PDA

View Full Version : One of the worst things that happened in my trip

Pages : [1] 2 3

mswong40
01-06-2010, 07:16 AM
So I guess I dont know what the deal was......or maybe it was just the fact that the parks were very busy.....etc. I was at DL and CA 12/26-12/28.

I enjoyed my time a lot, had a blast....got on many rides considering the large lines and etc.

Well I had a minor situation going from Fantasyland into Frontierland. Right after passing the bathrooms by Village Haus this woman with a Disney single stroller was behind me, we were walking pretty quickly and there was a lot of people in front of me.....well this woman apparently thought that ramming her stroller at my ankles would speed up the crowd ahead of me......like I was going to rush the people in front of me.....well she did this like 4 times and each time it was a bit more violently........I was seriously almost willing to punch her in the face!! (I know thats wrong) BUT she was deliberately doing it on purpose and at one point I was able to remove myself from that area and I saw she did it to another person in front of me. :mad: Mind you this was a short distance because there was a crowd waiting to get into the Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue, and people were waiting to take pics with Jessie in the Photo op by the BTMR background.

Needless to say that is the first time I have ever encountered something like this.........and quite honestly it really made me mad, and when I think about it I get mad again. I know people get bent out of shape and etc. But this woman was doing it on purpose....also I should mention when they saw that Jessie was there....they tried to get to Jessie even though they saw that there was a line that was waiting for their turn?!!!

Please enlighten me with a similar situation or what the protocal is in this situation (s)?

Tinkermommy
01-06-2010, 07:39 AM
I think when it happened the second time, it would have been reasonable for you to say something. You don't have to be mean; just a simple, loud "You probably don't realize that you're hitting my feet with your stroller" will usually bring it to a person's attention -- or shame them into stopping.

I can remember two in-park incidents over the past few years that I thought were nuts. One was a boy shoving my daughter (I don't remember the circumstances; just being shocked into inaction). The other was a crazy woman who, in the mass of cheek-to-cheek humanity watching the holiday fireworks years ago, started shoving my back. There was nowhere to go, and I was holding my daughter, and she kept pushing me. I asked her to stop, and she told me to get out of her way. If not for the mass of people, we would have fallen. Even the people around me were shocked. It was horrible, and I still get angry when I think about it.

I'm sorry you had to experience that. Unfortunately, there are badly behaved people everywhere. We just don't expect (or want) to encounter them at our happy place. :(

KDCartoons
01-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Please enlighten me with a similar situation or what the protocal is in this situation (s)?

The protocol for it is: you stop in mind track turn around, stare her right in the eyes and scream at the top of your lungs " STOP <BLEEPING> DOING THAT!!!"
Tell her to slow the heck down, STOP RAMMING HER STROLLER INTO YOU, and to back off.

Keep yelling to get her attention ( and the attention of the CMs)--make a scene--a BIG scene.
Use the word "assault", as in " if you assault me one more time, I will scream for the police".
Act aggressive until assistance shows up and then just switch off the anger.
Do all of this consciously and deliberately--you are aiming to solve a problem for not only you, but this other person.

If the perp is so dull-witted that they cannot grasp what they are doing is wrong, then they need some pretty startling actions to knock some sense into them--if its possible. Embarrassing them is a great tool to use to change their behaviours.
Some nitwits will behave like that, and then try to ignore and avoid the confrontation--don't let them evade until all eyes are on them.

After all, if she seems bound and determined to spoil the Disney visits of those around her, so why not <gleefully> return the favour and spoil it for her too?

lauramaynot
01-06-2010, 08:00 AM
I have had that happen to me too. :| I am not sure why but some people like to use their strollers as battering rams...having been behind a stroller a few times in my life, they can be hard to navigate in a stop/go crowd - but if your driving the stroller it is your responsibility to pay attention and focus on driving the stroller. It is one of the many reasons I hate taking strollers to DL - a good babycarrier is worth it's weight in gold ;)

mechurchlady
01-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Once I was at the tram waiting to board. In front of me was a couple and their toddler. Behind me was a man with a child on his chest in a carrier. He started leaning on my back and I started yelling at him in Spanish and English to stop. I do not know how I kept him at bay but if I had let him push me then there would be 3 dead tourists as they would have been shoved in front of a tram.

