PDA

View Full Version : DCA World of Color Standing room only!?

Pages : [1] 2

wenidog
01-05-2010, 10:10 AM
I just read an update regarding the to-be 'World of Color' show in the PP lagoon at DCA. The article mentions many logistical problems with operations and traffic flow that will need to be solved prior to the opening show.

The error I believe that Disney is making with this show is the "Standing room only" for viewing. Are you kidding me? The show is 30 minutes long in runtime, plus the hour(s) that guests will need to stake-out for a premium viewing local, most certainly packed-in to capacity. No area to spread out a blanket for sleeping kids? Or big kids to rest our tired feet before the show begins? NO GOOD WILL COME OF THIS...BIG MISTAKE!:eek:

Seriously.

AVP
01-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Much of the high-demand fireworks viewing area is made to be "standing room only" prior to the start of the show, but the CMs allow guests to sit while they wait. About 25 minutes before the show they ask everyone to stand up and step forward, creating more space at the back of the venue.

There has been a lot written and rumored about how WoC viewing will be handled, but I don't believe anything is set in stone yet.

AVP

TowerofTerror
01-05-2010, 10:17 AM
I say let it be seating only and not standing room only.

oregontraveler
01-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Al also mentioned the plan right now is to use the existing FP machines from
Grizzly River Rapids instead of putting new ones in to distribute showpasses
for WoC.

wenidog
01-05-2010, 10:44 AM
I just can't fathom SoCal visitors/passholders/regulars repeating viewings of this show (an intention of Disney's). What will most certainly be a wonderful performance, potentially the culmination of a great day at Disneyland. But, to bring aging parents, toddlers...electric scooters...

First, guests must rise to standing 25 min before the show. Then, stand lock-kneed, with kids crying they can't see, for 30 min. during the show, packed like sardines in the viewing areas. Finally, wait for what will seem like eternity to exit the show area. Is Disney palnning on selling Xanax slushies to calm the natives? Maybe, it's a marketing ploy?:geek:

They say the last 15 minutes of a playdate is how a child will deem the playdate successful, or not...

houseofmouse
01-05-2010, 10:50 AM
It's too bad they couldn't make it like the amphitheater in Hollywood Studios.

Or maybe have rows of seating that go underground during the day and come out for the show.

I am used to standing for fireworks but 9000 people packed in may be a bit for me.

VickiC
01-05-2010, 11:30 AM
First, guests must rise to standing 25 min before the show. Then, stand lock-kneed, with kids crying they can't see, for 30 min. during the show, packed like sardines in the viewing areas. Finally, wait for what will seem like eternity to exit the show area.

How is this different from Fantasmic? People see that over and over, while I find it a nightmarish, claustrophobic, pushing, shoving experience.

The old man
01-05-2010, 11:53 AM
How is this different from Fantasmic? People see that over and over, while I find it a nightmarish, claustrophobic, pushing, shoving experience.

True dat.

olegc
01-05-2010, 01:38 PM
I say let it be seating only and not standing room only.

well, then you'll get 4500 folks in there instead of 9000. so how long will it take to have the 900K Plus AP holders see the show now?

or are you assuming you'll get in, get out, and the rest who knows? As stated - wait and see but it will most likely be sit then stand. or sit - for a high fee.

olegc
01-05-2010, 01:43 PM

well, if you're trying to see it dead center and then leave when everyone else leaves I can see why... planning and an idea of how to get enjoyment out of it should be part of your process.

any notion of a casual day strolling along, tra la la, with only 30K folks in the park are long gone (that is, when everything is running during key periods).

