PDA

View Full Version : Absolute MUST read....

Doodle Duck
07-24-2001, 08:22 AM
Dan Steinberg's 'The Business Of Magic" column
MP 7/24

It says it All.
Perfection.

Alex S.
07-24-2001, 09:54 AM
In the interest of self-promoting MousePlanet, here is the link:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/dan/bm010724.htm

Maleficent0
07-24-2001, 11:26 AM
I had the fortune of working as an executive assistant to a CEO or a public company in the Silicon Valley during the boom years. While our company ($80 million annual revenue) was very small compared to Disney, it was an eye-opening experience.

It really is amazing to see how much focus is on pleasing the investment community and not on doing what is right for the company. I submit that the folks in charge of publicly-owned companies are so battered by the investment community that it is very easy to completely focus on making the analyst's quarterly estimates, than it is on making your company a world-class leader in the distant future.

And while the comments in the article were dead on, I personally think that the investment community firmly believes that layoffs = increased profits. And in Eisner's world, that's all that matters.

EandCDad
07-24-2001, 02:28 PM
Man, you're making me do something I really don't enjoy.

Although Eisner is clearly evil incarnate, he has done quite a bit in the last 17 years to ensure Disney's stability as a company for the future. I think that the company is still a leader in "family entertainment" and although many of the recent decisions have been stumbles, the company continues to do well overall and provide a positive experience to those who attend theme parks, movies, television, etc., etc. I would be concerned if the company were on the verge of collapse, but that is not even close currently, and Eisner deserves some of the credit for that.

He also deserves the blame for many of the failures in the last several years so please don't remind me of them. I'm aware of the "Hall of Shame."

Doodle Duck
07-24-2001, 05:28 PM
E&CDad...I know this will sound smart aleck and I do NOT mean it to be... but I don't know how else to ask but to ask...

Did you read the Steinberg piece?

Please if you didn't, do so..and pull out the 'HUMAN' element...and the personal tragedy that is being fostered by these policies...precicely because the company is not on the brink, they are wrong.
The turmoil is unnecessary as the article clearly points out. The LONG term is far better served by the alternatives.
This is a short term pin headed campaign that flies in the face of good sense and at the expense of many good families...that's all. Those former employees and their families are no less worthy or valuable than the cold bean counters & investors who have affected their lives.