PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland memories that make us smile

Pages : [1] 2 3

Squeaky
01-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Nothing makes me happier than a day at Disneyland with the ones I love. There are so many threads stating negative experiences at Disneyland, I think we need a happy thread. Let's post something that just makes us smile - a favorite experience, a ride, a smell, anything that brings a smile to your face. Let's share the happiness that Disney inspires. :)

This past weekend, I had a wonderful experience. I went to DLR with my sister and her kids, my niece (9) and nephew (3) for the first time. We started our day off at California Adventure. We were searching for the hidden mickey tile in Sunshine Plaza, when we ran into Goofy! My nephew's face lit up, he ran to Goofy and gave him a great big hug. I expected Goofy to just go on and visit with other kids, but he stayed and started dancing with him! Next they jumped up on the ledge by the water and looked into the fountain, and Goofy got excited about the money (he rubbed his fingers together in the "money" sign) then he jumped down, jumped around with my niece, and gave my sister a hug! He then waved goodbye, and started signing autographs for the crowd that gathered. It was a great morning, one we'll never forget. :)

disney4iv
01-14-2010, 11:07 AM
In June we took my parents (who had not been to the park in 23 years) and our kids (8 & 2). I don't know which was more enjoyable, watching my parents or my kids experience all of the magic that Disneyland has to offer. A huge highlight was Fantasmic! My mom and dad were amazed and my kids still talk about the dragon to this day. Our trip was unforgettable, and we can't wait to go back!:D

DwarfPlanet
01-14-2010, 11:14 AM
My oldest son has aspergers which is a form of autism. He's in his 20's and his absolute favorite thing about Disney is finding Cast Member Hidden Mickey pins on cast member lanyards. So we're cruising through a store on Main Street and he spots a CM walking by with a lanyard. My son approached him and asked to see his lanyard. The CM then asks my son if he's looking for anything special. So my son tells him about a Tinkerbell set that just came out and he's trying to find all 6 of them and shows him the single one he has already collected. The CM reaches in his pocket and pulls out the full set of Tinks that my son is looking for and gives them to him. My son then explains to the CM that he doesn't have enough pins to trade for all of them. The CM then tells my son its okay and explains its a present from Mickey. The look on the CM's face when my son gave him a great big ol'hug was priceless, and I suspect it made his day also.

HauntedKid
01-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Well...in the spirits of the "Happiest Memories on Earth"...I guess....that back in 1989 was the first trip I made to Disneyland...my dad took me...I was 4 1/2 but I crearly remember most of the day...since that day...my life hasnt been the same...I have to go a least twice a year...and every single time I get to the park feels like a "first visit" :D....still that `89 day...is going to be one of my fav memories....since was the first time!!!

AJDerrick
01-14-2010, 12:17 PM
I was just thinking there should be a happy thread! Thank you for making one. Don't you love running into a character when no one is around? Finding Mickey this way is always one of our goals. We're usually pretty successful!

I have two very favorite Disneyland memories. The first is when we used to do prefered seating for Fantasmic when it was up on the Disney Gallery balcony. It must've been at least ten years ago now, I don't even know! But I remember my Daddy getting up super early to go wait to get tickets, he was such a trooper. That night we'd head up early and there would be just 12 or so people having dessert, hot chocolate and chatting with the most wonderful cast members. They took such good care of us, made us feel like we were the only ones in the park, and it was a fabulous way to experience Fantasmic! I wish you still could do it that way!

My second magical cast member I never met--but whoever it was got my husband the perfect seats on the train platform for the fireworks, where he then proposed. He also got a pocket full of any ride fast passes, so after I stopped crying we rode all my favorites! Thank you, mystery cast member!

oregontraveler
01-14-2010, 12:33 PM
I'll post a few... getting a FREE ticket to the Fantasmic Buffet the year the Gallery closed. A family from Las Vegas had extras, I was at the right place at the right time.

My very first visit in 1974, apparently I forced my Dad to take me on Small World about 5 times in a row. (never lived that one down :p)

But the best one of all... Jan. 2003. In O.C. for my cousin's wedding, we went to DL the day after. Seeing the park thru my 3 1/2 yr old nephew's eyes rekindled my passion for all things Disney. Watching my mom and her sister have a ball on the Tea Cups. Good times :)

emsmom
01-14-2010, 03:01 PM
I usually get two trips a year one in June with my youngest daughter (17), the happiest memory of those trips is the one time we didn't stay on property and were in the park from rope drop to close. We were beat but the last few rides on Splash were great!! The second trip is in January with all my girls, the happiest memory there is watching the oldest (26) cry every night during fireworks and snow. We all end up crying once she starts.

houseofmouse
01-14-2010, 03:06 PM
The first one is:
The first time I took each of my kids to Disneyland, where they were really old enough to enjoy it! Just watching and listening to them was the best!

