PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn soft open

Morrigoon
02-14-2003, 02:21 AM
Unless I've been totally clueless and it opened officially already... it was soft-open today, and we rode it!

Actually not too many major changes that I noticed (we were on B side, for what it's worth). Certain places are MUCH darker than before, like the initial climb, and some effects were clearly not operational yet. One of the Harolds wasn't working, and there was no permanencer sentados at the end. But too early to tell if it's removed or just no-op yet.

What I did notice is that they're running the initial safety spiel in so many languages that I never heard it in English!

Matterhorn Fan
02-14-2003, 04:35 AM
The initial climb has been pretty dark for a while. Or, at least it was last summer, as I recall.

Originally posted by Morrigoon
and there was no permanencer sentados at the end. But too early to tell if it's removed or just no-op yet. :eek: Oh no! That's classic!

Will someone tell Harold I say hello?

Lashbear
02-14-2003, 04:48 AM
....Please don't tell me that the Abominable Snowman (both of him) is called "Harold" :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

rexfarms
02-14-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Lashbear
....Please don't tell me that the Abominable Snowman (both of him) is called "Harold" :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Thats what the CMs call him.

Lashbear
02-14-2003, 09:41 PM
Hehehehe !

Well, 'Harold' scared the living daylights out of me the first time I came across him !! :)

PurpleDove33
02-15-2003, 12:40 AM
I rode it twice today. The first time on the left side in the daytime. Then the right side the last thing we did. One thing I didn't remember from the left side was just after you go in and make that turn, you hear the growl or what ever you want to call it and I wasn't expecting it and it scared the living daylights out of me and I jumped sky high. For me I did notice that the right side is a little smoother that the left side. I also noticed, maybe they haven't gotten it working yet, but when you pass the crystals, there was no fog. And while we were in line about noonish, they were still testing the waterfalls. They were turning them on and off. It was so nice to see the matterhor finally back open.

MammaSilva
02-15-2003, 03:22 AM
Whooo Hoooo great news :) We're hoping to be down in April and Brandy would have been so dissapointed if it were still "broken". It's her favorite ride in the park!

Matterhorn Fan
02-15-2003, 06:02 AM
Brandy sounds cool. :cool:

For the record, though--the Matterhorn wasn't "broken." It was closed because the Abominable Snowman was on vacation! ;)

MammaSilva
02-15-2003, 07:29 AM
LOL MF, she saw all the scaffoling and stuff when we were there in Dec/Jan and said Momma who broke my blue ride....

Merlin
02-15-2003, 07:35 AM
Any comment on the rumor that

Alongside just one of the attraction's two tracks, WDI has carved out a new ice cave where Harold purportedly lives. This new little show scene can only be seen from one of the two tracks...

Going today to ride...:D

merlin

drjones
02-15-2003, 09:03 AM
went on both tracks yesterday, the left one is smoother and you get to see harold twice in full view while the right track, you see the eyes first, then full harold, then shadowy harold. another thing i think is new is the queue announcer with the "german accent" up until you enter the mountain where he tells you " auf weidershen" (sp)

tod
02-15-2003, 05:12 PM
Can we refer to the two sides as the "Alice side" and the "Submarine side" just for optimum clarity? Or something else non-ambiguous? "Left" and "right" are frustrating: Left facing the mountain? Right from the mountain's POV? (Cf. in anatomy the "right arm" is the patient's right arm, not the one on the right as you face the patient.)

Please be clear. If you don't like "Alice side" and "Submarine side" make up your own terms. That's what I did.

--T

YellowMan
02-15-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by tod
Can we refer to the two sides as the "Alice side" and the "Submarine side" just for optimum clarity? Or something else non-ambiguous? "Left" and "right" are frustrating: Left facing the mountain? Right from the mountain's POV? (Cf. in anatomy the "right arm" is the patient's right arm, not the one on the right as you face the patient.)

Please be clear. If you don't like "Alice side" and "Submarine side" make up your own terms. That's what I did.

--T I'm pretty sure that by left and right people mean left and right when facing the mountain from the station. Or from where the queue splits at the loading station (if they are running both sides from one queue). At least that's the way I've always referred to them.

AVP
02-15-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by tod

We, (my husband and I we, not the Royal MousePad We), have always referred to them as the "Fantasyland" side and the "Tomorrowland" side.

Of course, there's always the "good" side vs. the "bad" side, which leads to the 7th Deadly Issue That Will Cause A Debate On A Disneyland Discussion Board - which side is which?

AVP

DisneyFan25863
02-15-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by AVP
We, (my husband and I we, not the Royal MousePad We)

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Tigertail777
02-16-2003, 01:08 AM
I heard they got rid of the "cinnamon tacos" por favor load spiel (sorry I dunno what its really saying) is this true? Is there a spanish spiel eleswhere in the que or something? it seems odd that all other rides would have spanish spiel and not this? Oh and what is this german spiel thing? sounds kinda cool, but if its there for a actual warning, pointless...how many park goers know german? Please let me know if you know, ya know?
:confused:

HBTiggerFan
02-16-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
I heard they got rid of the "cinnamon tacos" por favor load spiel (sorry I dunno what its really saying)

umm... Cinnamon toast and tacos on the floor? :D

permanencer sentados por favor. (took me a loooong time to be able to say that correctly too...I still just say "reamin seated please, cinnamon toast and tacos on the floor" :D

Pirate33
02-16-2003, 04:40 PM
I am too far away to check this out for myself, but photos I've seen seem to show some changes around the boarding area. For instance, the lights seem different, and there seems to be a little walkway from the employee away near the sleds up and over to the pools which the sleds dunk into at the end. Any observations on this?