PDA

View Full Version : Jewel of Orleans (aka Dianne's) to close as of April 4th, 2010 [New closing date]

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
01-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Sigh, one more UNIQUE location is closing in the park....

Our Dear friends,

We want to extend our thanks for all you both have done to help us
over the years. It is with deep sadness that we must tell you that
we are closing our Disneyland location. We plan to close The "Jewel Of
Orleans" on April 15th. Due to this tough economic time we have no
choice but to focus on our two Northern California stores. We will
continue to offer sales and special deals on our company website. We
also encourage you to check us out on facebook. And please keep in
mind that our Home store in San Francisco is not far from the new
"Disney" museum!

Please feel free to call us or stop in if you have any questions.

http://www.diannesestatejewelry.com/

mechurchlady
01-21-2010, 02:00 AM
That is so sad and I will miss the store. I took Mom in there once recently but with her have not had a chance to go there as much as I used to. Thanks for the update.

The Mouse Is Back
01-21-2010, 04:06 AM
Please don't let this herald yet another Princess/plush/doodad-infested merchandi$e location. Blech.

Oh, for the days of the candle shop on Main Street, and the heraldry shop in the entrance of the castle...seriously.

Ally

olegc
01-21-2010, 07:24 AM
it;s unfortunate. while i never bought stuff there - I have always toyed with the idea of bringing my wife and letting her pick something. it was always a great way to take a diversion from the push/pull of a busy park.

if you ask me - they are probably going to flood the place with Princess and the Frog merch and make it it's own store... and they will make a lot of money. Look how many people have posted about missing the tiana show or the characters... money talks I guess..

mechurchlady
01-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Look at how long the ornament shop was closed. AT least there is now a shop there with people working. It would be nice to have a shop with stuff themed to New Orleans or even a nice specialty shop but for now my concern is that it will be another closed shop.

EmmasMom
01-21-2010, 11:03 AM
I still miss the One-of-a-kind Shop that used to be on NOS. That was my favorite place to browse and buy. I miss all the unique shops and merchandise.

The old man
01-21-2010, 01:18 PM
At least it opens up a spot for the same merchandise that can be found it most other stores in the park. The should at least name it, "The One Out of Many Shop."

SoCalSteven
01-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Just saw the news myself. Very, very sad. My fiance's engagement ring was bought from there and my wedding ring is on layaway there. We are going to miss them terribly! :(

tamagaal
01-21-2010, 11:21 PM
This truly makes me want to cry. My favorite 'Disneyland' staple. Just really, really...really sad. :crying:

olegc
01-22-2010, 07:09 AM
"it;s unfortunate. while i never bought stuff there "
Well, Duh; could be that's why they are closing? You and others not buying stuff. My wife and I have bought quite a few things there over the years. And at the Perfume shop prior.

i don't buy stuff in every shop in the park. However, I do go into every store in the park to look around - and THAT gives it the sense of uniqueness and theme that the Park historically was supposed to have. Sorry to have ruined your expectations. I must not be as much of a patron as you.

The old man
01-22-2010, 10:18 AM
"it;s unfortunate. while i never bought stuff there "
Well, Duh; could be that's why they are closing? You and others not buying stuff. My wife and I have bought quite a few things there over the years. And at the Perfume shop prior.
In the early days I don't think every shop was expected to make money. Some where there just for the ambience. It's part of what makes Disneyland Disneyland.

SoCalSteven
01-22-2010, 07:00 PM
In the early days I don't think every shop was expected to make money. Some where there just for the ambience. It's part of what makes Disneyland Disneyland.

FYI, Jewel of Orleans is not run by Disney. It is one of the only (if not the only) shop still in Disneyland not owned by Disney.

Obviously, not everyone can afford to buy the things that are in Jewel of Orleans. We have only been able to using their generous layaway plan. This is a big time bummer for clients and window shoppers alike.

VickiC
01-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Yeah, it seems like making money would be a pretty big consideration for an independent retailer.

AVP
01-23-2010, 05:18 PM
FYI, Jewel of Orleans is not run by Disney. It is one of the only (if not the only) shop still in Disneyland not owned by Disney. The three Arribas Bros. outlets are not owned by Disney, nor is the parasol cart, the portrait artists, or the (possibly closed again, it's been a while since I checked) art place in Fantasyland.

Malcon10t
01-23-2010, 06:52 PM
The three Arribas Bros. outlets are not owned by Disney, I've gotten addicted to the Crystal Arts shops! MDM got the Belle necklace for Christmas!

