PDA

View Full Version : On the topic of rude...

Pages : [1] 2

gerberdaisy
01-07-2010, 09:36 AM
After reading about rude people, I wonder if what I did one evening would be considered rude...(i don't think so, but wonder how other would have handled it) We had been sitting on a curb on MS waiting for fireworks for about 20 mins. We were asked to stand by a CM because it was getting close to fireworks time!!

There were 2 people to my right and a garbage can next to them and my family/friends to my left...NO room to walk between any of us. Well, as you can imagine, people decided the 6 inches of space was their walkway. After several people coming through with their people, and me standing with my legs a little wider nothing was helping.

After about 10 mins of this, someone came to walk though and stopped in front of me expecting me to move. I finally said "Really? Like you really are going to walk through here?" (Yes, there was slight attitude) He looked shocked and turned and walked away, and as he and his 6 people walked away they gave me dirty looks like I was wrong....

Was I in the wrong for not letting people off Main Street on to the sidewalks? I go to DL about 3 times a year and always wonder what should or should not be done when people try to make a pathway where there really is none...

Thanks!

disneylandgirl
01-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Was I in the wrong for not letting people off Main Street on to the sidewalks?

So, you were on the sidewalk, and they were in the street trying to get onto the sidewalk? I'd say you were wrong... sorry. From what I understand, during fireworks, they try to get everyone who wants to stand into the street, and everyone who wants to walk onto the sidewalk. You should have been standing in the street to watch fireworks. But let me know if I'm wrong!

gerberdaisy
01-07-2010, 10:48 AM
We still had about another 15-20 mins until the actual start time, and did move to the street about 5 mins before they began. I guess because we were standing there on the curb I was just surprised people still made a pathway, and after sitting there so long with people walking through/over us I had had enough and was irritated. Next time when asked to stand, we will just move to the street...

Now I guess I wonder, what do you say/do when sitting on the curb and waiting with people making a path through you(before being asked to stand) :confused:

Thanks :) Just want to make sure I don't say anything I will regret later

mechurchlady
01-07-2010, 10:49 AM
There are walkways at each end of Main Street and at Center Street. It is very rude to try to walk over people setting on the curb. Even if the CM told everyone to stand up that does not mean people should be walking over people.

kfreak
01-07-2010, 11:33 AM
It is very rude to try to walk over people setting on the curb.

i agree that people were being rude by just walking over you. I would never do that without first saying excuse me can I get through with my group. Then once the person says its ok I would go. Now as far as what you had done it could be a little rude. As you were already mad from rude people doing it for awhile before hand then I guess it might be a little excused, but not much. Next time just say well you could always ask me to move over a little for you to get through that way you make them feel like an *** for being rude to you.

mechurchlady
01-07-2010, 12:14 PM
During a parade I was sitting on the curb and the walkway was about 5 feet away. They still tried to walk through the seated crowd. People want to get from point A to point B via the shortest path even if it means stepping on people.

leota's necklace
01-07-2010, 05:13 PM
I am astonished by how few people actually say "excuse me," much less make eye contact when doing so, when they are trying to get through a crowd. Frankly, someone pushing by muttering "scusemeh" is usually the best I get and it annoys me enough to want to bend down to make eye contact with a big smile and say, "I'm sorry, what was that? Did you want to get through here? Well, why didn't you SAY so?" and then step aside with a grand gesture. "You're WELCOME!"

D1Prnzs
01-09-2010, 11:38 PM
It is rude for people to climb over you especially if they didn't come up and ask if they can get by. I can understand why you got irritated at the end.

I was at Disneyland on a day without crowd control for the fireworks show so people decided to make a pathway through the crowd of people sitting in front of the castle rather than walk around on the sidewalk in front of the castle. I was really irritated because I had a handicapped sister that was sitting on the ground. I had to stand over her where the crowd was trying to make a pathway to ask people not to step on her because people kept stepping on her. Then a brilliant man tried to ram a stroller through the crowd through a space that barely fits one person and he asked me to move my wheelchair back a bit (I had my 90 year old grandmother in it). We tried to make the guy go back, but there was a huge line of people behind him trying to walk through this "path". I went to move the wheelchair and sure enough someone kicked my sister and stepped on her. She was in tears and I was livid! At that point, other people sitting down and standing-up around me started yelling at the crowd of people trying to walk through the nonexistent path and then moved into the "path" and refused to move to stop the traffic. This was all about 15 minutes before the fireworks show by the way. You all know how crowded the streets are in front of the castle. A path through the crowd is ludicrous!

