PDA

View Full Version : Rose Bowl football teams visit DL

potzbie
12-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Tonight (Sat. 26-DEC-2009), the 11:00 p.m. news showed the two teams which will be playing in the Rose Bowl (namely, Ohio State Buckeyes; Oregon Ducks) visiting Disneyland.

Did anyone see them at DL Saturday?

cstephens
12-26-2009, 11:23 PM
One of the Disneyland Twitter feeds had tweeted this morning that both teams would be there today. They also tweeted in the afternoon that both coaches got some kind of ceremony and replica of the castle this afternoon.

In the esplanade to the right of the DCA entrance, they had a tent set up where official Rose Bowl merchandise for both teams was for sale. I did see groups of people wearing team insignia jackets around the resort, but I don't know enough about the teams to know which team they were with.

Malcon10t
12-28-2009, 08:43 AM
We saw both teams all day Sat. Both were very well behaved.

Drince88
12-28-2009, 08:52 AM
I did see groups of people wearing team insignia jackets around the resort, but I don't know enough about the teams to know which team they were with.
Oregon would have been wearing green and their nickname is the Ducks.
Ohio State would be wearing red and their nickname is the Buckeyes.

Just don't remind the Oregon players that their mascot is a cartoon character.

(University of Oregon actually has an agreement with Disney and their mascot DOES look like Donald, they just can't use the mascot in any fund raising type of activities.)

Malcon10t
12-28-2009, 08:56 AM

(University of Oregon actually has an agreement with Disney and their mascot DOES look like Donald, they just can't use the mascot in any fund raising type of activities.)Oregon was wearing olive green warm up suits with bright yellow Ds on them. Ohio was wearing grey warm ups with a lighter grey O on them. You had to look close to see who was who.

DwarfPlanet
12-28-2009, 10:44 AM

(University of Oregon actually has an agreement with Disney and their mascot DOES look like Donald, they just can't use the mascot in any fund raising type of activities.)

From what I understand it is Donald Duck and the agreement was with Walt. Years later Disney tried to forbid Oregon from using Donald but the courts ruled for the college due to old photos of Walt with a Oregon jacket with Donald on it.

oregontraveler
12-28-2009, 12:17 PM
The UofO never did get an agreement in writing for the use of Donald's likeness. And when Walt died, the only evidence they could provide was that one photo. As I understand it, you need permission for every single event that 'Puddles' (our mascot's name) appears outside of sporting events.
I know that when we played the Rose Bowl in 1995, it was mentioned that
the Uof O is the only University that can have its mascot appear at Disneyland. I'm not sure if he was there this year.

A trio of UO students called 'Supwitchugirl' made a music video after WE won the Civil War called I Love My Ducks. One of the guys knew one of the students whe wears the costume. And so the Duck was in alot of shots. They posted it on YouTube and it became a big hit. So when Disney saw it, they called the UO to complain and eventually they re-edited it to take the Duck out and replaced with game highlights. That version played on the big DuckVision screen before the Civil War.

Karin
12-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Here (http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=153778) is the linky about the Oregon Donald Duck and the association with Walt.