The second one is:
Each trip I have taken just me and one child! So many happy memories!:)

The Mouse Is Back
01-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Wow, there are so many! One of my favorites is when me, my sister, and our mom were walking by Carnation Gardens on one of the "big band" nights during a summer long ago. Little had we known when we came that day that Count Basie and his orchestra would be playing. My mom LOVED swing dancing when she was young (my cousin called her "Aunt Bebop" :)), and by then she was having lots of problems with arthritis. But while we were listening to the great, great, great music of the Count and his wonderful fellow musicians, Mommy started bouncing to the beat of the music and even did a step or two. The smile on her face said it all. She was envious of the couples out there on the floor but for a few minutes, she was young again.

Then there are all the times my sister and I rode the Mark Twain late at night and sat on the floor of the second deck, leaning against a wall, and just talking about nothing in particular.

And all the times me, Mommy, and my daughter took family vacations, staying at the Garden Villas (great rates back then...not to mention Villas back then) and always making sure to ride Peter Pan and IASW and POTC (my mom's favorites).

My mom and sister are both gone now, so these memories are bittersweet in many ways - but mostly fantastic!

Ally

mousecanuck
01-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Unexpected banter with Characters - Mickey & Goofy 'fighting' over my kids' respective autograph books when they finally reached the front of the line.

And all the characters we met when my daughter was little (3 1/2) - she believed the magic so much and it wasn't busy and we'd be walking along and stumble upon someone (Aladdin and Jasmine, Pooh & Tigger, Belle when she did story time at the book store, there were a lot!) and she'd be shy and sweet and they'd enjoy her and she'd 'believe' every meeting and it was just so cool - we have amazing pictures of every meeting and we didn't have digital back then ; )

I totally agree, the first time any child goes is amazing; subsequent visits are good but not quite so good as the very first time.

nbaum
01-14-2010, 06:48 PM
One year, at the Halloween party, we were standing around and my sister was telling a story. She is very animated when speaking and Captain Hook came up behind her and started waving his arms around making fun of her. Then he tapped her on the head with his hook. It was so funny and he took a ton of pictures with us.

Malcon10t
01-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Peter Pan refusing to sign MDM's map in Blue ink because Capt. Hook signed in blue and insisting on seeing all the colors we had, and not being happy til we found a green pen.

kfreak
01-14-2010, 08:20 PM
My happiest memory would have to be proposing to my Fiancee during the fireworks on her birthday. I dont think anything will ever top that.

Squeaky
01-14-2010, 08:34 PM
These are all such special stories, thanks for sharing them everyone :) I can practically hear the smile in your voices as I read them! Keep them coming everyone! :D

Tinkermommy
01-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Hmmm...there are so many. But I'd have to say the day we took the "Discover the Magic" tour. It was brand new at the time. My daughter (who was much younger, of course) and I were the only ones to sign up for the tour. They didn't cancel it, so we had our own private tour guide/playmate and crew.

We had SO much fun marching up Main Street with our tambourines, singing the Mickey Mouse Club theme (most embarrassing when there are only three of you); running across bridges screaming and waving our arms in the air, dressing and talking like pirates and taking over the fort on the island, and playing with Tom and Huck at the end of our tour. They made my daughter feel like a princess!

A close second, however, would be helping Chris propose to Brittany last February during the Tinkerteen's birthday trip. That was definitely one of the most magical experiences we've ever had there, and I don't think I've ever laughed as much as I did that day with Rojen and her mom. Good times for sure!

ssturgeo
01-15-2010, 07:05 AM
So MANY happy memories...(just walking thru the tunnel (left!) everytime is a happy memory!! But, among my favorites:

First time I took my granddaughter when she was ten, seeing it anew thru her eyes. Taking her again for the 50th...a week at the DL Hotel, Princess Diaries Suite...Fantasmic gallery buffet. And then taking her for her 16th birthday celebration...another week at the DL hotel , and having HER request this for her birthday present...knowing she shared the magic and "got it"!! Her birthday lunch at Club 33...which was a surprise til we got to the door.

Treating my brother to Riverside buffet seating for Fantasmic.

Getting to participate in Tianna's Showboat Jubilee on the Mark Twain last trip. A ride on the Lily Belle, Nov. 2005 and seeing DL decked out for Christmas for the very first time.

Have had so many special interactions with CM's, that have made visits special.

Okay, now I just want to BE there!!!!

MammaSilva
01-15-2010, 11:10 AM
My daughters eyes EVERY time we walk into the 'studio' where Mickey is filming ...the joy in her face and voice when we're just planning the next trip....which is usually while we're THERE on a trip LOL.

Hannahbelle
01-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Wow....soooooo many happy times.

Heres a few:

Most recently, in 2009 - getting to meet fellow Mouseplanet People at the park.
In July a bunch of us helped Mr Zombie with his proposal and recently I got to meet DFF4, Churrogirl, and Fairestoneofall; I hope we stay friends for years and years!!!:D

*Getting to ride on the Lily Belle, been to DL MORE times than I can remember and doing something for the "first time" is just awesome!