I love the show - the music, the performances, and I have tried over time to view it from different sides. I have discovered where best to enjoy it and deal with the masses. Ignoring that, or assuming you should not have to deal with it, is not reality. The same will hold true for WOC. initially it will be tough to figure out (I mean in the 1st year) but after a while you'll get to know where to best stand and see the show.

how about the bridge to Pacfiic Wharf. Won't that offer some sort of decent viewing? but i am getting ahead of myself. We don't even know all the details yet (but the test video with the water screens were awesome - the show is massive).

wenidog
01-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Fantasmic allows guests to arrive prior to showtime (sometime hours earlier) to pre-select ground for their families. It's OK to lay out blankets and take a rest. You may need to stand for the performance due to the dense crowd, but you can sit, park a stroller, let your babies or toddlers nap. The high dollar premium seats sold by Disney include an actual chair and dessert box.

With WoC, even the premium "seats" only include a place to stand. You may get a dinner or such with the fee, but the show is standing. Perhaps Ariel's Grotto will offer some real "seats".

olegc
01-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I just can't fathom SoCal visitors/passholders/regulars repeating viewings of this show (an intention of Disney's). What will most certainly be a wonderful performance, potentially the culmination of a great day at Disneyland. But, to bring aging parents, toddlers...electric scooters...

First, guests must rise to standing 25 min before the show. Then, stand lock-kneed, with kids crying they can't see, for 30 min. during the show, packed like sardines in the viewing areas. Finally, wait for what will seem like eternity to exit the show area. Is Disney palnning on selling Xanax slushies to calm the natives? Maybe, it's a marketing ploy?:geek:

They say the last 15 minutes of a playdate is how a child will deem the playdate successful, or not...

i doubt they will force people to stand everywhere. The amphitheater area is intended to be the best viewing but I assume you can stand elswhere along the lagoon and watch.

Besides - this is the same thing they do with fireworks at disneyland - and have for a couple of years now. There have been some complaints but most folks have just dealt with it. Why not now?

wenidog
01-05-2010, 02:25 PM
i doubt they will force people to stand everywhere. The amphitheater area is intended to be the best viewing but I assume you can stand elswhere along the lagoon and watch.

Besides - this is the same thing they do with fireworks at disneyland - and have for a couple of years now. There have been some complaints but most folks have just dealt with it. Why not now?

According to Al, guests may obtain a Fastpass for the tiered area to watch the show which will be available each morning at the GRR Fastpass machines. If you do not have a fastpass, the only way to watch to WoC will be from a sidewalk area (or the premium ares). If your not able to physically 'be' there (locals/AP folks) in the morning to get a pass, you'll be sidelined. The GRR machines turn back into GRR distribution at some point. Yes, it is similar to the fireworks show, but lasts longer and has more restrictions.

wenidog
01-05-2010, 02:26 PM
According to Al, guests may obtain a Fastpass for the tiered area to watch the show which will be available each morning at the GRR Fastpass machines. If you do not have a fastpass, the only way to watch to WoC will be from a sidewalk area (or the premium ares). If your not able to physically 'be' there (locals/AP folks) in the morning to get a pass, you'll be sidelined. The GRR machines turn back into GRR distribution at some point. Yes, it is similar to the fireworks show, but lasts longer and has more restrictions

lauramaynot
01-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Standing room only is kinda a misnomer IMO - Of course they will allow people to sit down, no there isn't seating but they are doing a great job terracing the area so that as many people as possible will be able to enjoy the show at once. Will people be tired at the end of a long day? of course. Will they want to sit down and rest while they wait? of course. DL knows this and they will not force people to stand shoulder to shoulder for hours. I think that is what the show pass is designed to do. Reduce the waiting time. People won't have to sit and wait for hours, they can if they want to but having the show pass will allow people to enjoy their evening and then 30 or so minutes before show time still get into the viewing area. I think that as soon as they work all the kinks out of the system, waiting for shows as we currently know it (ie. staking out the best spot for hours) is going to be a thing of the past. Good riddance I say! As for the AP's? I wouldn't be surprized to see an AP preview the same way they did for finding nemo when it opened...you add to that a soft opening and I think they will be able to reduce the huge opening day rush on the park...

mechurchlady
01-05-2010, 11:41 PM
What is going to stop people from camping out to get the best seats? Unless the seats are allocated by seat number there are going to be people wanting the "best seats" and will be there early. Aladdin sees people arriving an hour or more before the show so that they can get "good seats".

