PDA

View Full Version : ‘The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh’ and ‘Playhouse Disney – Live On Stage!’

Darkbeer
02-16-2003, 10:28 AM
Disneyland Resort Press Release

‘THE MANY ADVENTURES OF WINNIE THE POOH’ AND ‘PLAYHOUSE DISNEY – LIVE ON STAGE!’ OPEN APRIL 11th AT DISNEYLAND® RESORT

ANAHEIM, CA, February 13, 2003 – The DISNEYLAND Resort will unveil a whole new world of entertainment this spring with two new attractions opening on Friday, April 11 – “The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh” at DISNEYLAND and “Playhouse Disney – Live on Stage!” at DISNEY’S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE™. “We are so excited to showcase our newest attractions, ‘The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh’ and ‘Playhouse Disney – Live on Stage!,’” said Cynthia Harriss, President of the DISNEYLAND Resort. “Both attractions are fun-filled experiences that only Disney can deliver, and enhance our offerings for families with small children resort wide,” Harriss added.

‘The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh’ at DISNEYLAND

America’s most beloved bear, Winnie the Pooh, and his friends from the Hundred-Acre Wood – Tigger, Eeyore, and Piglet too – are bouncing with anticipation as “The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh” attraction comes to DISNEYLAND. This attraction, a featured “Disney’s FASTPASS®” attraction in Critter Country, is based on the loveable characters from the Disney animated version of A.A. Milne’s classic children’s stories.

An exciting romp for guests of all ages, “The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh” combines memorable music, surprising illusions and fun for the whole family in a heartwarming journey through the Hundred-Acre Wood on an endless pursuit of hunny.

The adventure begins as guests hop aboard “hunny bee-hives” and travel through a blustery day. Whirling winds then bring rain to the Wood and create a floody place. To escape the storm, Tigger bounces in and leads everyone to Pooh’s house to wait out the rain. Becoming tired from all the hurrying about, Pooh drifts off to sleep where he is greeted by a dream chock-full of the dreaded honey stealing Heffalumps and Woozles. Pooh then begins to dream of Hunny Heaven, a glorious place piled high with delicious hunny. As he awakens, Pooh is greeted by his friends who have come to wish him a happy birthday.

‘Playhouse Disney – Live on Stage!’ at DISNEY’S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE

Young fans of Disney Channel’s popular “Playhouse Disney” programs will be jumping for joy and dancing the Cha-Cha-Cha along with their television buddies as they star in a new stage show – “Playhouse Disney - Live on Stage!” – premiering in April at DISNEY'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE. Jim Henson’s “Bear in the Big Blue House™,” William Joyce’s “Rolie Polie Olie,” “Stanley” and other stars will entertain and amuse kids and their families with music, songs and stories of friendship.

The stars are characters from Disney Channel’s “Playhouse Disney” programming block, which features Disney-quality entertainment that delights and encourages kids to learn through fun, imaginative and creative play:

“Rolie Polie Olie” – This Emmy award-winning series from William Joyce chronicles the touching and sometimes hilarious world of Olie, a six-year-old robot boy who lives with his family in a magical, all-robot world.
“Stanley” – The newest original series on the “Playhouse Disney” block, Stanley takes guests into the life of a very curious little boy with a passion for facts, who searches the animal world for clues about how things work.
Jim Henson’s “Bear in the Big Blue House” – Bear, the seven-foot-tall, lovable, friendly and understanding host invites the audience into his Big Blue House every day to play, learn, sing and dance with his friends in this Emmy- and Parents Choice Award-winning television series.

The 20-minute stage show will open with a visit from Bear of “Bear in the Big Blue House,” and his friends. Bear, who dances the Cha-Cha-Cha, wants to dance with all his friends. Jamie, the show’s host, will read from a giant storybook, with chapters featuring characters from the “Playhouse Disney” learning-based series – each teaching the importance of friendship. There will be an interactive area for kids, from bubbles to streamers, to singing and dancing along with their television pals. Hundreds of guests per show will be entertained by a skillful combination of live performers and puppetry, and performances will be presented several times daily in the park’s Hollywood Pictures Backlot.

The show will add to a growing lineup of kid-oriented entertainment at the park, which recently premiered the amazing “Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular” stage show and "a bug's land" with new attractions inspired by Disney/Pixar’s animated film A Bug’s Life.

tiggerandtink
02-16-2003, 11:42 AM
Ok, before anyone else posts against these shows I want to say "yea!".
I know that I'm a grown man and shouldn't be sitting around the house in my underwear drinking coffee and watching Playhouse Disney, so let's pretend that I don't. However, those are really cute shows. I especially like Bear in a Big Blue House. I think that's great that they are bringing these shows to the park. Hopefully they will live up to the hype.

EandCDad
02-16-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by tiggerandtink
I know that I'm a grown man and shouldn't be sitting around the house in my underwear drinking coffee and watching Playhouse Disney, so let's pretend that I don't. However, those are really cute shows. I especially like Bear in a Big Blue House. I think that's great that they are bringing these shows to the park. Hopefully they will live up to the hype.

