PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Under Tornado Warning [1/19; Lifted as of 2pm]

Pages : [1] 2

Rkkm
01-19-2010, 12:18 PM
TV Weather just announced that 34 mph winds are heading toward Anaheim with a tornado warning. Any other details from DL? Stay safe, everyone!

AVP
01-19-2010, 12:35 PM
TV Weather just announced that 34 mph winds are heading toward Anaheim with a tornado warning. Any other details from DL? Stay safe, everyone!A DLR spokesperson says of right now there are no plans to close the parks early today, and that the worst appears to have passed. The resort is also "working closely with local public agencies" to monitor the weather, and has notified leads and CMs of the tornado warning.

AVP

Rkkm
01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks! Good news.

Marasmama
01-19-2010, 12:50 PM
I was at Tower of Terror in Disney MGM back in 1997 when there was a tornado on Disney property. I'm not too worried about Disneyland since where I come from a F0-F1 tornado is a glorified little dust devil.

bennette
01-19-2010, 12:53 PM
We were in the path, further down the coast and just got a warning at work to stay inside until 2:00. But the worst of it has passed us and another alert has gone out canceling the warning. Some trees went down and it was pretty windy for a bit but I wouldn't have thought it unusual if I didn't get the warning on my cell phone (it's part of our campus emergency system).

AVP
01-19-2010, 01:00 PM
The warning has been cancelled.

bennette
01-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Also, I don't know about Anaheim but the sun is shining again here. :)

mechurchlady
01-19-2010, 03:38 PM
My mother and I were at the parks 15 to 30 years ago. A tornado/microburst hit Anaheim. We were in Disneyland right next to a big window that Mom says was moving. It was really bad and scary

Why wasn't I told about tornados since I live so close, sigh. I would have slept through that also.

zombie pirate
01-19-2010, 03:45 PM
I rained like crazy here in San Diego's east county, The wind was very bad, lots of tree limbs down, creeks were overflowing, I love it.

darph nader
01-19-2010, 06:16 PM
I rained like crazy here in San Diego's east county, The wind was very bad, lots of tree limbs down, creeks were overflowing, I love it.

It's headin this way. High wind advisery for the next 3 days,plus a buncha rain. :(

Tinkermommy
01-19-2010, 06:42 PM
I received a news advisory late this afternoon that San Diego also was under a tornado watch. Wow!

Drince88
01-19-2010, 06:44 PM
creeks were overflowing, I love it.
I hope no homes are in the way of the flooding.

olegc
01-20-2010, 07:24 AM
this was posted from MouseWait via Twitpic

http://twitpic.com/yupyz

yesterday (tue) on main street

cstephens
01-20-2010, 07:29 AM

Nice, the Rivers of America have indeed made it to Main Street! Thanks for posting that.

VickiC
01-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Just talked to a friend in Ventura where it is sleeting and it is heade our way.

disneylandgirl
01-20-2010, 01:28 PM

Holy cow!!! :eek:

There was a tornado / waterspout in my county yesterday (about 4 hrs north of DL). So weird!!!

mechurchlady
01-20-2010, 03:04 PM
I was watching the news this morning and three was a tornado or water spout that hit the Sunset beach and Hunting Harbor area, They showed a boat that had been flipped onto the dock. Lots of homes up in La Crecenta were evacuated and on the news they showed how one area had 250 homes with only one road into the area. People could hike out but no way to get cars in if there was flooding.

I wonder if Disneyland is closed as it is pouring rain right now.

Tinkermommy
01-20-2010, 03:27 PM
The pic of Main Street is amazing!

I can't believe all this rain.

Nor can I believe how many California drivers think it's still okay to drive 65 mph when it's raining so hard you can hardly see. I was so shaken up by crazed rain drivers fishtailing, and throwing up blinding sheets of water on the 71 yesterday that by the time I got to the Tinkerteen's school, I was crying. That's the scariest drive I've made in a very long time!

VickiC
01-20-2010, 03:52 PM
I wonder if Disneyland is closed as it is pouring rain right now.

It is showing as closing at 8 (CA at 6), but I can't imagine being there now. I know some people say they like it in the rain, but I'm guessing they don't mean this kind of deluge! DDs' swim practice just got canceled, and believe me our coach holds practice in ALL kinds of weather.

Tinkermommy
01-20-2010, 04:00 PM
The water running down both sides of my street (in Chino Hills, 23 miles from DL) is so high that the two sides have almost met in the middle. It looks swift, and I can see it's washing over the sidewalk and driveway of the house across the street from me. Hope hubby left LA early today!

potzbie
01-20-2010, 04:02 PM

I thunk up some amusing captions for the photo linked to by "olegc". :)

• New "Sorcerer's Apprentice" Live Show Goes Horribly Wrong

• "Storybookland" Canal Ride Retrofitted to Main Street

• Cumulative Effect of Snow on Main Street Unanticipated by Imagineers

• "Lilo's & Stitch's Surfing Parade" Needs More Floats

• "Little Mermaid" Dark Ride Gets (Too) Soft Opening on Main Street

• Little Known Fact: "Rivers of America" Tributary is Fed Via Pond of Main Street

• "Honey I Shrunk the Mike Fink Keelboats" Causes Nary a Ripple with Main Street Guests

mechurchlady
01-20-2010, 04:03 PM
KNX radio says that the Grapevine is closed for a short while because of snow and they added more houses to the evacuation area. At least I do not have to water the lawn, lol.

Teddi
01-20-2010, 04:53 PM
People don't realize how bad these storms can be for sunny so cal. But hopefully things stay under control. I think we're at 4 of 7 storms run thru so far. But as for Disneyland, have rain gear, will DO! Riding BTM in the rain and in the dark added extra fright for sure.

Tinkermommy
01-20-2010, 04:54 PM
I thunk up some amusing captions for the photo linked to by "olegc". :)

• "Honey I Shrunk the Mike Fink Keelboats" Causes Nary a Ripple with Main Street Guests

I love it! The last one gets my vote...

PS - hubby just texted to say they've stopped his LA-outbound train to check the tracks for flooding. Yikes!

mechurchlady
01-20-2010, 05:30 PM
I am going to bed early and hiding under the covers. The weatherman had the doppler map on screen and it only showed Torrance which was covered with green and yellow. Another wall of water coming by my house.

It is a big thing out here as some housing tracts have only one road in or out. Burned areas can come down the hillside.