not provide for that.

I know that the hotel can't possibly stock every single item people may need on their trips. But this is a family oriented establishment. Surely people visit with babies on a regular basis and may need to warm bottles.

We told them that they should write a letter. After spending $5000 on a room, it seems that the hotel could have offered SOMETHING.

I'm curious what everyone else thinks about this matter.

adriennek
01-21-2010, 11:03 AM
I know that the hotel can't possibly stock every single item people may need on their trips. But this is a family oriented establishment. Surely people visit with babies on a regular basis and may need to warm bottles.

We told them that they should write a letter. After spending $5000 on a room, it seems that the hotel could have offered SOMETHING.

I'm curious what everyone else thinks about this matter.

What did they expect the hotel to provide for them?

For a $1000 a night room, did they not have a microwave in the room? They could have warmed up some water in the microwave and then warmed the bottle in the water. That might've required a bowl from a restaurant? When I travelled with infants who needed bottles, I came prepared with what I needed or I was able to narrow down my need to a specific request. In my case, I'd ask for a bowl and a teapot of hot water.

I don't really know what they expected the hotel to provide so I'm not sure the hotel is at fault here because how would they know what they needed?

If they had called downstairs and said "Could we get a microwave and a bowl to our room, please?" and GCH didn't deliver - or if they requested a hotpot of water from room service and GCH said "We can't do that," - I'd be annoyed on their behalf. But I wouldn't expect a front desk of a hotel to be able to solve all of my "problems" for me. I would expect to need to articulate my specific need.

Adrienne

cstephens
01-21-2010, 11:14 AM
On their first night they called and requested some kind of facility for heating their baby's bottle. They were told to use shampoo or hand soap.

OK, I'm not understanding how shampoo or hand soap would heat a baby's bottle, so I'm guessing that is some kind of typo.

Most people I know with kids and needs bring their own supplies. Being from out of the country, I can understand maybe not wanting to carry all that, but that's also the risk you take. When I've been with people who needed to warm bottles, we used a pot of hot water, or, even running the hot water in the sink and putting the bottle under it. Or, the Grand Californian rooms come with ice buckets. Fill it with hot water from the tap instead and dip the bottle in until warm.

I really don't get what the complaint would be filed for. The hotel shouldn't be expected to fulfill every need possible from every person, especially if they don't come prepared themselves.

Another Dimension
01-21-2010, 11:27 AM
...and just because Disney happened to charge $1000 a night for that room... at that time, doesn't mean Disney ever had any plans to provide the Guests in that room with a full slate of $1000-a-night amenities, services, appliances & magic.
:|

It's a nice hotel yes...
But it's a Disney hotel...and at (most) times no matter what the offerings and/or services... Disney overcharges... no matter what you eventually get... or how long those wonderfully magical memories last!
:cool:

Boo's Mommy
01-21-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm really curious because the rooms in GCH come with small coffee makers, i've heated bottles and food in those when my kids were little.

I wonder if they were in the new section to be that far from the entrance? But on our last visit (about a week before they opened the new section up), dd and I had a chance to walk around and visit many of the rooms both regular hotel rooms and dvc rooms/suites (out of curiousity sake and boy where they awesome) and those too had coffee makers!

mswong40
01-21-2010, 11:42 AM
If they had called downstairs and said "Could we get a microwave and a bowl to our room, please?" and GCH didn't deliver - or if they requested a hotpot of water from room service and GCH said "We can't do that," - I'd be annoyed on their behalf. But I wouldn't expect a front desk of a hotel to be able to solve all of my "problems" for me. I would expect to need to articulate my specific need.

Adrienne

I dont really understand the posting, because I dont understand why soap and etc. were mentioned.

But like Adrienne, I also go very prepared to places with my baby. And I guess I dont understand what they were asking for.....did they think they needed a bottle warmer and the hotel would have one?

And also I wonder why they just didnt ask for a pot with boiling water?

disney4iv
01-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Whenever I needed to heat up bottles, I always filled up a sink with warm/hot water and let the bottle sit until it reached the desired temp. What was it that they were hoping the hotel to provide? I haven't heard of any hotels that have bottle warmers. That seems to me like it would be an item you would need to bring if you wanted it.

Merih
01-21-2010, 11:45 AM
They asked for some dish soap that could be used to wash the cups and bottles that they have brought with them. They were told to use Shampoo.

woody9six
01-21-2010, 11:51 AM
How hot did they need the bottle? My wife and I magaged to feed two infants with nothing warmer than what could be acheived by applying hot tap water.

I agree with others, that if this was something that was important for the family, then they needed to make sure they had whatever they needed prior to their trip by either supplying it themselves or making sure it was addressed ahead of time.

And was there really no microwave in a $1000 dollar a night room? I never really used if for heating formula for fear of getting whatever was in the bottle too hot...but I am surprised that a microwave would be standard issue is a room with that price point.

mswong40
01-21-2010, 11:52 AM
They asked for some dish soap that could be used to wash the cups and bottles that they have brought with them. They were told to use Shampoo.