It's ridiculous for Disney to be cheap and not have people directing traffic during parade/show times. Even if it's a "slow" day, they should have crowd control to prevent serious injury. It's negligent in my opinion and they're lucky my sister wasn't seriously hurt. How does it look for Disney if their negligence lead to a handicapped child getting trampled in their park because they wanted to save a few hundred dollars paying a handful of employees to direct traffic?

Disneyland1955
01-10-2010, 01:42 AM
I agree, I think it is so rude and it gets old really fast. Something like that ALWAYS happens to me. Drives me crazy. I always have the same problem when im waiting for the fireworks. If im going to see them I wait and switch off with my family. In my opinion it's worth it I love the fireworks. The problem that we have EVERY SINGLE TIME is when FOR EXAMPLE I go to relieve my mom and sister so they can go on some rides and from 6 pm and on people will FLOCK the bench the SECOND they get up. I try to tell the nicely that im saving the seats and they get upset. By the tenth time i get a little irritated. This last time I went to Disneyland, this lady got in my face as if she wanted to fight (scared me) and yelling said your not allowed to save a bench!!!ITS CRAZY! At the end of the day we dont let it get to us. BECAUSE WERE IN DISNEYLAND!!!!!!

orchid2
01-10-2010, 04:16 AM
One thing lacking at Disneyland is the crowd control I must agree with that. If you were on the curb and sitting it's rude for anyone to walk over you, they do have openings at each end of Main Street and in the center for people to pass thru. Bye the way if you give people an inch they will sit it in. I've stood for a show long time before to get a good place only to have people push their children in front of me at the last minute and say they're short well that doesn't matter you want them in the front then come more then 5 minutes before the show starts. Yes Disney needs to get people on the crowd control that care and tell people what to do and not just stand there. No people shouldn't be walking over the top of you, stop being so nice and bark back at people. At the Electric Parade we grab a bench and all sat on it 45 minutes before the show about 25 minutes later my son stood up walk to get a drink and with in moments a lady sat in his seat we told her very nicely that "that seat is taken" she got up and left...never once asked if this part of a bench was free... people are rude every place so watch your seats even for just a moment. Very sorry your group with the handicap and wheelchair persons where hurt, that just breaks my heart how people can be towards others who can't defend themselves, it's so unbelievable the way of the world today. Perhaps Disney should make an area upfront for people with handicaps and I mean people who live in their wheelchairs/scooter and not ones rented at Disneyland people who are truly disabled, so they don't get hurt in a crowd.

Nana58
01-10-2010, 09:18 AM
I agree, I think it is so rude and it gets old really fast. Something like that ALWAYS happens to me. Drives me crazy. I always have the same problem when I'm waiting for the fireworks. If I'm going to see them I wait and switch off with my family. In my opinion it's worth it I love the fireworks. The problem that we have EVERY SINGLE TIME is when FOR EXAMPLE I go to relieve my mom and sister so they can go on some rides and from 6 pm and on people will FLOCK the bench the SECOND they get up. I try to tell the nicely that I'm saving the seats and they get upset. By the tenth time i get a little irritated. This last time I went to Disneyland, this lady got in my face as if she wanted to fight (scared me) and yelling said your not allowed to save a bench!!!ITS CRAZY! At the end of the day we dint let it get to us. BECAUSE WERE IN DISNEYLAND!!!!!!

I have to admit people "saving" benches and stuff gets annoying. Why do you get to save a seat while your family is off enjoying the rides. What about someone who has no one to save a seat and gets to an empty seat on a bench and is willing to stay there the entire time. I understand your point of view, but you need to see others point of view also. It's the same as saving a place in line for a bunch of folks while they go ride the other rides and show up in line at the last minute and push there way to the front, because someone "saved" their place in line.

Crazy4DL
01-10-2010, 09:37 AM
I hear ya, Nana58.

