PDA

View Full Version : Flag Retreat

Pages : [1] 2

dawnid
01-08-2010, 11:38 AM
So in all the times and all these years I've never watched the flag retreat and my son is due to get out of boot camp in 12 days. He expressed before he went in that he wanted to go to Disneyland in uniform to watch this ceremony. Do they do something or include people in uniform during this ceremony?

Drince88
01-08-2010, 11:46 AM
The current version of the Flag Retreat ceremony requests that all Veterans and Active Duty Military personnel set forward either at the beginning of the ceremony, or when they're "song" is played. They do not have to be in uniform to participate in this ceremony.

There was talk that it might be abbreviated soon, and there some speculation on what that might mean in a thread I'll find and provide a link to.

My favorite memory of DL flag retreats is when a young, obviously active duty Marine stepped forward, as well as some older Marines (never ex-Marine :)) and the older men SWARMED the younger man as soon as the ceremony was over to compare notes/experiences/whatever it is that Marines of mulitple generations do in that situation. It made me smile to see the interaction.

I don't think Disney would stop him from entering (provided he's not carrying a weapon as part of his uniform), but I don't recall seeing many men or women in uniform in Disneyland.

(You're not counting the days or anything, are you Mom?)

MammaSilva
01-08-2010, 11:54 AM
If he does go in uniform, bring a change of clothes for him just in case. If he has his dress blues, talk him into wearing them...he'll get a lot of positive attention! When my nephew graduated boot camp he wore his service alphas (the green jacket/pants Khaki shirt, he didn't own his dress blues yet) several places and finally asked if it was OK to wear civilian clothes to be 'more comfortable'. Your son might be fine but it's nice to be prepared.

dawnid
01-08-2010, 02:48 PM
I am definately counting the days. :)

He is an ex-cast member and I think he wanted to show off his new uniform to his friends there. I will make the suggesting that he bring a change of clothes for when the sun goes down.

darph nader
01-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I need to bring my dad to DL for the Retreat sometime. He's Air Force retired. :cool:

Bytebear
01-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Congrats, Dawnid,

I love the flag ceremoy. The band marches down Main Street to the flagpole, but my favorite memory was from Veterans' Day where they do a special ceremony, and all the employees who are veterans follow the band, and enter the circle when their branch song is played. The entire center block was completely overflowing with veterans. It was breathtaking and humbling.

kfreak
01-08-2010, 11:12 PM
As a Veteran I have never taken part of the Flag Retreat. I never knew that you were able to. I am still unsure if I would even knowing now that I could. Its a nice thing to see people actually show appreciation for what we have done, but like I have said before we all do it for our own reasons. I hope they dont change it though. I know for some Veterans the fact that people show they care means a lot to them. I know that some of the Vietnam Veterans actually thanked the first Gulf War Veterans for giving them back the respect that they felt had been taken away. So in honor of those guys, and all the rest of us, I hope they leave it as it is.

orchid2
01-09-2010, 03:40 AM
I always enjoy being there for the flag retreat Disney does a wonderful job of bring pride to our flag, thank you Disney for that. The sea of retired and current men and women serving (served) in the armed services at this flag bring tears to ones eyes, It warms ones heart to know that these young people of today want to wear their uniform any where they go and do it in pride, sadly it wasn't that way for us, the Vietnam Vets. Also the flag in the Electrical Parade is wonderful many times people stand as it goes by and clap their hands, I know our family does. To your son thank you for wearing your countries uniform in pride.

K & S
01-09-2010, 07:40 PM
If you tell me what day your son and his proud mom will be there, I'd love to be there to cheer him on! Maybe some other MPer's could be there too.

Congrats, you've raised a great son.

:)

yohomama212
01-09-2010, 08:55 PM
It was a couple years ago now, I was at the park for a little day trip with the kids and we ended the day with Flag Retreat. There was an older gentleman there, a Marine, in his dress blues. I remember seeing his wife wheel him in from the entrance before the ceremony and out afterward. When they started playing the Marine Corp Anthem, he slowly and shakily rose and stepped forward, standing at attention through the whole program. As soon as it was over, his wife had to bring the wheelchair to him, he couldn't make the few steps back to his chair on his own. It was the most moving thing I have ever seen, I cried like a baby through the whole thing just watching this Marine proudly step up and represent himself and his military brothers.

