PDA

View Full Version : Cheap groceries near Disneyland?

hannah
02-14-2003, 12:33 PM
My family of 5, will be going to Disneyland in May. We are staying at the Paradise Pier hotel. I don't want to eat at disneyland if we can help it, the prices were high and I have 2 teenagers to feed! They can really put it down. So here is the question... What kind of grocery stores etc.. are there within a few miles of disneyland. I would like to pick up some snacks, water and some breakfast foods.

Also, we are paying for a City side room, any suggestions on how to get a Parkside room, I have heard some people get them. Is it just who you talk to??

Thanks so much for the help!!!
:) :) :)

DisneyFan25863
02-14-2003, 12:43 PM
First of all, I recommend that you eat at DLR for the sake of simplicity. The last thing you want to do on a vacation is to go grocery shopping!

Also, if you want a parkside room, you can ask if they have any avaible. If they do, they are happy to give you one for no extra charge!

-Have a GREAT time!-

tabacco
02-14-2003, 12:50 PM
Hmm... I know there's a Ralphs at Ball and Brookhurst, but there's got to be a store closer than that.

Bill Catherall
02-14-2003, 12:55 PM
DisneyFan25863 - Since you are still a teenager yourself, I don't think you understand how expensive eating at the DLR can get. We're potentially talking a difference of a few hundred dollars. Well worth the extra effort of grocery shopping.

hannah - Will you have a car? There aren't too many stores within walking distance, but you can find a Food 4 Less or an Albertsons not too far if you want to drive.

Here's the hotel. (http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?BFCat=&Pyt=Tmap&newFL=Use+Address+Below&addr=1150+Magic+Way&csz=anaheim%2C+ca&Country=us&Get%A0Map=Get+Map)

I've been to this Albertsons (http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=Typ&tuid=9605131&ck=2106900384&tab=B2C&ycat=7766835&addr=1150+W+Magic+Way&city=Anaheim&state=CA&zip=92802-2247&country=us&msa=5945&slt=33.812463&sln=-117.926368&cs=9&stat=:pos:8:regular:regT:20:fbT:0) before.

Here's the full listing (http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypResults.py?&&addr=1150+W+Magic+Way&city=Anaheim&state=CA&zip=92802-2247&country=us&msa=5945&slt=33.812463&sln=-117.926368&cs=9&stp=y&stx=7766835) of grocery stores in that area. Look for the Food 4 Less, Vons, or Albertsons.

(Maybe you will consider 1 mile...2 miles round-trip to be walking distance though.)

Darkbeer
02-14-2003, 12:56 PM
The nearest Supermarket is Food4Less (run by Kroger), about one mile west, on Katella. If you have a car, just head South on Disneyland Drive, the first street is katella, make a right, go about a mile, Food4Less is on the left (south side). Food4Less is also the supermarket that usually wins the lowest price supermarket surveys.

http://findstores.kroger.com/storeloc/Details.do?busId=70400310&brandingLabel=food4less&keyword=FOOD4LESS

tod
02-14-2003, 01:01 PM
Many of the grocery stores in the Southland don't say they're grocery stores on their signs. If you see places called Vons or Ralphs, they're grocery stores. Food4Less is less of a surprise.

--T
who used to pick up midnight snacks at the Food4Less at Katella and Brookhurst for the long drive home when he was a CM

MammaSilva
02-14-2003, 01:10 PM
If I remember correctly there is also a Hometown Buffett (or at least 'was' one) in that same strip mall as the Food4Less...or am I thinking of a different grocery store? But with teenagers taking the time to go off property to a buffett might help the food budget...

DisneyFan25863
02-14-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
DisneyFan25863 - Since you are still a teenager yourself, I don't think you understand how expensive eating at the DLR can get. We're potentially talking a difference of a few hundred dollars. Well worth the extra effort of grocery shopping.

Yeah, I guess your right :) (Though your teenager's may not want to go shopping :) I say that from personal experence :D)

MouseWife
02-14-2003, 02:07 PM
I think the first thing to know is if the PP has microwaves. I don't think they do. Not that I recollect.

But, we have done it ourselves on trips. Breakfast cereals, breakfast bars, lunch meats, canned meats, juices, etc.

But, one thing we did do, to help keep up the enjoyment of eating in the room~ we would eat out once a day.

A fast food place with their value menu will give you something to you can sink your teeth into. For us, eating sandwich after sandwich we really need a burger!! Plus, it will give the preparer a time off.

Just a suggestion.

I myself have two teens and an 8 year old. Thank goodness the PP accepts 'kids'. Up to, is it 17?