The rudeness that really gets to me, is those people that simply put down blankets, jackets, or empty strollers as their "marker" that the space is theirs. No one even stays sitting with the stuff. :eyeroll:

Why it is allowed is beyond me. :confused:

houseofmouse
01-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Jackets on benches? Yeah no, that does not mean it is your bench. If you are not sitting with your jacket, I will take and put it on the ground or turn it in as a lost item.:eek: I never have done that but....

Bytebear
01-10-2010, 10:17 AM
I hear ya, Nana58.

The rudeness that really gets to me, is those people that simply put down blankets, jackets, or empty strollers as their "marker" that the space is theirs. No one even stays sitting with the stuff. :eyeroll:

Why it is allowed is beyond me. :confused:

That really has gotten out of hand. In years past, the CMs would just scoop up blankets and send them to lost and found. I think they need to start doing that again.

As to the OP, both people were rude, but rudeness should not be responded to with rudeness. I don't know the best solution, but I think it's good practice to ask, "May I come through here" but that's something that's been gone from polite society for a very long time.

kfreak
01-10-2010, 03:31 PM
As to the OP, both people were rude, but rudeness should not be responded to with rudeness. I don't know the best solution, but I think it's good practice to ask, "May I come through here" but that's something that's been gone from polite society for a very long time.

Actually its not gone from polite society, both my Fiancee, and I do it. And you better believe when we have children they will learn the same things. I have learned over the years that you always try politeness first, then if you dont get through that way you are allowed to be mean.

Disneyland1955
01-10-2010, 04:29 PM
I don't do it to upset anyone.... it's the only way to get good seats, and im not sitting their by myself I have someone else with me I dont mind switching on and off with my family. Were so used to its now, a traditional thing to camp for the fireworks one night out of the trip. I learned to save seats after not getting a good view of the fireworks because of the crowed and the OTHER PEOPLE that save the seats at an earlier time as well. And if they offered seating like they do fantasmic I would pay for it, but they don't. So it doesnt bother me. And for those it does bother................ like I said if they offered seating like fantasmic I would be more then happy to just make reservations. Sorry to all of those who disagree...really. My family and I don't intend to upset anyone. AND sometimes if its only me and my Girlfriend we don't care if another family sits on the same bench but if its all of us we take up a whole bench theirs 6 of us including a 3 year old.:)

Disneyland1955
01-10-2010, 04:44 PM
That really has gotten out of hand. In years past, the CMs would just scoop up blankets and send them to lost and found. I think they need to start doing that again.

I agree!!!!

D1Prnzs
01-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't do it to upset anyone.... it's the only way to get good seats, and im not sitting their by myself I have someone else with me I dont mind switching on and off with my family. Were so used to its now, a traditional thing to camp for the fireworks one night out of the trip. I learned to save seats after not getting a good view of the fireworks because of the crowed and the OTHER PEOPLE that save the seats at an earlier time as well. And if they offered seating like they do fantasmic I would pay for it, but they don't. So it doesnt bother me. And for those it does bother................ like I said if they offered seating like fantasmic I would be more then happy to just make reservations. Sorry to all of those who disagree...really. My family and I don't intend to upset anyone. AND sometimes if its only me and my Girlfriend we don't care if another family sits on the same bench but if its all of us we take up a whole bench theirs 6 of us including a 3 year old.:)

I'm with you. I don't think it's rude to save a seating area for your party. Especially since you most likely had to camp out in front of the Castle around 4-5:30pm (a little before the parade) in order to get a bench or several hours later if you want a spot in the street. I think it's rude when people make you feel like you're selfish and doing something wrong when you gave-up hours of riding rides and spending time with your friends and family. It's the only way to get a good view of the fireworks show and that's the trade-off. Most people aren't willing to sit around for 4-5 hours so they shouldn't cop an attitude when you don't let them take your spot 20 minutes before the show starts.

I camp-out at least once everytime they have a new fireworks show (maybe an additional time if some of the stunts weren't working that night). In my experience, most people save only as much space as they need and only take-up an entire bench if they need it. And there's nothing wrong with people putting blankets on the ground. I see kids laying on those blankets and I if I had kids, I wouldn't want them on the ground without the blankets because they have horses that poop on the streets!