SoCalSteven
01-24-2010, 09:59 PM
The three Arribas Bros. outlets are not owned by Disney, nor is the parasol cart, the portrait artists, or the (possibly closed again, it's been a while since I checked) art place in Fantasyland.

Ok, wasn't sure. Thanks for the info.

Darkbeer
01-25-2010, 06:05 AM
Also the Main Street Magic Shop is now an independent location, run by Houdini's Magic.

AVP
02-25-2010, 01:04 PM
The staff at Dianne's have been notified that the revised closing date for the store is now Easter Sunday, April 4th. After the store cloese, Dianne's will hold an invitation-only trunk show April 17th for their existing clients somewhere in Southern California - if you're on their client list, look for a notice in the mail.

The owners say this was an extremely difficult decision for them to make, but they are looking forward to feature events. They also said it's business as usual in the Northern California stores and on the Web site.

AVP

SoCalSteven
02-25-2010, 02:07 PM
I just saw the same info via FB. Where is the "Dislike" button when you need it?

Shame the trunk show is on April 17th! That is the day I'm getting married! :(

Oh well, next time!

HorizonsA
03-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Please don't let this herald yet another Princess/plush/doodad-infested merchandi$e location. Blech.

Oh, for the days of the heraldry shop in the entrance of the castle...seriously.

Ally

Um, Castle Heraldry is still open in Fantasyland. And the Jewel of Orleans will not be turned into a Princess & The Frog merchandise store...(I work in New Orleans regularly) If people will remember, just recently we already had a Princess & The Frog store in the former L'Ornament Magique store, renamed La Bayou Magique. People don't really know that that particular store is a seasonal store. La Bayou Magique was a test store, to see if the merchandise from the movie would sell, but like with the Jewel of Orleans, Guests came in, but didn't buy anything So, they decided to close the store. (so basically it's all your guy's fault). The good news is that Disney may inherit the Jewel of Orleans and may turn it into a hat writing store which would be nice. The fate of La Bayou Magique is still unknown at this time.

HorizonsA
03-01-2010, 08:55 PM
FYI, Jewel of Orleans is not run by Disney. It is one of the only (if not the only) shop still in Disneyland not owned by Disney.

There are actually several "Lessee" stores in Disneyland.

Castle Heraldry (Fantasyland)
Fairytale Art Shoppe (Fantasyland)-Face-painting-Across from the Matterhorn
Crystal Arts (Main Street, USA) Located next to the China Closet
Main Street Magic Shop (Main Street, USA) recently taken over by Houdini
Cristal d'Orleans (New Orleans Square)
Jewel of Orleans
Rubio Arts Parasol Cart (New Orleans Square) Between Cafe Orleans and the French Market
Rubio Arts Portrait Artists (New Orleans Square) Just outside La Masquerade d'Orleans

Do you homework people!

cstephens
03-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Do you homework people!

Posting the correct information was very helpful of you, but there's really no reason to be snippy about it. AVP already posted some info, but not everyone knows that Disneyland has stores leased out to third parties.

orchid2
03-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Do you remember the Perfume that use to be in that building, love that shop... I use to for years purchase many if not all Christmas presents from inside Disneyland, now a days there's just not the good old stuff in there to purchase and each land seems to have the same stuff... very sad .... and yes I agree with CStephens no need to be snippy! It's not just the people not purchasing enough I'm sure part of it is the cost of renting/leasing that room.... sorry to see you go, I always enjoyed your room and purchase several lovely pieces from you...

SoCalSteven
03-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Posting the correct information was very helpful of you, but there's really no reason to be snippy about it. AVP already posted some info, but not everyone knows that Disneyland has stores leased out to third parties.

Seriously...while I was wrong in regards to "the only" part of my statement (which was indicated with reservations already) I would say that to say Jewel of Orleans is "one of the only" non-Disney owned shops is correct. There are only a handful of other shops in a similar leasing arrangement as you indicated.

Besides, the point of that post was to point out to another person that was unaware of the fact that Jewel of Orleans was run by an outside company, not to start an argument.

cstephens
03-03-2010, 04:10 PM
This is how real people talk in the real world and nothing mean or "snippy" is meant by it.

Maybe in your real world, but not mine. If it's someone I can't avoid, then I just deal with it. But given regular conversation and discussion, I don't appreciate when someone talks down to me or someone else like that when it's completely unnecessary.

Back on topic - I get to pick up a layaway piece on Friday, so I'll get to say hi to them then. I also expect to be one of the many people dropping by to say goodbye to them on April 4.