PDA

View Full Version : What if [Disney] did [a golf course as the third DLR park]

Pages : [1] 2

Reuben
07-24-2001, 10:17 AM
Disneyland has been lacking in excitment... DCA big deal..... right? So knowing Disney they would turn the 3rd theme park land into : Drum rool

A golf Course, I don't think they would do it, but they are the only people who would think of it and then do it.... I am not for a golf course, but it might happen... :(

clehr68
07-24-2001, 10:26 AM
A golf course would ruin the family concept of Disney. Dad could abandon the family while the kids and mon fo to Disney or DCA - bad idea.

Alex S.
07-24-2001, 11:12 AM
Unless my mental image is way off, there is no way a good golf course could be squeezed into the space available for a third park.

Maleficent0
07-24-2001, 11:14 AM
I don't inheritantly discount a golf course idea, but I do think that we're looking at a water park.

Does anyone know if building a water park is cheaper than a normal attraction park? My assumption would be that the water park would be cheaper, and if that's the case, it probably looks appealing to Disney.

And I still think DCA will be a great park in 5 to 10 years. Yes, they could have spent less by spending more earlier, but I *do not* think they're currently throwing good money after bad by improving DCA.

Gregmh48
07-24-2001, 11:20 AM
Walt Disney World has several golf courses so the idea isn't that farfetched.

PirateoftheCaribbean
07-24-2001, 11:37 AM
WDW's Fantasia Gardens Mini-Golf Course is actually well-themed and Kids can play, But I don't like the idea of a golf course as a third park, really.

Alex S.
07-24-2001, 12:21 PM
Really, if you are talking a real, high-quality 18-hole golf course I don't think you have to worry. There is just no way it could fit.

The space available for the third park is 89 acres. According the the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA (http://www.gcsaa.org/media/factsheets/2000/pgatour/attpoppy.html)) the average course requires 150 to 200 acres.

Also keep in mind that the footprint of a golf course tends to be long and narrow while the space availabe for the third park is relatively square. To put a golf course in there would likely require a decent amount of crossing.

A 9-hole course or a par-3 course (or a miniature golf course) might be possible, but I just don't see a full-size professional quality course being possible.

Lacrosse Boy
07-24-2001, 12:24 PM
No. Not a golf course. A Lacrosse Field! I love Lacrosse! Yeah!!!!!:cool:

Reuben
07-24-2001, 04:33 PM
I am not for a golf course, but is just an idea....

EandCDad
07-24-2001, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Alex Stroup

The space available for the third park is 89 acres. According the the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA (http://www.gcsaa.org/media/factsheets/2000/pgatour/attpoppy.html)) the average course requires 150 to 200 acres.

How many of the superintendents did you have over Alex?

Actually, if Disney is considering a water park (I HATE water parks), they might as well go for a well themed minature golf course instead (I don't think those are the best options, but when comparing the "quality" of a water park to a minature golf land, I just don't see the difference).

The other good option would be to play off ESPN and build a "sports wonderland." I have no idea what that phrase means but I'm pretty sure Lacrosse would not be included. ;)

DisneylandKid
07-24-2001, 05:22 PM
No sports... I don't think that would be very consistent with Disney's image as "magical." No golf course. No waterpark. Use the money to better improve DCA and DL. Eventually, I think they should build a third THEME PARK, but not for a while.

Napsto
07-26-2001, 04:53 PM
a sports park would be fun. you could have championship parades, and lots more of fun stuff.

a hall of champions ride!

SimpTwister
07-26-2001, 08:41 PM
Sports Theme = Bad.

(I had written some scathing comments about pro sports and hardcore sports fans, but deleted them to avoid a flame war.)

Let's just say that the ESPN Zone is has enough sports stuff for the whole resort.

Anyway, I don't think we have to worry about the TTP space becoming a golf course, though I'd love to see a deluxe mini golf course at the resort.

Napsto
07-27-2001, 12:15 AM
i wonder what you said. i know a sports would never work but can't a guy dream a little.

SimpTwister
07-27-2001, 12:39 AM
Heh. No offense, Napsto (or any other sports fans).

I realized after I posted that a couple of posters in this thread have sports figures as avatars...