On the topic of rude, there was one time when I had a bench seat and I parked a wheelchair in front of me. I stook up two minutes before the the fireworks show started to set-up my video camera and this lady came in and dived into my seat. She waved her family over and before I knew it there were two additional small adults sitting on her lap. I didn't want to get into a confrontation and have it ruin my day because I was going to stand anyways for the show that was going to start soon so I let it go. Right before the show started, I turned around and she had taken off her shoes and propped them onto my backpack that was on the back of the wheelchair my sister was sitting in. That was beyond rude! I couldn't help but flash a disgusted look on my face. She's lucky the show started immediately after I discovered her gross rudeness because I had lost it by then and I was ready to tell her off.

D1Prnzs
01-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Actually its not gone from polite society, both my Fiancee, and I do it. And you better believe when we have children they will learn the same things. I have learned over the years that you always try politeness first, then if you dont get through that way you are allowed to be mean.

Couldn't agree with you more. I always try to be polite with people first, they'll only look like an a** if they're rude to a polite person and they might feel bad about it afterwards if they have a conscience.

I had to ask to walk through people one time to get into the streets and the lady I asked seemed a bit irritated, but she was probably frustrated because she had gotten kicked earlier and her child stepped on. She just asked me to be careful because she was 8 months pregnant. It was a fair request and I didn't take any offense. She cooled off after seeing how polite and careful I was that she vented her frustrations and woes to me and apologized if she came off rude.

orchid2
01-10-2010, 07:05 PM
I think saving one place on a bench for less then 5 minutes while one of our family members get a drink is not at all out of line. What's out of line is people in the last few minutes before the show pushing their way in front of you then hurting your children by pushing shoving, and stepping on them. Yet your children have been waiting there for an hour to see the show not riding the rides sitting there waiting.

houseofmouse
01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Nope don't agree. Unless one member of your family is sitting with the jackets, it's rude. Why are these people any more special than anyone else to think it is okay to lay a jacket down, leave and then have the nerve to say,"Hey that's my spot, don't you see my jacket!" :eyeroll:

Tinkermommy
01-10-2010, 07:51 PM
And there's nothing wrong with people putting blankets on the ground. I see kids laying on those blankets and I if I had kids, I wouldn't want them on the ground without the blankets because they have horses that poop on the streets!

I think they're talking about people who spread out blankets to "save" their spot, then leave the blankets with nobody on them.

darph nader
01-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Why can't Disney go back to simpler times when the fire works could be watched from 'anywhere' in the park and wasn't such a 'spectacular'? :crying: 8-10 mins and everyone went back to the sides they were near. :confused:

Disneyland1955
01-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Thank you D1Prnzs.

D1Prnzs
01-11-2010, 02:54 AM
I think they're talking about people who spread out blankets to "save" their spot, then leave the blankets with nobody on them.

Nana58 made a comment that it is rude for people to save spots for their family/friends and said its unfair for people who don't have anyone to save spots for them. People who sit and save spots for their family/friends spend a lot of time by themselves and not having fun with their friends/family. Most of the time, the group members will take turns because it's no fun holding down the fort and having strangers be mean to you when you're not doing anything wrong. If you want a bench or a good spot for the fireworks in front of the castle, then you're going to have to decide if sacrificing all of that time is worth it to you. For most people, the answer is no so they don't bother. Don't get huffy with people who patiently sat around for 5+ hours just because you want to sit on a bench that they're saving for their family/friends.

Sorry Nana58, that you think it's unfair. If you're polite to people and show-up at the castle around 5pm, you'll find that some people are very accomodating and will include you as part of their group if you relieve the lonely person sitting there so they can join their family for one ride if you'll save their seating area for them (most of the time they'll decline your offer but they'll warm-up to you and try to help you out). One person in the group will be more than happy to stand or sit on the ground if they see you're a sweet and elderly person. There are still plenty of nice and courteous people out there, not everyone was raised to be mean and nasty.

Other people commented about specifically marking their spot and leaving which I agree with is rude. They're right that someone should be there at all times with their blankets and jackets, it's inconsiderate to other people who are willing to wait for hours on end for a good spot for you to mark your spot and then leave.

Campers just get irritated with people who show up right before the show and think they can shove (stepping and kicking other people in the process) their way into a spot someone was saving for their family/friends for hours on end. The final straw for campers is when the rude stranger wants to fight with you if you politely tell them that you were saving that spot. We're at Disneyland people!!!