*My daughter asking Ariel, "Why you not wearing a shirt?" when she was only 2 and a half. Ariel, played it off really well. I can't remember exactly what she said I just wish I had it on video. It was adorable.:D

*Year of a Million Dreams -- getting the dream fast passes (even though we didn't need them because we won on a day the park wasn't crowded) and getting to stay in the park an extra hour. We rode 6 rides in 60 minutes. We rode the Haunted Mansion and were the only 3 people in the elevator! It was really memorable.

*One other trip that stands out was one year, we went to DL in January for Martin Luther King weekend and we were FREEZING!! I mean honestly, for Southern California, we were dressed like we were in the snow! We never took our coats off. It is so funny looking back at those pictures because we have so many layers of clothes on!!!

houseofmouse
01-15-2010, 12:40 PM
I am going to add a few more:

Last Oct., my son and I went just the two of us. We rode the tender behind the engine. That was pretty cool!

This past summer, my DH and I were the only two on the Segway Tour. That was pretty fun! Segways rock!

codewoman
01-15-2010, 01:04 PM
So many good memories! Riding the Matterhorn Bobsleds when I was four and absolutely loving it. I felt like I was flying.

Watching the look on my sons’ faces as they walked through the tunnel on their first visit.

Watching the fireworks from the Storybook boat (thanks, PanFan) with my sister. My sister is older than me and thought she had really *been* to Disneyland. But she hadn’t *been* with me. Thanks to all the information I’ve learned here, it was a magical trip.

The time my four year old son saw a Splash Mountain boat fall over the drop and he turned to me and said “I gotta ride that!”

My older son’s face as we pulled the harness down on Space Mountain when we were the first ones on the first train of the day.

Reading about Chris proposing to Brittany. I felt like I was there!

Riding Finding Nemo at park closing on a very rainy January day in 2008. No wait!

Eating beignets for the first time. Okay, now I’m hungry.

The time I took only my youngest over Gay Days for his 7th birthday. We passed two guys who wished him an enthusiastic “Happy Birthday Buddy!” He turned to me and said, “Gee, mom, you were right. Those red-shirt people are nice.”

AJDerrick
01-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Reading makes me think of more! Hooray for a thread full of happy thoughts!

Lunch at Club 33 twice--I love waving at people in NOS from the windows upstairs.

The first time I was there for the snow...the fireworks always make me insanely happy, but that was extra special.

Sitting in the driver's seat of the monorail!

Sleeping Beauty's mom
01-15-2010, 09:21 PM
When the original ELP was still at DL, the snail came up to her, dd.and 'talked' to her. Still remember it after all these years.
Last summer when dd and I finally went on Splash mt. It was really late just before closing, I told her - lets get on now, you won't get wet. We were soaked!!!!
And finally dd got her picture with Sleeping Beauty. In the past 3 years we have tried and tried and finally it was done.,

Sleeping Beauty's mom
01-15-2010, 09:27 PM
I have to add this one,
back in the 60's, it was my family's first visit to DL. We kids ranged from 5-12,
got on the Matterhorn and my mom was scared to death that my older brother
would try to stand up on the ride and get out. He was such a dare devil. Of
course he didn't and she held on tight the entire ride.

Tinkermommy
01-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Last night!

My 7- and now 5-year-old nieces were there with their dad, celebrating their January birthdays. The Tinkerteen and I met them there, but the girls didn't know we were coming. We decided to surprise them.

We went to ToonTown, bought a Sorcerer Mickey and a spring Minnie plush, and sat them on the fountain outside Roger Rabbit. We placed birthday buttons, two shiny pennies, and large note addressed to them telling them to make wishes and signed by Tinker Bell.

The Tinkerteen's plan was for us to then hide near the FastPass machines and wait for them to "find" the setup. Unfortunately, every time we walked away, somebody's child (too young to read, LOL) tried to pick up Mickey & Minnie.

When my brother called to say they were getting off the train at ToonTown, I approached a nearby family, explained the situation and asked if they could plush-sit for a moment. Honestly, I thought they were padders when they immediately got into it -- asking for descriptions of the kids, etc.

They motioned to me in the hiding place when they spotted my brother, and they stuck around for the discovery and wishes. The girls threw their pennies SO fast that we didn't even notice, so the family started motioning for us to come over. They totally rocked!

The girls were SO excited -- it was just a simple thing, but their reactions were priceless. And having strangers jump right on board made it even better.

DwarfPlanet
01-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Thats really awesome Tinkermommy, it is so much fun to be able to help others out in having a good time. I took my Mom to DL a couple years ago and we were finding a spot to watch the fireworks. We ended up sitting next to a couple with a couple young children and started up a conversation. We still had a 30-45 minute wait and the kids were getting antsy and the parents advised they hadn't stopped for dinner yet. Then they asked if we would watch their stuff so they could run get a couple burgers in Tomorrowland. We said sure, it was nice to find folks that still trusted a perfect stranger and us who would help someone out without looking for a profit or ripping them off. What we did was no where near as neat as what happened with you but it was a feel good moment.