PDA

View Full Version : Updated New Year's Eve entertainment & fireworks info

AVP
12-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Even though the Disneyland Web site STILL, as of this morning, indicates that there are no midnight fireworks on New Year's Eve, and even though the Disneyland Guest Relations phone operators STILL, as of this morning, continue to say that there are no midnight fireworks on New Year's Eve, I have loads of information about NYE that should help make your evening more enjoyable.

Parking:

Expect the usual parking hassles in and around the Disneyland Resort, so plan to get there early. Downtown Disney will begin charging a $20 flat rate parking fee somewhere around 5:00 to discourage people from using that lot as a short-term lot just so they can pop in and see the fireworks. If you obtain validation from a sit-down restaurant or the AMC theater you can obtain a REFUND of that fee if you show your paid parking reciept and validation stamp to the Valet Booth, but you will still be subjected to the fee upon entry.

The trams to and from the Mickey & Friends parking structure will be extremely busy immediately after each fireworks show - plan to wait it out or walk back to M&F. To speed boarding of the trams, guests who use wheelchairs or need other assistance will be directed to a dedicated queue near the picnic area, and will use the accessible shuttle van back to the structure instead of boarding the trams.

Land / Area closures:

Mickey's Toontown will close for the evening around 8:30pm, and will not reopen.

A Bugs Land will close for the evening around 9:30pm, and will not reopen.

Hat and Horn distribution locations:

Disneyland - Festival Arena in Frontierland, starting at 7pm.

DCA - Condor Flats and in front of the Paradise Pier gate, starting at 7pm.

Midnight countdown locations:

Disneyland

• Sleeping Beauty Castle
• Tomorrowland Terrace
• Rivers of America
• “it’s a small world” Mall

DCA

• Sunshine Plaza
• Hollywood Boulevard
• Pacific Wharf

Downtown Disney

• Midnight countdown from Disneyland will be played through area speakers.

Midnight fireworks locations:

Disneyland - usual location in the skies above Disneyland park
DCA - launching from the roof of "A Bug's Life," best viewed from the Sunshine Plaza

Live radio broadcasts from DCA:

104.3 MY FM - Sunshine Plaza, starting at 9:30pm

Power 106 FM - Hollywood Backlot Stage, starting at 9:30pm

KSSE FM - Pacific Wharf District, starting at 9:30pm

Drince88
12-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the update, Adrienne!

DCA - Condor Flats and in front of the Paradise Pier gate, starting at 7pm.

WOW, that seems early. 5 hours of listening to people with horns?!

cstephens
12-28-2009, 12:29 PM
WOW, that seems early. 5 hours of listening to people with horns?!

That's been about the time of distribution every year I've been there.

And yes, the multitude of horns can be very annoying.

Malcon10t
12-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Also, there will be a 12:04am showing of Fantasmic! but for the first time I can remember, there is no premium seating for it. (So we have 1030p seating. Not a happy camper.)

TowerofTerror
12-28-2009, 02:43 PM
thanks for the New Years Eve entertainment update

janell
12-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks AVP for the update.

I agree the horns can get to be a bit much. They are fun and its nice that Disney give them out. What begins to push me over the top is hearing the horns in the hotel hallways after midnight. Its like okay, its after 12:30 am and Im tired, please be quite. lol

AVP
12-29-2009, 09:01 AM
The Disneyland Web site has been updated with "New Year's Eve Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks" in Disneyland and "Countdown to Midnight Fireworks"in DCA, both showing at 11:30. I don't know if this is because the Disney Web site can't publish a midnight showing without it pushing the event into the next day's entertainment schedule (I seem to remember previous years where the midnight fireworks were actually listed as being the next morning), or if they've really moved the show(s) up.

AVP

Matterhorn Yodeler
12-29-2009, 09:25 AM

How do you get to the Festival Arena?

Andrew
12-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Practice, practice, practice.

Or you could take a left turn from the the Village Haus and walk through the gates into Frontierland.

olegc
12-30-2009, 05:08 PM
so they are also supposed to have special ears for new year's available for purchase - Emprorium, Greetings, and WOD. Anyone care to post a pic? i can't be there for the evening but I do collect special event ears so I was just wondering....

mechurchlady
12-30-2009, 07:56 PM
It is near Big Thunder ranch. Take the path that leads from Fantasyland to the Mark Twain. Follow the crowd until you are in line for the bathroom or the Festival Arena.

cstephens
12-30-2009, 11:26 PM
so they are also supposed to have special ears for new year's available for purchase - Emprorium, Greetings, and WOD. Anyone care to post a pic? i can't be there for the evening but I do collect special event ears so I was just wondering....

D23 tweeted about it today, but they didn't include a pic or a description. If I remember to go look tomorrow, I'll try to get a picture.

Black Bart
12-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Parking was so bad today that I didnt go to Disneyland today.

cstephens
01-01-2010, 10:50 AM

We looked at the Emporium and Greetings and couldn't find one. We didn't make it to WoD, so I don't know if they had any. I never saw one all night, but the husband said he saw two people wearing it. He said the hat part was black, but the ears were gold, with "20" on one ear and "10" on the other, and there was a patch on the front of the hat part that said "Happy New Year". The strangest thing was that we didn't see people wearing it around the park, so I'm wondering how many they had for sale. You'd think if people bought them, they'd be wearing them and you'd see them everywhere. It wouldn't really make sense to buy them and then just leave them in the bag or take them back to the hotel. Weird.

olegc
01-01-2010, 03:50 PM
thank for checking - it is weird they would make a note of it and then they're not available. Maybe D23 set them aside for a higher priced event :rolleyes:

Wildwill
01-01-2010, 04:24 PM
The special ears were sold out rather quickly, I saw several people wearing them, but by the time we got into the parks at 5:40 pm they were all gone resort wide.

janell
01-02-2010, 09:46 AM
We too saw people waring them, but never found them in the stores. Boy those sold quickly. :)