PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland "2Fer" offer begins; AP price increase

AVP
01-05-2010, 07:53 AM
It's 2Fer Time

Disneyland launched the 2010 "2Fer" offer this morning, and also quietly raised the prices of all levels of Disneyland Annual Passports.

The Spring 2010 2Fer ticket offers Southern California / Northern Baja California residents* admission to either Disneyland or Disney's California Adventure on one day, and then a second visit to the other park on another day within 30 days of the first visit. Ticket ticket is $72.00 for adults (ages 10 and older) and $62.00 for children (ages 3-9) The first use must occur by April 12, 2010.

The 2fer ticket can be purchased online at Disneyland.com/2fer, and printed from home for immediate use. You can also purchase the ticket at participating Disney Stores; Vons, Pavilions, Albertsons, Ralphs, Stater Bros, Gelson’s or Food 4 Less grocery stores; Toys R Us; Dearden’s; Korea Daily; the Disney Desk at the Irvine Spectrum and other participating locations.

As with past promotions, the 2Fer ticket can be upgraded during or prior to the second use to a multi-day park hopper ticket, or to an Annual Passport. If you prefer to visit both parks on both visits, you can also purchase the Southern California 2-Day Park Hopper Ticket for $97.00 (adults) or $87.00 (children 3-9).

*Now for the fine print:

Tickets valid for Southern California residents within ZIP Codes 90000–93599 and Northern Baja California residents within ZIP Codes 21000–22999. Proof of residency required for admission. Admission valid for one day at DisneylandŽ Park, and another day at Disney's California AdventureŽ Park, but not for both Parks on the same day. Tickets are valid 30 days from first use. First use must occur between 1/5/10 through 4/12/10. Each day of use constitutes one full day of use. May purchase up to 8 tickets per person per day with valid ID. Tickets may not be sold or transferred for commercial use. Offer may not be combined with other discounts or promotions. Offer not valid before 1/5/10. Subject to restrictions and change without notice.

Annual Passport price increase

The Disneyland Resort also raised the price of all four levels of Annual Passport $10-25 effective this morning. The new rates are as follows:

Premium Annual Passport: $439 ($10 increase)
Deluxe Annual Passport: $299 ($10 increase)
Southern California Annual Passport: $219 ($25 increase)
SoCal Select Annual Passport: $169 ($25 increase)

Nikara
01-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Eek! A month before I need to renew my pass. At least I can use get a day, give a day to get a discount on it this year...

Darkbeer
01-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Today also had a $10 price increase on the Southern California CityPass, now $269 for adults, and $229 for kids. Valid through January 3rd, 2011.

FoodLover
01-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Southern California Annual Passport: $210 ($16 increase)

Actually the new price for this passport is $219, a $25 increase.

AVP
01-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Actually the new price for this passport is $219, a $25 increase.I had just caught and fixed that - thanks!

houseofmouse
01-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Wasn't the Deluxe 279.00? So that is a 20.00 increase. I was pricing it out on paper a few weeks ago and that is what I had written down.

Andrew
01-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Am I misremembering or didn't the AP prices just go up by a significant amount a few months ago?

Darkbeer
01-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Am I misremembering or didn't the AP prices just go up by a significant amount a few months ago?

Prices went up on August 2nd last year... Here are the changes from August.

Premium annual pass: $429 (from $389)
Deluxe annual pass: $289 (from $269)
Southern California annual pass: $194 (from $174)
Southern California Select annual pass: $144 (from $134)

So the Premium has gone up $50 in the last 6 months. Deluxe has gone up $30, SoCal's $45, and Selects $35.

houseofmouse
01-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Hmmm okay guess not.

Why the increases so close together?

olegc
01-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Hmmm okay guess not.

Why the increases so close together?

Disneyland has had gate price increases a couple of times a year or about 5 years or more now. It's nothing new - but it just seems more harsh to AP holders since it's a larger sum.

Was it two years ago (2008) that they did 3 changes? one just prior to the holiday period, and then ones before it were pre-summer and Jan. that caused a monster thread here on the pad I seem to recall.

houseofmouse
01-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Guess I forgot! Did regular ticket prices go up as well? I only need two AP's this year and 2- 3 Day hoppers for summer. Since my boys don't like going as much as my DD and myself! ((GASP!))

Darkbeer
01-05-2010, 10:44 AM
The one thing other than AP's that went up in price today was the Southern California CityPass.