Thank you to all the military members and families here. <3

Elizabeth

dawnid
01-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Thank you to everyone who posted, you brought tears to my eyes. The next 60 hours or so are going to be hard. They go through an endurance training excercise called The Crucible starting tonight and I just worry that he'll break something and not make it to graduation. If all goes well he will get his Eagle, Globe and Anchor on Thrusday and we're home free.

I couldn't imagine going through this and having to deal with people's ignorance and down right mean behavior that Vet's of Vietnam had to endure.

I will definately post when we are going to the park. Your support is greatly appreciated!!

MammaSilva
01-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Covering your recruit in prayers as he starts the biggest challenge of his training. Know that he's not doing this alone, his brothers are with him and will help him thru the next 60 hours and will be by his side celebrating at the Warriors breakfast as they receive their EGA! Just think, in 60 hours you will no longer be Recruit mom you will officially join the ranks of a Marine mom, and remember what they say, ain't nuthin meaner than a Marine except his mamma! ;) Oooh Rah!

orchid2
01-12-2010, 05:44 AM
My thoughts are with you in the next few hours...mom he'll do just fine... he doesn't stand alone but in a very large group of wonderful men who won't let him down nor will he them... with many before him and after him they will carry on... I promised myself that not another group of wonderful men/women would ever go thru what we had to....happy to say our uniforms can now be worn in pride .... stay tough mom it's easy to say but hard to do I know.... my prays are with you and your son.... Vietnam Vet

MouseyEars
01-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Disneyland Flag Retreat now has a page on Facebook...Please check it out:)

Rkkm
01-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Please do encourage your wonderful son to participate in the ceremony. It will be a cherished lifelong memory for both of you. My Marine husband (retired) and I will include him and you in our prayers. Thank you for raising such a fine young man. He - and you - are what makes our country great.

Rkkm
01-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Disneyland Flag Retreat now has a page on Facebook...Please check it out:)

How cool! Thanks for the info - this is why I LOVE MousePad!!!

bluuth
01-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Semper fi!

All the men in my family have served in the Marines. I have nothing but the deepest respect and gratitude for those who have served our country. Thank you to your son and all the vets here on the board.

And remember - Marines are a department of the Navy - the Men's department.

kfreak
01-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Semper fi!

All the men in my family have served in the Marines. I have nothing but the deepest respect and gratitude for those who have served our country. Thank you to your son and all the vets here on the board.

And remember - Marines are a department of the Navy - the Men's department.

Actually they are the little boys dept.

Rkkm
01-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Actually they are the little boys dept.

Obviously, you have never known a Marine!

kfreak
01-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Obviously, you have never known a Marine!

US Navy Loud and Proud. lol

Back to the subject of the thread I really hope they keep it is it has been.

dawnid
01-14-2010, 07:54 AM
I debated whether to start a new post or not but opted to just add on here. My son made it thru the crucible so he is official a Marine now. Very relieved and happy that now I can plan on him being home in a week and we can make a trip to Disneyland. :)

bennette
01-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Congrats! I know you are very relieved. :)

disneyfn
01-14-2010, 08:24 AM
And to add to the Flag Retreat, if you can, go to Great Moments with Mr Lincoln about an hour before Flag Retreat. You will need about 30 min. But to leave Lincoln and then go to Flag Retreat is really special.:)

MammaSilva
01-14-2010, 09:37 AM
I debated whether to start a new post or not but opted to just add on here. My son made it thru the crucible so he is official a Marine now. Very relieved and happy that now I can plan on him being home in a week and we can make a trip to Disneyland. :)

Congratulations to your son and to you! Welcome to the family!!!! There's a reason the saying is 'The Few, The Proud" not everyone is cut out to be a Marine and even those who think they want the title don't always have the stuff to survive boot camp and come out the other side earning the right to walk the parade deck as a Marine. You have every reason to be bursting buttons proud of that boy of yours...now to graduation...get there REALLY early and you get to see them practicing in their cammies on the parade deck. You can't talk to him but there's just something about being there as dawn is breaking and hearing them march in....and I'm only an Auntie ... there really aren't words for how you'll feel when you get to hug him right after they get dismissed for family day!

Missy and her cousin on his family day right after his EGA ceremony.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/album.php?albumid=465&pictureid=3800

Drince88
01-14-2010, 10:24 AM
I still really liked the billboard I saw a couple years back. Face shot of a Marine in dress blues filling up the height of a billboard - and the words "We don't accept applications, just commitments."

Congrats to both of you on making it through!