Have a lot of fun and I know the teens will!!

hannah
02-14-2003, 02:21 PM
Thank you all for the ideas. It will make it alot easier on the wallet feeding 2 teenage boys if we can eat in, at least once a day. We will have a car, we have to because we are from the Northwest and Starbucks in the morning is a must!

Thank you all again!!:) :) :)

HBTiggerFan
02-14-2003, 03:12 PM
Vons, Ralphs, Albertsons, Pavillions are all grocery stores.

Also to save some $$ on eating out when you do, across Harbor, about a 10 minute walk from the main gate is a Mimis Cafe (http://www.mimiscafe.com). Here is a menu (http://www.mimiscafe.com/food.htm) . Their prices are slightly less than DLR for much better food and larger portions and are not inflated for being near Disneyland, nor is the food quality dimished by being near Disneyland (like the Dennys and McDonalds are).

justagrrl
02-14-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by hannah
We will have a car, we have to because we are from the Northwest and Starbucks in the morning is a must!

Oooh... in that case, may I suggest the new one (a drive thru!) on Euclid and Chapman. There's a Ralph's grocery store right across the street.

MetalliKitty
02-15-2003, 10:50 AM
Food 4 Less is great if you are just wanting to shop and save some money, a one shot deal.
Albertsons does have some good deals, but you have to look out for them, i.e. grab a circular as you come in. For the most part I have found that Albertsons tends to be the most expensive grocery store.
If you really REALLY want to save money, and we are talking a LOT of possible savings, then prepare a week or two ahead by clipping coupons from your Sunday paper inserts, asking friends for extras, etc. and then you visit a Vons or Ralphs and get their shopper card (takes two or three minutes, and is worth it) and you match up your coupons with their club specials. Trick is, they double most coupons.
It takes a little longer but you can get some outrageous savings.

Mickeyslittlehelper
02-16-2003, 03:21 PM
In August we went grocery shopping on the first day. We took a cab a few blocks down harbour blvd. to Albertson's. There they have all the food and supplies you would need.

Hope this helps,
John

jslivinski
03-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by MouseWife
I think the first thing to know is if the PP has microwaves. I don't think they do. Not that I recollect. If they don't you might want to consider buying one. You can get a cheap one at Target for about $50.00. The hotel may also rent them.

Harbor Target (about 2 miles from Disneyland)
12100 Harbor Blvd , Garden Grove, CA 92840-4025 USA
Phone: (714) 971-4826
Hours: Mon-Sat 8am to 10pm Sun 8am to 9pm
Pharmacy Phone: (714) 971-0797
Pharmacy Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 7pm Sat 9am to 5:30pm Sun 11am to 3pm
1-Hr Photo Lab Phone: (714) 703-9355
1-Hr Photo Lab Hours: Mon-Sat 9am to 8pm Sun Noon to 6pm

julia
03-04-2003, 07:12 PM
Albertsons gets my vote - there are tons of them in the area; check the phone book and if you need directions, just call the customer service desk. They've got a good selection of food, their prices are good and the stores are really clean.

You might also look at doing one of the Disney dining plans for the teenagers - it is a good way to control price and get some good food at the same time. Food prices are expensive, but the Disney ambiance is so much fun. Check out some of the buffets, too, you would probably get a lot for your money on those all-you-can-eat buffets, like the breakfast buffet at the Storytellers Cafe.

Good luck!
Julia Elzie
juliae@cruisingco.com

disguy
03-04-2003, 07:29 PM
Just a heads up I'd stay away from that food 4 less on Katella it's preety bad IMO there are plenty others closer..

Darkbeer
03-05-2003, 02:46 AM
disguy, there is no other "grocery store" closer to the DLR than the Food4Less on Katella...the maps prove that... (Yes, 7-11's and other small stores are closer....)

Now, the Food4Less in Anaheim is run by Kroger, the same owners that run Ralphs! And many people love the store....

justagrrl
03-05-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
disguy, there is no other "grocery store" closer to the DLR than the Food4Less on Katella...the maps prove that... (Yes, 7-11's and other small stores are closer....)

Now, the Food4Less in Anaheim is run by Kroger, the same owners that run Ralphs! And many people love the store....

I can't stand that store. We live in the area and I would rather drive out of my way then go to that one.

disguy
03-05-2003, 08:42 AM
Well like I said just my opinion. I went there on a friday night I saw some steak that looked very green, and the people shopping there well, lets just say I did not think it was a safe place to bring a family. If you have a car I'd say keep on driving. ;)