PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Christmas Decorations - Were there cutbacks?

FunMom
01-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Alright, please know that I am not intending to stir up a heated debate, but I just want to know (because someone on another forum made an assertion): Did it appear that Disneyland cut back on Christmas decorations in the parks, hotels or DTD (presumably due to the economy)? If so, what did you notice to be missing from previous years?

As always, thanks for your 2 cents - Happy New Year to all you padders who have made all our DL trips incredible!

cstephens
01-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Definitely. I love Storybook during Christmas - I usually go on once in the daytime so I can see the wreaths and presents and once at night to see the lights. This year, I only got to ride it once, at night, and there we no lights at all. There are usually lights on the trees and such, and nothing this year. It was so dark that I couldn't see at all very well, but I only remember seeing one wreath and no presents.

In Toontown, the different buildings had previously been decorated with things associated with that particular building. The frozen yogurt building had garland made of frozen yogurt, the clock shop had clocks in its decorations, etc. None of that this year.

In Critter Country, where the Pooh characters do their meet and greet, they used to have heffalumps carrying the lights. They were gone this year too.

mechurchlady
01-04-2010, 04:07 PM
I rode the canal boats yesterday and there was lights on Hyde Park island and one or two poinsettia plants in a pot. You would think there would be some indication of some holidays going on. No holly boughs or Christmas trees, not even a tiny bow on the door.

Malcon10t
01-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Definitely. I love Storybook during Christmas - I usually go on once in the daytime so I can see the wreaths and presents and once at night to see the lights. This year, I only got to ride it once, at night, and there we no lights at all. There are usually lights on the trees and such, and nothing this year. It was so dark that I couldn't see at all very well, but I only remember seeing one wreath and no presents..Here are some pics from when we rode on I think NYE...

This is my favorite... Seven Dwarfs House
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3738

I love all the little touches.
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3742
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3739

More in my photo albums...

cstephens
01-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Here are some pics from when we rode on I think NYE...

OK, maybe it was just too dark to see. I rode Storybook on the 29th at night and then we rode Casey Jr. on NYE very late. Couldn't see anything. But I do know that in prior years, there were at least lights, and I didn't see any.

Malcon10t
01-04-2010, 04:30 PM
OK, maybe it was just too dark to see. I rode Storybook on the 29th at night and then we rode Casey Jr. on NYE very late. Couldn't see anything. But I do know that in prior years, there were at least lights, and I didn't see any.I didn't see any lights either. We usually ride once at night, and just didn't this time, so don't know what was up. I did miss the ToonTown decor though.

Oh, and when we rode Storybook, the Casey Jr was FLYING around the tracks. We all commented how fast it was going compared to normal.

CindyR
01-04-2010, 04:55 PM
I had never noticed that there were Christmas trees set up on the villages before on Storybook, I don't know if its because we hadn't been on it during Christmas or what. Anyways we were riding at night and I noticed most had lights but they weren't on so I asked a CM about it and she said they had been having issues with the lights. I want to say it was a part they needed to order but I'm not sure if that was the case now because they never seemed to have fixed the problem. Last time we went on, Dec 18th, I think only one tree lit up and it was very faintly. So they did decorate on that ride it just seemed to not be working.

mechurchlady
01-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Yesterday afternoon I rode and was specifically looking for any sign of Christmas. I still say that there was none when I rode.

K & S
01-04-2010, 06:58 PM
OK, maybe it was just too dark to see. I rode Storybook on the 29th at night and then we rode Casey Jr. on NYE very late. Couldn't see anything. But I do know that in prior years, there were at least lights, and I didn't see any.

IIRC the little Christmas trees use to be lit at night, not this year. In fact many of the buildings weren't lit this year.

I also missed the Carolers on Main Street this year.

DSNYDad
01-04-2010, 07:32 PM
We missed Storybook this year, and I really wanted to check it out. On 12/27 the line was too long and on 1/1 it was closed in the morning. I guess we didn't miss too much. I'd agree that Toontown was a disappointment.

janell
01-04-2010, 08:34 PM
I never knew they did christmas decor on Storybook. I'll check that out next year. lol

explodingboy
01-04-2010, 09:05 PM
I do not think so. There were decorations on the miniature houses inside the Storybookland Canals (as said before). I think if anything they were over the top.

wwomant
01-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I didn't see any lights either. We usually ride once at night, and just didn't this time, so don't know what was up. I did miss the ToonTown decor though.

Oh, and when we rode Storybook, the Casey Jr was FLYING around the tracks. We all commented how fast it was going compared to normal.

We rode Casey Jr. and Storybook on the 30th, both at night, and I was disappointed that there were no Christmas decor/lights visible on Storybook. And DH and I did comment that we didn't remember Casey Jr. being so fast!

Hannahbelle
01-05-2010, 02:43 PM
I was just happy that the "California" letters were decorated since they omitted the candy corn decor at Halloween time.:D
I like to take pictures of the letters that spell my name IRL.:D