OK, I'll come clean: All I had said was that pro sports aren't particularily family-friendly (it's usually all about 'Dad', as someone previously said about golf) and that the primary function of pro sports seems to be to sell beer. See? Not that bad.

I have to admit that I like to watch the Blazers and the Mariners once in a while, but generally I guess I just don't get the whole sports culture thing.

I think having ESPN Zone is fine, and inevitable. A whole sports-themed park would just be a bit much for me personally. I would NEVER go there.

My opinions only, of course.

07-27-2001, 06:26 AM
I'm guessing inclusiveness would be the central premise of any new park. Sports - even golf (shudder) - excludes a whole bunch of people.

I'm also guessing you'd have to sign a waiver (or it'd be printed on the back of your entry ticket or something of that nature) in case of a bizarre golfing accident.

nervesandgel
11-07-2003, 01:34 AM
really a golf course would be such a bad idea, i mean come on look at DCA, and where tower of terror is located

disney is just crumbleing (just look at the tiki room roof for example)

its in such a sad state

i will not renew my AP if they build a golf course, how can i enjoy that with my kids

where's Walt's vision?????

Walt said that he built the park so kids and adults can ride rides together, not so i can play golf and they can go on autopia.

millionairegirl
11-07-2003, 06:14 AM
I would adore a well themed water park. I loved Blizzard Beach in Orlando, and I would definitely go to an Anaheim one, perhaps it would have theme to go along with Paradise Pier. I think Southern California gets too cold in the winter to keep it open year round though. But I guess that's when they could do the annual refurbishment.

I think a golf course would also be wonderful to elevate the status of our resort, but I really don't see where there would be space, unless they bought out the convention center. I don't want a miniature golf course going in, especially if it's like the ones in Florida. The just reek cheapness to me!

SacTown Chronic
11-07-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by EandCDad

(I HATE water parks)

I second that with all my heart.

SimpTwister:

As a sports nut, I must say that your comments are not that far off base. The decline of sportmanship (both on the field and in the stands) and the outrageous salaries being paid to athletes almost has me saying to hell with the whole thing. And I really hate ESPN. They have had more to do with the decline of sportsmanship and team play than any other factor.

Demigod121
11-07-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by SimpTwister
Sports Theme = Bad.

(I had written some scathing comments about pro sports and hardcore sports fans, but deleted them to avoid a flame war.)

Let's just say that the ESPN Zone is has enough sports stuff for the whole resort.

Anyway, I don't think we have to worry about the TTP space becoming a golf course, though I'd love to see a deluxe mini golf course at the resort.

Considering that ESPN, very late night, is rebroadcasting OLD sports events, I guess there isn't enought sports to broadcast NEW stuff late at night. So why make a new sports-themed park?

Besides, they got plenty of space to put in a DECENT park - DCA!
I say gut what's there now and redo it. hee hee

-Demigod
(got that darned 'reproduction' song from Grease playin in my head!)

merlinjones
11-07-2003, 11:24 AM
I say "whatever" to the major golf course, but I would LOVE it if they would put in a super-cool miniature golf course themed to Alice In Wonderland's croquet grounds, complete with hedge maze etc. now that Would be su-pah!

sleepyjeff
11-07-2003, 09:07 PM
I would like to see something NEW.

I don't want to see a copy of Disney Seas, Blizzard Beach, Disney Studios, EPCOT, Fantasia Gardens, Disneys Wide World of Sports complex, Animal Kingdom, typhoon lagoon, Discovery Island, or the County Fair(DCA).

Would it not be nice for something unique and outstanding. Something that would make everybodys jaw drop. Something that would make Floridians cry "when are they going to build us one?":)

MonorailMan
11-07-2003, 10:03 PM
4 Words:
Miniature Golf in Yesterland

"Put through the ages, as you explore Disneyland as it was long ago..."

Freerider127
11-08-2003, 05:21 AM
Miniture golf in disneyland or even a park dedicated to miniture golf is a very scary thought.:eek:

DrIndianaJones
11-08-2003, 09:53 PM
It would be a poor course even if it were only a 9-hole.
As for a water park, too cold in the winter, I'm sure Disney wants more people at DLR, and thus an added park will draw more folks. I doubt someone will travel 2000mi to golf at a wimpy Disney course.