This Sunday was National Rude Day as far as I am concerned. the 49ers are playing when a woman discusses with her little girl that she must use a wet wipe on her face. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and so the crowd has to watch a woman leaning on her kid scrubbing its face.

When we were waiting for the 49ers a man scolded his boys for using me and Mom to run around. Little brother upset over big brother declaring it is his lght saber, people nearly getting clobbered by the light saber and the kids running around screaming.

Walking up Main Steet to leave a woman pushed past us in a stroller and cut in front of us. Mom kicked the back of her legs and taught the cow a lesson. I was keeping up with the rump in front of me so why pass me up and then cut back into the crowd.

I was waiting in line for a sink to open up and a broad darted past everyone. I just waddled up to that sink and stuck my hands. I snarled that there was a line.

I snarled at a woman "Thanks for stepping on my hand" after her precious sweet cute little girl stepped on my hand. The woman told her friends that the kid on weighs 22 pounds. Yep, it is ok for her kid to run around the crowd and keep people from talking to the restaurant's hostess.

At the tree house I was bellowing MOVE, and a group of about 8 people took up over half the walkway and there was no way to get strollers and wheelchairs past them. I was nice and tried excuse me. I tired over and over to get them to realize that they were blocking a walk way.

If someone is really rude like your lady I would stop and turn around. Explain to her that she was doing damage and to please stay a few feet from me. If that did not work then I would get a CM preferably security or a manager if I saw one.

Rockchalker
01-06-2010, 08:21 AM
I am more tolerant if someone is rude to me. (Defining rude as pushing into me, stepping on my feet, hitting me with their stroller or electric wheelchair, etc.) BUT if my kids are involved, you will get the horns.

When we at DLR in December a woman kept trying to push through my 7 year DD and I. We were walking on Main Street towards the castle and it was quite crowded. My DD and I were holding hands so we would not get separated and this woman kept trying to break through us. After the third attempt I said to the woman that it she touched my daughter again she would regret it.

She backed off real fast.

Hannahbelle
01-06-2010, 08:41 AM
The protocol for it is: you stop in mind track turn around, stare her right in the eyes and scream at the top of your lungs " STOP <BLEEPING> DOING THAT!!!"
Tell her to slow the heck down, STOP RAMMING HER STROLLER INTO YOU, and to back off.

Keep yelling to get her attention ( and the attention of the CMs)--make a scene--a BIG scene.
Use the word "assault", as in " if you assault me one more time, I will scream for the police".
Act aggressive until assistance shows up and then just switch off the anger.
Do all of this consciously and deliberately--you are aiming to solve a problem for not only you, but this other person.

If the perp is so dull-witted that they cannot grasp what they are doing is wrong, then they need some pretty startling actions to knock some sense into them--if its possible. Embarrassing them is a great tool to use to change their behaviours.
Some nitwits will behave like that, and then try to ignore and avoid the confrontation--don't let them evade until all eyes are on them.

After all, if she seems bound and determined to spoil the Disney visits of those around her, so why not <gleefully> return the favour and spoil it for her too?

Yeah!! --what they said!!!

Come on people, this is Disneyland! I am constantly amazed at the ignorance of some people! Don't they realize that a stroller wheel in the ankle HURTS!!! I would be mad too. But unfortunately I'm not the type that would say anything either unless I'm in "A mood".
However, my hubby is a big teddy bear, but if he saw someone doing that to me...watch out. He would aggressively say what's above!:):)

Don't let it get you down. Just remember the good parts of the trip!:)

mswong40
01-06-2010, 08:45 AM
I turned around and glared at the woman once, and then I heard her voice and realized she was speaking Spanish, so I told my bf in English that she better back the f off or I was going to smack her....she glared at me and tried to ram into me thats when I was able to step away....but she rammed the person that was in front of me.....and thats when she started to try to get to Jessie and kept being obnoxious about it.

