PDA

View Full Version : The Ear Hat Figurine...

Pages : [1] 2

Lollipop's Mom
01-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks for posting photos in todays update.

Anyone else think it is unfair that AP holders get a 'better' one. I worked just as hard at my day of volunteer work as anyone else, and my 6 day hopper pass is comparable in price to a resident AP - why do they get a nicer one with more pins than me? Hmmmmmmm....

adriennek
01-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks for posting photos in todays update.

Anyone else think it is unfair that AP holders get a 'better' one. I worked just as hard at my day of volunteer work as anyone else, and my 6 day hopper pass is comparable in price to a resident AP - why do they get a nicer one with more pins than me? Hmmmmmmm....

It's an AP benefit. It's in Disneyland's interest to offer benefits to APs. It's business. If you want the pins you can try to buy them on Ebay or you can upgrade your park hopper to an AP and get them. There's a way for you to get them also.

Adrienne

Lollipop's Mom
01-18-2010, 09:20 AM
It's an AP benefit. It's in Disneyland's interest to offer benefits to APs. It's business. If you want the pins you can try to buy them on Ebay or you can upgrade your park hopper to an AP and get them. There's a way for you to get them also.

Adrienne

Normally I would agree, as AP do get some benefits, but when it is a promotion where everyone did the same thing, they shouldn't play faves to AP's.
Its not a big deal to me, but I do feel it is unfair.

I have a multi day ticket already and was thinking of going for fastpasses or this. We live far away and buying an AP would be stupid for us, as we only get to DL once every few years.

Unless applying the cost of the $72 to an AP, its not that great of a savings anyway.

Right now you can get a 4 day hopper for $161 if you buy in advance.
If I take my $72 free ticket to the gate and upgrade it to a 4 day hopper (which is $229 gate price), it ends up costing me $157, which makes my free ticket only worth $4.

I am better off using it for a fast pass or the figurine.

Drince88
01-18-2010, 09:21 AM
But using that logic, Adrienne, shouldn't AP's have gotten a bigger gift card for the birthday promotion than those who just had multi-day hoppers?

adriennek
01-18-2010, 09:47 AM
But using that logic, Adrienne, shouldn't AP's have gotten a bigger gift card for the birthday promotion than those who just had multi-day hoppers?

I'm not saying that APs "should" or "shouldn't" have gotten anything. I just don't play the "fair" game.

For years APs have been playing it - demanding what they think they're entitled to using the "fair" argument. One classic (and, admittedly, it would be my favorite,) - in Florida they have two separate pricing structures for adult APs versus children's APs, so it isn't FAIR that we don't have that in California, too.

As an AP holder, I don't get any Early Entry days even if I stay off property but Park Hoppers staying off property do.. Is that "fair"? Well, it's a benefit that can be afforded to Park Hoppers, along with ToonTown Madness tickets, special access to the Aladdin show, etc, etc.

Disney's decided to make an added benefit for APs during the volunteer thing. Maybe they think this will boost AP sales. Maybe they think it will boost AP participation in the promotion.

Donning my flame proof undies just in case: I'm not participating in this promotion. Do I believe in volunteering? Well, you'll have to ask my children's school, my church and the Boy Scouts of America. ;) If Disney wanted to reward me for the hours I spent volunteering, I'd have a free AP. And personally? I'd rather have a free AP than the pin thing. Is it 'Fair' that I spent hundreds of hours a year volunteering my time and racking up service hours but they aren't hours that Disney recognizes for their program?

I've said it before: If you want fair, go to Pomona. (http://www.fairplex.com/fp/) ;)

Adrienne

kfreak
01-18-2010, 01:12 PM
While I do agree that it might not be fair, I do have something to say about this. As we have progressed as a people we have become less fair. As companies have progressed the same can be said of them. Credit cards are the same way. People who are a part get more than those who arent. Its just a part of the business model that every business student learns in school. Its the 20/80 rule they are using to decide who gets what reward.

DwarfPlanet
01-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Is it 'Fair' that I spent hundreds of hours a year volunteering my time and racking up service hours but they aren't hours that Disney recognizes for their program?

My thoughts exactly!!!!

Kuzcofan
01-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Im not sure why, but if I were to guess it is becasue some AP holders have few or no black out dates (I have none) so if I volunteer I do not get a free day for myself I have to donate that too. But with the extra pins at least I get something out of it. So maybe it is a way to try to encourage those of us without blackout dates to volunteer.

adriennek
01-18-2010, 03:02 PM
As we have progressed as a people we have become less fair. As companies have progressed the same can be said of them. Credit cards are the same way. People who are a part get more than those who arent. Its just a part of the business model that every business student learns in school. Its the 20/80 rule they are using to decide who gets what reward.

I disagree.

I don't think that people are less fair - I think that people feel more entitled than in the past and that there's an increased demand for 'fairness'.

ETA: And I don't mean that as a criticism or a snark at any one person in particular, much less anyone on this thread. :) It's just my opinion on society/life in general.

Adrienne

kfreak
01-18-2010, 03:16 PM
I disagree.

