PDA

View Full Version : Characters [roaming versus in one set location]

michael j buckhouse
01-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi,

Is it just me, or you used to see Disney Characters roaming the parks. Was just at Disneyland between Christmas and New Year's, and really didn't see to many of them.

houseofmouse
01-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Not too many roam anymore. A lot have specific places and specific meet and greets. Once in a while you may get lucky!! I am not sure why that is though.

DwarfPlanet
01-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Good observation, I used to love to happen upon seeing the Beagle Boys (and other characters at times) out and about sitting or standing next to someone until they finally really noticed who was there.

dznyphreak
01-17-2010, 01:43 AM
Recently, the only characters I've seen truly roaming are Alice and the Mad Hatter near the castle, and Peter Pan. It's a lot less exciting having to be in a certain place at a certain time to find a character than to just stumble upon one (or have them stumble upon you!)

AJDerrick
01-20-2010, 10:23 AM
One place that's not a meet-n-greet where we seem to find characters is ride exits. In the last few years we've found Mickey at the exit of Space (creating a HUGE roadblock, ahh!) and after watching the 50 years movie on Main Street. He was just hanging out in the exit lobby! We had been the only ones watching the show, so we got some great time with him.

But you're right, it's not as often. As a kid we bumped into characters just wandering Main Street almost every morning!

VickiC
01-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Here's the thing- most people who see a character don't actually want to interact freeform with them, they want a signature and a posed photograph with the character. The moment a "roaming" character is spotted he/she immediately is stopped by someone who wants one, the other or both. While this is occuring, other people see the character and form a line to get their turn. If the character just walks away and starts "roaming" again these people will become very upset and feel cheated. What do you suggest Disney does to change this situation and allow characters to roam?

lauramaynot
01-20-2010, 06:51 PM
It is fun to see them roaming but I agree that there is just a ton of chaos with people trying to form a line and pushing their kids up front...but it is much more organized and easier to get your face time with the meet n greet locations. I think it all comes down to crowd size. It seems like there are more free characters when the crowds are smaller vs. when the park is crowded and I bet part of that is the safety of the character. They tend to really get mobbed and it is hard for the handlers to keep people in line sometimes.

That said, I was a bit miffed when they turned the fantasyland theater into the princess fantasy faire, since that was such a huge crowd sucker upper, but I really like that they have a place for the princesses and there is room for the long lines there - much prefered over the way they used to have it on the paths in front of the castle. We love to walk through there and the meet n greet lines really clogged the area up. I think the character meals are also great without having to wait in lines to see the characters and always suggest that to friends who want to get pics and autographs.

Teddi
01-20-2010, 07:53 PM
YOu don't see too much roaming. We've in recent trips seen a few walking in Tomorrowland... and Pluto playing in Toontown (too cute), and sometimes on the front of Main St.

The other thing is events like the infamous Tigger-punched-the-kid-in-the-head video (which lead to a lawsuit) and the one in DisneyParis where Pluto chased the kid and fell down. Hence, standing in location with handlers, an eye witness and a "security blanket".

houseofmouse
01-21-2010, 06:06 AM
It's funny how this was never a problem when I was younger. People used to stand and watch and wave when characters walked by. They never would "mug" them and be rude and pushy about pictures. I think it speaks volumes for how people have changed.

To me, not seeing them roam kinda takes away from the atmosphere of Disneyland. You used to never know who might pop around the corner. Even if you don't get a picture and autograph, isn't it still fun to see them actually "living" inside the park, instead of just standing around in one spot?

As to what Disney could do, well maybe they could have several handlers saying the characters are just out for a stroll. If people feel cheated then that it is their problem and brings up a totally different topic.:|

VickiC
01-21-2010, 08:21 AM
It hink Disney perpetuates the problem by selling the autograph books and the pictures via photopass. How many ads have you seen for the parks that feature private posed photos of happy kids with a character?

WisforWonderwoman
01-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Our First trip to Disneyland in December of 2004 we were headed to It's a small world when the park opened, it was a Wednesday morning. Just as we were approaching the the ride here was Minnie, Mickey and Pluto. There was no one else around us. We took some really great pictures and the kids got to interact with them. It was a good 5 minutes before anyone else showed up. You couldn't ask for a better first morning on your first trip with your kids (ages 6, 3, and 1 1/2) to Disneyland.

Sometimes those roaming moments create a memory the will stay with you for a lifetime.

3Princesses1Prince
01-21-2010, 09:15 AM
At Xmas we saw the Wicked Queen (snow white) between PP and the Castle. We waited in line to get her autograph and a picture when Peter Pan joined us in line! We thought he'd come to "take her place" but he just wanted to antagonize her! He was absolutely convinced she could turn into a dragon and kept saying "magic words" to get her to change. We all finally had to break it to him she wasn't Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty. After that he skipped off on his merry way! It was great, and something I miss from even a few years ago.

ETA: I also miss seeing the princesses at the entrance by the mickey flowers this year.

gueroortega
01-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Me and my family were there this past Sat-Wed. Maybe it was the rain but my girls got so much interaction with the charaters that it got overwhelming at times takin pictures. At one time inside Innovations my youngest got to play with Mickey for about 10 minutes. She was so happy ... That in itself made the trip all the worth while with the rain....

The old man
01-21-2010, 01:11 PM
It's funny how this was never a problem when I was younger. People used to stand and watch and wave when characters walked by. They never would "mug" them and be rude and pushy about pictures. I think it speaks volumes for how people have changed.
|
It really is the autograph thing that's jazzed things up. I don't understand the thrill of getting an autograph from someone in a costumed suit. I only want it from the real character!

WisforWonderwoman
01-22-2010, 04:31 PM
To a 5 year old.....They are all real characters. ;)

SpaceDog76
01-24-2010, 04:24 PM
The characters I see that do a lot of wandering around are Peter Pan, Wendy, Alice, The Mad Hatter, Mary Poppins and Burt (besides the fab 5). The Disneyland Peter Pan is totally flawless by the way. Best face character ever IMHO.:D