Preach it brother. I mean I always wear pants when watching Playhouse Disney, but other than that, I'm with you.

For me, I can't get too excited about either of these things, but they will make my girls, very, very, very excited and that makes me happy. So whooo hooo!

Aussie Mike
02-16-2003, 12:43 PM
Thats good with the starting date ! we arrive April 12, I'm sure my kids and neice will look forward to it.

MonorailMan
02-16-2003, 12:58 PM
Meh.

I'll be excited when TOT opens. :D

LifelongAngelsFan
02-16-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by tiggerandtink

Bear and Rollie Ollie Pollie are both wonderful shows...no wonder they both won Emmys. I enjoy wathcing these shows with my kids. I'm confident that this show will fun for guests of all ages.

I applaud Disney for adding another DCA attraction aimed at children. As the press release states, they are adding ever more of these addressing one the most complaints about the DCA park (and, begins to undo the damage of Pressler's "adult-only" concept).

blusilva
02-16-2003, 02:56 PM
I love Bear in the Big Blue House. I think it's hysterical. :) Although I already miss Soap Opera Bistro, I'm looking forward to seeing what Playhouse Disney has to offer.

MammaSilva
02-16-2003, 05:57 PM
I can't wait to take Brandy, she loves Bear...cha cha cha....

AlanaP
02-18-2003, 06:13 AM
alrighty then.. what I want, nay , NEED to know is this.
on the Disney channel, they are having a contest to win a trip to DCA on April 11 for the Grand Opening..the Wiggles are supposed to be there that day as well. If ANYONE finds out about getting in to this event I NEED to know..we love the Wiggles SO much at our house, that I would be willing to satnd for hours to get in and see them in such an intimate setting.

MonorailMan
02-18-2003, 06:36 AM
David's artical said:
I heard from a good source a story regarding the new Pooh ride. It seems someone sneaked in the ride somehow and was photographing the interior.

Come on fess up, I'm sure they pppoped your bubble when they caught you, and how was it seeing the Innerspace of the ride? :~D :D :p

(You Know I'm Just Kidding!) ;)

jrad32
02-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Is this pooh ride the same as what's in Orlando, or is it like the Hunny Hunt ride in Japan? From what I read the Hunny Hunt ride is far and away superior. Does anyone know what makes it so much better?

hbquikcomjamesl
02-18-2003, 12:29 PM
Well, I don't know anything about Tokyo's version, but I rather liked the Florida version of Pooh, and I understand that any deficiencies in it came, along with its rather low capacity, from its being built on the old Mr. Toad track. Our Pooh vehicles are somewhat larger, and shaped like beehives, instead of honey pots. At least some of them were being built at WDW Central Shops last November; I saw them on the BSM tour.

As to Playhouse Disney, I suppose having more kid-friendly attractions in DCA is a big improvement, but SOB was still the wrong thing to take out, as it was really the only mid-priced comfort-food restaurant in the whole park Better to lose some of the fast food, or the utterly awful "Hollywood and Dine," or better yet, lose some of the retail that the park is (thanks to Pressler) hip-deep in.

tazart
02-18-2003, 03:07 PM
I'm just glad they didn't rip out Mr. Toad to put this in. It's sad that Country Bears had to go but. . . progress, progress, progress. My wife LOVES Tigger anyway. I just hope I can keep that infection from my child. ;)

Darkbeer
02-27-2003, 12:32 AM
If you have never seen the Tokyo version of Pooh, you NEED to check out this link!

Barry Bedford has lots of great videos, from both Paris and Tokyo.

http://www.barrybedford.com/

Once you get to the main page, click on the right logo (Tokyo)

Pooh's Hunny Hunt should be the first listed attraction on the new page.

And beware, you could spend a lot of time at this site, he has lots of great video for Disney lovers!

stinkyface
02-27-2003, 05:58 AM
just to clarify, the wdw pooh ride does not use mr toads track. it is in the same building but at least some of the track is different (since mr toad used two mirror image tracks for two slightly different ride, where as pooh uses the entire building, minus the small gift shop they crammed in, for one ride.)

innerSpaceman
02-27-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Come on fess up, I'm sure they pppoped your bubble when they caught you, and how was it seeing the Innerspace of the ride? :~D :D :p
Yeah, who wouldn't have thought this was about us? It's certainly our M.O., with one minor exception . . . we don't get caught.

From what I understand, we are getting a Pooh treatment that is going to underwhelm both Florida and Tokyo. At this point, however, I will welcome nearly any new Disneyland attraction with open arms. Loads of guaranteed excitement for at least two weeks!

merlinjones
02-27-2003, 03:27 PM
>>From what I understand, we are getting a Pooh treatment that is going to underwhelm both
Florida and Tokyo. <<

Lord, how can it be humanly possible to underwhelm the Florida version? Is it just plywood flats?