PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Trip Dec 19-20, 2009

cheshirecatgirl
12-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Cast: Susan, age (gasp) 30, that's me.
Travel Dates: December 19 and 20, 2009
Hotel: Alamo Inn
Disney Resort Experience: One previous trip to DL, WDW veteran.
Reason for trip: To celebrate my birthday!

Disneyland 30th Birthday Trip 2009

Sat, Dec 19th. Happy birthday to me!

I got up waaaay early Sat morning and was on the road by 6AM. Stopped at the 7-11 for gas and then drove up to Anaheim, 87 miles north. I made good time, arriving at the hotel about 7:35. Checked in, parked and walked the looooong block into DL! I guess since it was still fairly early, about 8 AM, I was able to find a short line at the ticket counters and was up right away. I got my birthday fun card, then traded it in for an annual pass, hooray! And I got my birthday button, too. Time for fun!

Disneyland was the first order of business. I entered, found a bathroom by city hall, then hopped on the omnibus for a ride down Main Street. Then I hiked over to Space Mtn for a fastpass. Once that was secured, I wasn’t quite sure where to go, so I headed towards Fantasyland and decided to ride Matterhorn, since the wait wasn’t too long yet. It was about 15 minutes or so, and a fun ride! Then I went on Small World, first time ever at DL and also of course the first time seeing the holiday version. I liked it very much. In fact, I think it’s better than the normal version. Jingle Bells was a nice change from Small World all the time! And I loved the décor.

After that, I went and looked briefly at the Princess Fantasy Faire. Actually, I was scoping out the Troubador Tavern, but it wasn’t open yet. So I went to Toontown and rode Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin. Now, I went on this last year, but I had not seen the movie, so I was utterly confused about what it was all about! Well, saw the movie several months ago, so it made more sense this time. But I still can’t say I really like the ride. It was too spinny and not really very fun. Once I got off the ride, I looked around Toontown for a few minutes and took some pictures of the Christmas décor. Then I walked through Fantasyland towards Big Thunder Ranch. I wanted to ride all the FL rides, but the lines were way too long, and I just did not feel like waiting! So I went and visited the reindeer at the ranch. I briefly stood in line to see Santa, then changed my mind since I wasn’t in a waiting mood. I did stop to take a picture of the pardoned turkey! Then I just walked around Frontierland, browsing through that one log cabin store. I was just killing time till my SM FP was good. So by the time I was done browsing, it was 10:30 and I could go back and ride Space. Love that ride, it is soooo cool! So much better than the WDW version!

After Space, I headed to my favorite spot, New Orleans Square. I planned to spend a good deal of time here, because I just love the atmosphere. The first thing I did was go to Café Orleans and made a reservation for lunch. The second thing I did was go around to the Mint Julep bar and got a Mint Julep! I love those! I also got the advertised special New Orleans dessert, which was a white chocolate covered graham cracker with a picture of the Princess and the Frog on it! I sat in the café and had my snack and watched Tiana’s Showboat Jubilee. I was glad I had already seen the movie. After that, I got in line for Haunted Mansion Holiday. It was the longest line I waited in all day, but I wanted to see the holiday overlay since they don’t have that at WDW. I was amused in line by two teenage girls in front of me, and their conversation. It was just funny to hear them talking. I had a feeling they weren’t too bright, but at least they seemed to enjoy life! I also had a book with me, so I read while in line, and it wasn’t too bad. And here’s the crazy thing. I ended up liking the ride much better with the overlay. Even though I didn’t much care for the movie (NBC), I actually liked the ride version. It made the HM much more interesting, and the music was a lot better too! (Jill, you would LOVE it!)

After I finished that ride, I still had time before lunch, so I went over to Critter Country for one purpose. But on the way, I stopped and rode Pooh, to see if it was as bad as I remembered. It was. Bleh. But all was not lost. My purpose was to go to the Pooh store and get a cupcake for my birthday! Yum, yum. Well, actually I didn’t eat it then. But I did buy it there, and my yearly piece of pumpkin fudge, which I also did not eat until days later. But anyway.

I went back to NOS for my special birthday lunch at Café Orleans. I didn’t tell them it was my birthday, but I was wearing the button, so it was pretty obvious. I ordered the cup of gumbo and the Monte Cristo sandwich, since it has gotten so many raves. Well, the gumbo was excellent. I lived in coastal Mississippi for six months this past year, and visited New Orleans several times and really fell in love with it, so I felt a little like I was back there! Then came the monstrosity (in a good way) known as the Monte Cristo. I was surprised that it was actually batter and not fried sandwich bread. I guess I probably read that somewhere but wasn’t paying attention. But it was very good! And then the waiter brought me out a birthday beignet, Mickey shaped, and lit a candle in it for me! Very cute, but I was so full, I couldn’t eat it. I tried a bite but it wasn’t really worth eating anyway, as it was cold. Beignets need to be eaten fresh out of the oven! I enjoyed my lunch. I was sitting by the doorway to the outside and it was a gorgeous day, cool and breezy. It was crowded in the park, but not horribly so. Oh and the waiter also gave me a Princess and the Frog card set!

After lunch, I wandered toward Main Street, stopping by the annual pass center to get my official pass. Then I wandered through the shops and ended up at Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. It was on my list of things I wanted to do, so I went in and saw the show. Very good, reminiscent of Hall of Presidents. And it had the Two Brothers song that is also in the American Adventure show at Epcot. After the show, I decided to head over to DCA for awhile. The Aladdin Show was also on my list!