I don't think that people are less fair - I think that people feel more entitled than in the past and that there's an increased demand for 'fairness'.

ETA: And I don't mean that as a criticism or a snark at any one person in particular, much less anyone on this thread. :) It's just my opinion on society/life in general.

Adrienne

Let me clarify then, I am not meaning all people, just a lot of people. I have seen it very much through the jobs I have had including serving in the military. And yes I will agree with you Adrienne that a lot of people do feel more and more entitled these days than they have in the past.

Lollipop's Mom
01-18-2010, 04:04 PM
I wasnt trying to sound 'entitled'. I just think that when its a promotion like this, it should all the be same. Like someone else said, AP holders didn't get a bigger giftcard on their birthday than the rest of us.
It will be interesting though to see what these ear hat figurines sell for on ebay, as I assume someone out there will list one sooner or later.
I am not a pin collector at all, so leaning towards fastpasses.

BlkPearlCptn
01-18-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm another one who won't be participating in this promotion. I also do hundreds of hours a year volunteering through Rebel Legion and 501st for various children's charities and children's hosptials. Unfortunately, they (RL and 501st) and their charities aren't recognized by Disney.

cstephens
01-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Yes, I agree. I don't think it's fair that I got the same amount for my birthday as someone who only had a multi-day ticket. I also don't think that it's fair that I got less for my birthday than someone else did who had a birthday later in the year when ticket prices went up.

Disney owes me.

mechurchlady
01-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Yes, I agree. I don't think it's fair that I got the same amount for my birthday as someone who only had a multi-day ticket. I also don't think that it's fair that I got less for my birthday than someone else did who had a birthday later in the year when ticket prices went up.

Disney owes me.
I like your thinking, lol.
Yeah, Disney owes me and Mom, also.

lauramaynot
01-18-2010, 08:58 PM
I was a little surprized that the AP's got a better (for lack of a better term ;)) pin set, but at the same time I'm not since they are trying to create incentive for APers to participate by giving them something exclusive. Though I am not sure why they even felt it neccessary to give all these options. Really why all the pins and such? why do they make it so complicated? I think that donating your voucher to someone in need is a nice gesture - but if we are giving just for the sake of giving why couldn't they just match each AP voucher earned with a voucher for charity and then just apply the value of the ticket to the renewal of the AP whenever it expires in the next 12 months and be done with it :rolleyes: They just made things completely unneccessarily complicated IMO.

olegc
01-18-2010, 10:02 PM
geez, it's just pins.... now if it were cash (or a gift card) then let's talk. i love pins - but this? i'm actually annoyed i am getting only pins - I want cash or disney dollars so I can enjoy my free day (which for us is not that free - we spent $$ on materials to supply blankets). I feel scammed - and i want mine! :p

dz4dsny
01-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Um... did I miss the point of the Volunteering thingy? Wasn't it to do good for others or the planet or?

olegc
01-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Um... did I miss the point of the Volunteering thingy? Wasn't it to do good for others or the planet or?

you're right - and as you have seen on this thread many already do good for others above and beyond, and prior to, what Disney wants you to do. now that they have created a way to get something for doing a deed - well now the focus changes a bit doesn't it. I, like others, volunteer a ton of time elsewhere for the benefit of my church and youth in my community. This is just adding to it and one primary reason I am adding to my overall effort is to indeed earn that ticket.

disney42dude
01-19-2010, 05:16 PM

Very true!

mechurchlady
01-20-2010, 05:01 AM
Yep and if I could volunteer I would. There is no reward great enough currently to make me volunteer. I rather have a real job and give every week part of my paycheck than spend a couple hours volunteering with a group that means nothing to me. I have my beloved mission in Skid Row and Heiffer Project and Salvation Army.

whillywhack
01-20-2010, 05:57 AM
Nobody has a picture yet of the Ear Hat Figurine? I thought the fastpasses wouldn't be worth it as I go to Disneyland twice a month.

If anyone has a picture of the Ear Hat Figurine post it ASAP :D.

olegc
01-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Nobody has a picture yet of the Ear Hat Figurine? I thought the fastpasses wouldn't be worth it as I go to Disneyland twice a month.

If anyone has a picture of the Ear Hat Figurine post it ASAP :D.

there is a link provided further up in the thread - but it's from a photo. the figurine itself has not emerged publicly from what I understand.

Malcon10t
01-20-2010, 10:15 AM
We volunteer, but not for the incentives. Since the agency we work with is part of Helping Hands, but not part of this project, we just keep doing what we do, and no need to get the extra from Disney. Disney already does a lot by donating to our organization and I am happy with that. I think there is a shelter we could volunteer at, but right now the new puppy we are raising is under 6 mos and the chances of tracking home a disease is too great, so maybe in a few months we will check again.

whillywhack
01-20-2010, 07:32 PM
It's been about 20 days into the promotion, and still no pictures of the Ear Hat Figurine. Does anybody know do they have those hats currently ready to be redeemed? Or have they not received them yet?

Teddi
01-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Look at the Disneyland Resort Update from either this week or last week, but MP has photos of them and most of the Pins that come with. But I don't think it's a Figurine, it's an actual set of ears....