And while I do speak Spanish........I didnt know what the protocol was and didnt want to get in trouble for causing a scene. :(

Crazy4DL
01-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Speak calmly and firmly to the person that is bumping in to you or your family. Ask them to stop. Most of the time that is all it is going to take.

If someone was truly assulting you, then yes, scream at the top of your lungs for help. Otherwise, that is probably going to cause you, and everyone around you, a whole lot more trouble then needed.

Escape2Disney
01-06-2010, 09:59 AM
I think I've posted this one before....

We were there for Thanksgiving week in 07. That Wednesday, we were having dinner at Carnation Cafe when the parade went by. We were sitting in the seats near the street, so I stood by the gate in the corner so as not to block anyone's view. There was a table next to us with a few kids and two adults. The adults were ignoring the kids and the kids were running around like they owned the place.

One of the kids - around 7 or 8 years old, found his way over to me. I walk with a cane. He looked at me, looked at the cane, and kicked it out from under me. I almost fell! I was in shock! The parents didn't notice anything! I just stood there - couldn't believe what had just happened. My oldest daughter yelled at the kid and his family. They thought it was funny...just laughed and went back to their conversation.

I talked to the waitress after the meal. They'd been giving her a hard time for over an hour.

The only other really rude thing I remember is being in my chair (I can't remember if it was my scooter or wheelchair) when one day it seemed to be "use the handicap person as a stair" day! FOUR DIFFERENT TIMES that day people used my chair/head/whatever-they could reach to balance themselves while they stepped over me. I thought my oldest daughter was going to hurt someone if it kept up!

I've found that it seems to be worse when it's busy. Lately we only go in September, so it's more manageable and less agressive.

mswong40
01-06-2010, 10:06 AM
I think I've posted this one before....

We were there for Thanksgiving week in 07. That Wednesday, we were having dinner at Carnation Cafe when the parade went by. We were sitting in the seats near the street, so I stood by the gate in the corner so as not to block anyone's view. There was a table next to us with a few kids and two adults. The adults were ignoring the kids and the kids were running around like they owned the place.

One of the kids - around 7 or 8 years old, found his way over to me. I walk with a cane. He looked at me, looked at the cane, and kicked it out from under me. I almost fell! I was in shock! The parents didn't notice anything! I just stood there - couldn't believe what had just happened. My oldest daughter yelled at the kid and his family. They thought it was funny...just laughed and went back to their conversation.

I talked to the waitress after the meal. They'd been giving her a hard time for over an hour.

The only other really rude thing I remember is being in my chair (I can't remember if it was my scooter or wheelchair) when one day it seemed to be "use the handicap person as a stair" day! FOUR DIFFERENT TIMES that day people used my chair/head/whatever-they could reach to balance themselves while they stepped over me. I thought my oldest daughter was going to hurt someone if it kept up!

I've found that it seems to be worse when it's busy. Lately we only go in September, so it's more manageable and less agressive.

Man that really sucks......I cant believe how inconsiderate some people are.....seriously I think your daughter has a lot of restraint.......I can handle things on me (within certain measures)....but on my mom or dad....now then I wouldn't have cared whether or not I would be welcomed again at DL.

Simply laughing like that is RUDE, and careless, the worst part is that more often than not those are the people who you know get ballistic when something happens to them and they want the whole world to cater to them for it.

Escape2Disney
01-06-2010, 10:14 AM
The really sad part is my youngest daughter just cried. She was scared I'd get hurt. I was VERY proud of my oldest daughter for not physically attacking any of them. She was enraged by the whole thing. I just reminded her that being at DL is so much more fun than being arrested!

Thankfully that level of RUDENESS isn't typical. If it was, we'd never go again. We're just less likely to go when it's crowded.

mswong40
01-06-2010, 10:21 AM
The really sad part is my youngest daughter just cried. She was scared I'd get hurt. I was VERY proud of my oldest daughter for not physically attacking any of them. She was enraged by the whole thing. I just reminded her that being at DL is so much more fun than being arrested!