How will they satisfy guests who cannot be in DCA at opening time? Is it fair to those who cannot get to the parks until late? Will the system only be for active tickets? With Fantasmic one person can get to the parks early and save a spot for the family.

As for standing, I would have to stay on the ground or bring the wheelchair. People have complained about the standing for fireworks. I sat on the curb for the parade and would have left if made to stand. I wonder how they will handled the disabled guests.

I will wait and see how bad or good they can do this show.

kiowa
01-06-2010, 02:53 AM
Maybe through evolution people will start to be born without legs to solve the problem, it seems that people forget what legs are for sometimes.

Is it really that bad to have to stand?

Seriously?

AJDerrick
01-06-2010, 06:01 AM
Well, if you're 4'11" like me and someone taller than the grade of the seating gets in front of me then yeah, standing is a problem. Which is why I'm one of the Fantasmic campers willing to hang out right at the front of the river for 2 hours plus so that this doesn't happen to me. Standing for fireworks is totally different because they're above everyone's heads so I at least have a fighting chance.

If WOC will allow me to go early to be in front then no, standing is no big deal. I would rather to be able to sit and enjoy a show though--no one puts their kids on their shoulders sitting down! But show pass or not, I'm still going to have to invest the time so I can see. Or maybe get some stilts...:p

houseofmouse
01-06-2010, 07:17 AM
We stand in lines for 30 to 60 minutes or more to ride a ride, why is standing for that period of time so bad? It would be nice to have seating, even concrete seating but I don't think it will be as bad as some are making it out to be.

I think for those who are in wheelchairs and the like, the situation will be different and just like fireworks and Fantasmic there will be a special area.

Escape2Disney
01-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Some people mentioned the premium seating. Can anyone tell me where I can read more about this option?

wenidog
01-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Al Lutz for MiceAge did an article regarding WoC a day or so ago.

stan4d_steph
01-06-2010, 12:59 PM
If you would like to discuss the topic of World of Color viewing and whether there will be seating areas, please do so here. If you would like to discuss Al's article, please do so on MiceChat. Thank you.

AlbertaMinnie
01-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Would it be worthwhile to get a Park View Room at PP and watch WOC from there and just avoid the crowd? I have never stayed there so I don't know how good of a view that would give us?

I know some of those new DVC rooms at the Grand would give people the opportunity for a great view but I think those are a tad bit out of my price range.

olegc
01-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Would it be worthwhile to get a Park View Room at PP and watch WOC from there and just avoid the crowd? I have never stayed there so I don't know how good of a view that would give us?

I know some of those new DVC rooms at the Grand would give people the opportunity for a great view but I think those are a tad bit out of my price range.

i guess that depends on how well you want to see the whole show. if you've ever seen an aerial map of the lagoon with the jets (they have one at BlueSky Cellar) the full arc is almost the width of the lagoon - but it would be from the left side and back of the water screen for PP Hotel guests. you could see some of it but it would not be straight on. this is based on youtube videos of the tests that have come out as well as the latest DisneyParks blog video with an actual complete-width screen test. also, you'd probably not get the music piped in (but I bet they would at some rooms in the DVC). I know they have piped music from DIsneyland fireworks into suites at the Disneyland hotel.

so - as wth everything - it depends based on soft openings and how things REALLY will work when they come together. For now it's a lot of speculation and hand wringing..

Bytebear
01-06-2010, 03:56 PM
My guess is that after the hype mellows out (in a few years), they will add seating walls (similar to the walls near Haunted Mansion) where you can sit, and maybe even make the lowest tier be seating, but until the crowds die down, they are going to cram every last inch of space with a body. I personally hope the show is somewhat of a theater in the round, where you can see it from either side of the lagoon.