Oh I see......I thought you were referring to a bottle warmer for the bottles.

I think there is some soap in the shop downstairs....also I dont think they tend to provide soap at any hotel.

Merih
01-21-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm sorry-- I need to clarify. I am not saying anything bad about the hotel--we are staying there is weekend and love it.

Perhaps part of the problem is that they had expect something different being from another place. They did end up using the coffee pot to heat water that they could put into a cup that they placed the bottle into. I guess they were just a bit put off by the suggestion that they used shampoo--and were not told that they could purchase the soap downstairs in the shop.

disney4iv
01-21-2010, 12:03 PM
I think there is some soap in the shop downstairs....also I dont think they tend to provide soap at any hotel.

If there is a full kitchen, they typically have dish soap. I know the Staybridge has it in the cupboard.

mswong40
01-21-2010, 12:15 PM
If there is a full kitchen, they typically have dish soap. I know the Staybridge has it in the cupboard.

Right I was referring to a room that did not have a full kitchen, the mention of a kitchen was not said, and then the issue is both a bottle warmer and the washing of the bottles....both which are not clearly referenced in the post.

I only indicated the area where they could get some soap because I dont think it would be the hotels obligation to supply everything for a guest. Sometimes you have to think about what are your personal needs vs those of others.

Malcon10t
01-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Again, why I like Residence Inn. Dish soap is supplied in the kitchen, dishwashing soap for the machine, fridge (full size), stove, microwave (regular size, not mini) and almost everything a kitchen needs.

I am thinking for the $1000, she probably had the one bedroom suite. I would have gone for just 2 rooms connecting.

CariBelle
01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Did they expect the hotel to send someone up and warm the bottle for them? Because as parents I would think this is something they could figure out on their own. And as far as dish soap...it's a hotel room. Most of them (minus the obvious ones with kitchens) aren't equipped for dish washing so why on earth would the front desk supply them with dish soap?
So no, I don't think they should complain.

danyoung
01-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Sorry, but I'm with most people here - no matter what you pay for a room, you can't expect a hotel to provide every possible thing you might want on a moment's notice. Something specific like equipment to heat a baby's bottle is something that they should have brought with them. And there's nothing wrong with using soap or shampoo to wash a glass, as long as you rinse it thoroughly. But still, after all that, a THOUSAND DOLLARS A NIGHT? Hard for me to even imagine!

disney4iv
01-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Right I was referring to a room that did not have a full kitchen, the mention of a kitchen was not said, and then the issue is both a bottle warmer and the washing of the bottles....both which are not clearly referenced in the post.

Exactly! Which my next question would be. Was it a room with a full kitchen? If not, then I would not think that dish soap would be on hand.

Toocherie
01-21-2010, 02:25 PM
The DVC villas have dish soap as a standard amenity and sinks for dishes. They also have microwaves (and even the 1-bedroom and up villas have full kitchens). Otherwise, the GCH rooms do not have microwaves and dish sinks.

For $1,000 a night I would hope that they were on concierge level. The concierge lounge I believe has a microwave (honestly--don't remember).

Drince88
01-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Are the DVC side of things at the GC kept THAT segregated from the non-DVC that housekeeping wouldn't be able to get them some dish soap that they'd use on the DVC side? Maybe the issue was calling the front desk and not housekeeping?

I wouldn't expect a hotel to provide dish soap to a regular room - but since they do for the DVC side, seems like a small thing to provide here!

(And don't the studios on the DVC side have microwaves, too? I know the Studio I stayed in at Boardwalk Villas did - just not the rest of the full kitchen stuff.)

The Mouse Is Back
01-21-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure if anyone intended it this way, but a lot of the replies in this thread seem downright hostile.

The OP didn't come out swinging.

And frankly, the only thing I felt when reading this is additional outrage (or at least disgust) at Disney's over-the-top corporate "screw you, the consumer, now give us your money" attitude, clearly transmitted in the lack of pretty much ANY amenities in a $1,000.00/night room. A microwave (if there was not one) is not an unreasonable expectation. The reactions are like this family was expecting solid gold toilets. They wanted to warm up a bottle!

Yeah, yeah, I get it, they should have read up on, or asked about, or whatever, what exactly was included in their overpriced lodging, but still...it doesn't sound like the front desk was exactly trying to be as helpful as possible.

Anyway, carry on.

Ally

orchid2
01-21-2010, 06:32 PM
With Children you need to bring what every you need or ask before booking if they have what you need for your child. I don't think this is Disney's fault I just feel sorry for the family that travels from out of the country and unable to get a LITTLE help once here. I would of thought of going down to Storytellers and seeing if they could warm a few bottles up for the evening. Anyway you look at it it's sad this happened. The cost of the room shouldn't make a difference of how your treated,if your in a 100.00 or a 1000.00 a night, you should be treated all the same way. I'm happy to hear that they had a good time.. traveling with children and adults can be hard..

cstephens
01-21-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm not sure if anyone intended it this way, but a lot of the replies in this thread seem downright hostile.