Thankfully that level of RUDENESS isn't typical. If it was, we'd never go again. We're just less likely to go when it's crowded.

Awww.....so sweet of them....I'm very glad you didn't get hurt. :) And you're 100% right, if it was like that all the time I doubt I would even go back again, and again.

And maybe next time carry your walking stick with you whether you're on a scooter or a wheel chair and use that to smack them back....lol!! j/k.

But seriously I'm very glad nothing happened to you.

kiki
01-06-2010, 11:02 AM
The stroller thing is quite typical for me. We usually take a large group during the summer (myself, mom and six kids). We have two strollers just in case the two younger kids get tired and to put bag and stuff on. I try to follow at a safe distance so not to hit anyone but there are just some people who don't. I remember this one man hit about three of us trying to pass our group with his stroller, mind you its summer, Fantasmic just let out...really sir, its about 200 people crammed into one space by Indie( we all know how small that space is between the tree house, indie and jungle cruise), how fast do you think you can go?

A few years ago we were all eating at tomorrowland terrace when this woman was sitting in an electric wheelchair with her grandson in her lap. Well the kid decided it would be nice to drive it, so he pushed the reverse button and rammed it into my cousin who was about 7 or 8 years old at the time. They pinned her between the chair and a wall while she was sitting in her own chair. I know it was an accident but the killer was she did not apologize for it. She in fact blamed her grandson saying he put it in reverse. No "I'm sorry" or " is she ok"....nada. She just rode off like nothing happened. Her foot was so swollen but she never complained until we went home a couple of days later and it was purple. We found out that her foot was badly bruised with a very small fracture. It just made me so mad that she did not utter one I'm sorry. I'm like you hurt a little girl all you can say is my grandson hit the reverse. UGGH!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

NancyF2058
01-06-2010, 11:38 AM
After the 2ND time... I'd have made the news. LOL.

Nancy

shna
01-06-2010, 12:09 PM
I might have made a big deal of "losing my balance," then sitting in her stroller - on her child, if necessary.

wenidog
01-06-2010, 12:16 PM
I had a lady ram her stroller into my ankles in the same spot, by the Village Haus bathrooms last December. The first time, I just tripped a bit, thinking it was accidental. The second time, I turned around and caught her unresponsive eye. The third time, I said to her, "no really...I'm OK, my ankles are only bleeding a little..." The last time (before I let her pass) I looked her directly into her eyes and asked her, "What is wrong with you?!" Her response? Nada. Nothing there. Very scary...

Malcon10t
01-06-2010, 12:28 PM
We were there for Thanksgiving week in 07. That Wednesday, we were having dinner at Carnation Cafe when the parade went by. We were sitting in the seats near the street, so I stood by the gate in the corner so as not to block anyone's view. There was a table next to us with a few kids and two adults. The adults were ignoring the kids and the kids were running around like they owned the place.That is my biggest pet peeve. I assume the parents figure it's Disneyland, it's just a big playplace, and relax their rules. But, as I saw this in numerous other restaurants, my assumption is way off.

mechurchlady
01-06-2010, 03:55 PM
That is my biggest pet peeve. I assume the parents figure it's Disneyland, it's just a big playplace, and relax their rules. But, as I saw this in numerous other restaurants, my assumption is way off.
that is my peeve also. I have seen it in restaurants like Denny's as well as in the parks. I had a lady in church who had severe brittle bones problems and if a 22 pound kid touched her she could have been in the hospital with a broken bone. don't parents realize hoe dangerous it is to let kids run around loose.

NightKidsGTR
01-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Oh, man. This happens to me at least once every trip. I'm always taking a stroller or the occasional wheelchair to the back of the ankles. I've had my foot rolled over by a wheelchair once, which resulted in the dirtying of my new shoes =(.