Soooo, I went straight over to the Aladdin Show and had to wait in a crowd to get in. This was actually the longest wait of the day, since it was just standing there and not constantly moving like the HM line. But the wait was definitely worth it. I loved this show! The genie was hilarious! I absolutely loved all his pop culture references and one liners. I wrote down all the ones I remembered, and then went back the next day and wrote down the rest! I also loved the Magic Carpet, so cute! Good, good show. And I hear it’s closing soon? That is so sad, because I would love to see it again many times!

After the show, I was tired and thirsty and didn’t know what to do, so I went into the Animation building and wrote down everything I had done in my notebook so I would be able to write a lovely detailed trip report!

I knew I wanted to stay in DL to see the fireworks show, and also just to see the lights and everything after dark, but I wasn’t sure what to do in the meantime. Since I had a FP for Space Mtn, I decided to use that first. Then I decided having dinner at Troubadour Tavern sounded good, so I went over there, but it was closed! Boo. So I looked at Small World all lit up and saw the castle lighting ceremony from there, then went into Toontown for something to eat. I waited in line for what seemed like forever before getting to order my pizza! Then I sat at a table, ate, and read my book. It was nice just to take a little rest. Then I wandered around a bit until I decided it was time to get a spot for the fireworks. I finally found a place I could see the castle clearly and also sit. I waited about an hour, and then the show started but stopped pretty quickly. Apparently, strong winds made it dangerous to continue. So no more show. It was sad, but I was soooo tired by then from being up so early and going all day. I just wanted to get out. Normally I would have waited for the crowds to die down, but I couldn’t wait, so I joined the throngs of exiting people! I saw the snow, but wasn’t able to actually get under it. So I walked back through Downtown Disney and to my hotel. I got to bed at 11:20 PM.

Sunday, Dec 20th: I woke up at 9AM and studied maps of the area, and ate a red velvet cupcake for breakfast. I got it at the new cupcake store in DD on my way out last night. It was very good! Then I planned my day. I wanted to get home before dark, or at least on the road, so time was limited. But I knew I had to see the Aladdin show again, get another Mint Julep, buy some presents and take pics of the décor in NOS. I also wanted to ride small world and HM again. I wanted as much holiday cheer as possible!

This time, since I had walked sooo much the day before, I decided to drive to the Mickey and Friends parking garage and take the tram in. So I checked out of the Alamo Inn, and drove over. I parked and caught the tram and went into DL.

I decided to ride small world first and see if I could get lunch at Troubadour Tavern. Well, the crowds were much bigger today, so the line for Small World was insane! So I skipped it. But, hooray! TT was finally open! I had the BBQ chicken potato and it was very good! Then I had the brilliant idea of riding the train around to NOS for another Mint Julep. Which I did. I also took a lot of pictures of the Christmas decorations! I would have liked to ride HM, but I actually completely forgot to. And the line for Pirates was about five miles long. So I headed over to DCA to catch the 1:50 Aladdin show.

I thought I had enough time, so I stopped in the toy store to buy boxes of Potato Head parts for my nieces for their Christmas presents. Then I went to get in line for the show. This time I had to sit up in the balcony, but the show was as good as the day before. I just looked at the Genie’s lines I wrote down while watching and they are quite illegible! He was sooo funny!

After Aladdin, I went back to DL and went to Fantasyland to the Sleeping Beauty Castle walk through. That was another thing on my list that I had not done before! Loved it! Then I looked through all the shops, and headed out to DD. I went to some stores there, starting with World of Disney. I got the rest of the presents I wanted, although they were out of one thing I really wanted. Fortunately I found it awhile later at the DStreet store. Then I got a BBQ pork po-boy from the Jazz Café Express. Another taste of New Orleans! Yum! By this time, it was getting late, so I decided I had to leave. But I wasn’t too sad, since I now have an annual pass! I know I’ll be back soon!

What a wonderful birthday weekend! If you have to turn 30, I can’t think of a better place to do it!

DisneyFunFamily4
12-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip! We spent most of our day on the 19th at DCA, the crowds at DL were just crazy! sounds like we may have crossed paths a few times, we did Mr Lincoln when we first arrived at DL and we spent time in the Animation academy in the later afternoon. We stayed at DCA to watch the ELP! Is the Troubadour Tavern up by the Princess Fantasy Faire? we usually avoid that area, but we may have to venture up there and check it out, I didn't know it was reopened!

Escape2Disney
12-26-2009, 05:20 PM
I loved reading your report! We share the same b-day! I'm glad you had such a good time.

Hannahbelle
12-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Great report Susan! Sorry I missed you! Glad you had a nice birthday!:)

DLFanGirl
12-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Woot! A new addition to the (VERY LARGE) AP club! Sounds like you had a fun birthday! Too bad about the fireworks cancelling out on ya. My family and I watched them that night from the Fantasmic priority seating area and were disappointed since that was the only time we could watch them without a huge mob of people squishing us.

Happy New Year!

MrsGrumpy
01-08-2010, 02:56 PM
I enjoyed your trip report, ccg! :) Congrats on your AP! :D

I agree, Disneyland is the best place ever to celebrate a milestone birthday! ;)

TowerofTerror
01-09-2010, 12:50 AM
wonderful trip report. thanks for sharing cheshirecatgirl