Well, I guess if you want to read them that way, then yeah, I can see it.

I just don't get the "they paid $5,000 and there was nothing to warm the bottle up with" when something as simple as hot water running from the tap would have solved the problem.

The Mouse Is Back
01-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Well, I guess if you want to read them that way, then yeah, I can see it.

I just don't get the "they paid $5,000 and there was nothing to warm the bottle up with" when something as simple as hot water running from the tap would have solved the problem.

Okay, not hostile, but "scold-y" (as my daughter used to say). Kind of with a wag of the finger behind it.

Yes, running tap water works, but if the bottle is ice cold from a cooler/fridge (although I doubt a mini-fridge was in the room if a micro wasn't), and the parents are dead tired from traveling, walking around the Parks, or the baby was screaming in the middle of the night...I know I still remember trying to navigate bleary-eyed like that. And that was in my own home, not a hotel room.

The front desk could have been more helpful. Like making the suggestion made by in this thread, that they ask one of the dining locations, or better yet, making the call FOR the guests paying the premium rate. (Customer service, anyone else remember that? I was just reminiscing with my neighbors Fred and Wilma about it the other day.)

Ally

woody9six
01-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Okay, not hostile, but "scold-y" (as my daughter used to say). Kind of with a wag of the finger behind it.

Yes, running tap water works, but if the bottle is ice cold from a cooler/fridge (although I doubt a mini-fridge was in the room if a micro wasn't), and the parents are dead tired from traveling, walking around the Parks, or the baby was screaming in the middle of the night...I know I still remember trying to navigate bleary-eyed like that. And that was in my own home, not a hotel room.

The front desk could have been more helpful. Like making the suggestion made by in this thread, that they ask one of the dining locations, or better yet, making the call FOR the guests paying the premium rate. (Customer service, anyone else remember that? I was just reminiscing with my neighbors Fred and Wilma about it the other day.)

Ally
I don't see many people being hostile or "scold-y". She asked people's opinion and those opinions were given. But mostly I think people feel somewhat confused about what the guests were asking for specifically (aside from the dish soap of course), but even then if they don't have it they don't have it.

With my little ones, it took me about 5 minutes to get frozen breast milk ready to consume..even at 3 in the morning. So perhaps I am applying too much of my own experience to the situation and not seeing what exactly Disney didn't do that would warrant a letter of complaint. And if there was something that was essential for me to make sure that I could feed my child, I would make sure that was taken care long before I boarded the plane, much less checked into the hotel.

Darkbeer
01-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Hotels/Motels have different ratings based on costs and "stars". One expects MORE from a 4 star than a 2 star.

Alas, the more I read reviews of the Disney owned Hotels in Anaheim, they are offering 2 star service at a 4+ star price. No wonder some folks are seriously upset about how they are treated....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g29092-d208755-r53897279-Disney_s_Grand_Californian_Hotel-Anaheim_California.html

We just stayed here, for 4 nights. What a disappointment! We were repeatedly told by acquaintances "you have to stay at the Grand Californian ("GC") if you go to Disneyland ("DL"). Fine, so we splash out almost $600 per night for a peak season ordinary room. Now when I pay $600 a night, I expect the best - Wynn style. Not here. Disney's message: "Hi, I know we have you over a barrel: we are going to take your money and give you a crappy value back."

We arrived at the Grand Californian at check-in time only to be told that they did not have our room ready. We sat in the lobby for 4 hours waiting for our room. Once we were given a room, we discovered that it had only been partially cleaned. It was missing towels and soap and the previous occupant's clothes were hanging in the closet.

My polite request to remedy these problems resulted in us being visited by a very angry maid who treated my wife with hostility. Then, for some inexplicable reason, a different maid entered our room without knocking at 9:30 PM after we had all gone to bed.

The hotel is nice but the service seems to reflect Disneyland's overall attitude towards its guests - we were treated like cattle with money. Our relatives stayed at the Super 8 across the street and had a great experience for a third of the price. I recommend trying them first.

We ordered room service at around 9 PM on a Thursday night and we were literally on hold for 30 minutes (watched TV while we waited for call to go through). When the food finally arrived, they had forgotten the dressing for a salad we had ordered. The alarm clock radio in the room did not work, and there were no Bath Robes in the room as there should have been. We called housekeeping for 2 robes, and it took another 2 phone calls and about 90 minutes before they finally came.

Heck, if I was visiting and wanted a TRUE 4 star hotel, I would stay at the Hyatt in Huntington Beach, current average price (based on TripAdvisor) is less than $300 a night, and is a TRUE Resort hotel.