I usually just turn around and give them the "Really???" look and let them know they're hitting me. I'm a pretty big dude so they get kind of apologetic after that if it happens again. And it ALWAYS happens after the fireworks and heading to grab a spot for Fantasmic. Usually around the Golden Horseshoe or Riverbelle Terrace area. Maybe I should just go a different route...LOL

DizneyMommy
01-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Not the same as the OP's experience, but...
I usually have a double stroller with me and always try to follow at a safe distance, though in a crowd this becomes a nightmare. When people are pushing ahead to fill every smidgen of space to get there sooner than the next guy, accidents happen. If you choose to step across in front of my stroller to fill that gap, you are going to get your ankles run over. Sorry, but I am pushing a stroller which weighs upwards of 80+ pounds and I just cannot stop on a dime, my reaction time is not that fast and it is freakin heavy. On the freeway, this would result in you being rear-ended, or at very least honked very loudly at, by the person behind you. People do not realize this, they step right in front of your stroller trying to get in that gap between you and the person ahead of you (how DARE I leave vacant space!) and then the person in front stops and what happens? Wheels to the ankle. One time this happened and the person SAT on my child - I just about lost it. She intentionally stepped across in front of my stroller to push through the crowd faster and the stroller in front of her stopped and she fell right backwards onto my daughter. And of COURSE I was to blame, no apology, just a dirty look and HEY watch where you're going, from her.

It's no different than the freeway people, you leave a space between you and the car in front of you - think about that the next time you jump in front of a stroller to get ahead. *Off my soapbox, thankyouverymuch :-)

danyoung
01-07-2010, 09:51 AM
I didnt know what the protocol was and didnt want to get in trouble for causing a scene. :(

The protocol is to get the person to stop being an idiot by whatever means possible. Always start nicely, then feel free to escalate quickly if they still just don't get it.

My favorite story happened to me in WDW's MK, right after the evening fireworks show. I was on the west side of the central hub, and the crowd was literally shoulder to shoulder, gridlocked, with no one moving as far as the eye could see. Most people were waiting patiently, except for this young Asian couple behind me. They were literally squeezing their way between people to try to get a little bit ahead, which was just stupid in that crowd. When they came up behind me and started to push, I nicely said "there's no room - just be patient and we'll all be moving in a few minutes." They smiled, nodded (I don't think they spoke any English), and then a couple minutes later tried again. This time I threw out an elbow and stated loudly "There's no room - please back off!" And this held for another couple minutes till they wanted to try again, at which time I turned as best as I could and yelled "THERE'S NOWHERE TO GO - KNOCK IT OFF!!!" I think they got it that time, as they waited there with the rest of us till the gridlock released a few minutes later.

I try to be a nice guy, but some times you gotta fight rude with rude!

Crazy4DL
01-07-2010, 09:58 AM
I try to be a nice guy, but some times you gotta fight rude with rude!

Your actions make sense. Try nicely, get a little firmer if you have to, get rude at last if you have to, but standing there screaming loudly until a CM has to come over (as suggested earlier) makes little sense to me and seems counter-productive. JMHO

TIMBO
01-07-2010, 10:19 AM
If you choose to step across in front of my stroller to fill that gap, you are going to get your ankles run over. Sorry, but I am pushing a stroller which weighs upwards of 80+ pounds and I just cannot stop on a dime, my reaction time is not that fast and it is freakin heavy.

It's no different than the freeway people, you leave a space between you and the car in front of you - think about that the next time you jump in front of a stroller to get ahead. *Off my soapbox, thankyouverymuch :-)

*Clap, Clap, Clap* Reading through this I was hoping somebody would mention what you said.

EVERYTIME...without fail while pushing our stroller OR while driving our ECV's in the parks somebody feels they need to step into that cushion I have purposely left in front of me and then look at me crazy when they STOP, and I run into them.

Maybe Disney needs to install "Stroller /ECV only lanes" :p :cool:

mechurchlady
01-07-2010, 11:07 AM
DizneyMommy thank for posting what has happened to Mom and I. They do it to people walking, ECVS, canes, crutches, strollers, etc. They see that space and have to fill it. I follow the rump in front of me and if someone cuts in front of me then oops, crunch.