Single Day tickets and ParkHoppers remained the same price, which last went up in August.

potzbie
01-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Southern California Annual Passport: $219 ($25 increase)

Oy! Ouch!
:(
Instead of renewing my "Premium AP" in December, I deliberately down graded my AP renewal to "Southern California AP" due purely to the increase of the Premium AP.
And now DL is seeing that I am not alone, and DL is trying to make up that loss of Premium AP renewal money by targeting the very AP which was most cost-effective for local people like me.

Geez Louise! The rate increases are happening faster and faster! Like South American inflation!
:eek:

olegc
01-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Single Day tickets and ParkHoppers remained the same price, which last went up in August.

this first week is not over, though...

emmah
01-05-2010, 05:14 PM
wow! i had a 6 day parkhopper which i started using when I arrived on sunday; i decided on the spur of the moment to upgrade to an AP straight away (I was going to leave it until today when I moved to the DLH and needed it for the AP hotel rate) - I am now doubly glad I did it on sunday. The AP 'cost' me $75 (more than the PH) and so far I have 'saved' $36 in discounts (not including the hotel 'savings' which aren't really savings since the rate is still twice as much as the hotel I had booked before I got excited by the discounts) ... I think I will get up to about $60 in discounts which is close enough to even but if the price had been even more I'd be kicking myself....

disney_leonard
01-05-2010, 05:14 PM
They want (and need) to cut down on the total number of AP's. There were over 800,000 according to most accounts and if growth continued unchecked there could be a million. The parks cannot handle anywhere close to that many people. I believe DL's limit is around 60,000. DCA has yet to determine a max. but expect to find it as soon as the World of Color debuts (hopefully in late April.) I would expect another increase later in the year. As a PAP it is tough to swallow but now I have more reason to sign up and do my Give a Day/Get a Day promo.

DonKarnage
01-05-2010, 10:40 PM
If you really think the prices of APs are really that bad, let's put this in perspective...

For 1 person to just get in the parks for a day (and parking)...this is what it would cost if you didn't have an AP:

A 1-Day Park Hopper ticket to the parks: $97, then add $16 for parking (don't remember if it's 15 or 16...so I'll use 16.) So the total to park & get into the parks for 1 day...$113.

Now compare that w/ the various AP levels:

Premium $439 (3.884)
Deluxe $299 (2.646)
Southern California $219 (1.938)
Southern California Select $169 (1.495)

The number in parenthesis is the number of visits you'd need to make in a year in order to break even for what you paid for your AP up-front. So depending on which pass you have...after 2-4 times, each additional visit to the park, you're getting in for free (or essentially saving a lot of $$ compared to not having an AP.)

Darkbeer
01-06-2010, 06:04 AM
Parking remained at $14 for a basic car, it did not go up in price yesterday.

olegc
01-06-2010, 08:02 AM
price discussions get in to all sorts of scenarios. It has been discussed before - but it's a value thing. Do you personally get the value out of what you bought. It's a personal decision, not for an economist or other pad posters to tell any individual what they should do and if they don't it's wrong. Frankly I don't like so many increases but I pay them because I love to go to the park and I make sure to use all of my discounts. For others, who knows...

and frankly I don't think they would reduce the number of passholders. I posted this on another thread before - the folks in the TDA building in the back focused on gate revenue are not the same as operations - so the gate folks would like to get as much gate revenue (including passholders) and let Ops figure it out. So Ops is now trying to figure out how to get more folks on rides and in the park without hurting the overall experience too much. This is why the Summer fireworks had elements pulled out that would have closed more of the park pathways. It was reported that they are now looking to see how to carry MORE people in the park at one time (more than 60k) by adding things to do, etc. So the long-range planning leaked info sounds like they want to increase the at-one-time, and then total daily, attendance.

Maybe I am wrong - and they are looking for that sweetspot of AP holders to regular guests (and the thousands of WDC employees and their friends in Los Angeles). I doubt it would change anytime soon. My guess is by 2012 or 2013 they might have an idea...

and, by then, who knows. Maybe they'll go back to a one park pass :eek:

disney_leonard
01-06-2010, 09:49 AM
I agree re: value. I pay for the PAP because I want the convenience of being able to go anytime I want. I also enjoy the extra discounts. I will continue to pay the higher price because I use my AP enough to make it very cost effective. But they need to reduce the overall number of passes to cut down on the number of days they have to close the park.