PDA

View Full Version : Entry way Turnstyle sounds question

Dexter
02-08-2003, 09:10 PM
This may have been asked before, but I wouldn't know where to begin to look, now that I'm in the middle of no where, I just happened to be thinking about this.

When I used to go to the park, while waiting in line to get in, every so often the turnstyle would play, I think it's part of "When you wish upon a star" but I can redily identify it as the opening to most older disney movies when the shooting star goes over the castle..... if you don't know what I'm typing about, I can't imagine how to explain this sound. It's not the "normal" sounds the turnstyles play like a guest (re)entering the park, or having invalid admission media.

If someone knows what I'm talking about, if you could provide insight as to what it's for, I would appreciate it. I'm just curious is all. I apologize for the lack of explanation, but I've been thinking about it for a day or two now... :D
Thanks for your time!

rexfarms
02-08-2003, 11:04 PM
All I know, is that the 3 lights means certain things. The green light is for normal guests, the white light is for APs and I think red is for when the ticket doesnt work. As for the sound I belive its a whistle. I could be wrong though. I am not 100% sure, correct me if I am wrong.:)

stitcher
02-08-2003, 11:59 PM
Having been a former Main Entrance CM, I will explain:

I don't remember what the lights mean, only that White/Green=-Good, Red=Bad

A song is always played whenever a CM logs into the turnstile, usually it is an instumental type clip from either "When You Wish Upon a Star" or "The Mickey Mouse Club March". However, turnstile 23 at DL(at least the last time I checked) plays a clip from "Whistle While You Work" which is actually sung by Snow White. The last one by far is the best, and of greatest quality audibly.

Another sound bit is when the turnstiles are being reset for the night, usually anywhere from 45 minutes before to 30 minutes after closing depending on which turnstiles they have open(obviously the open one would be reset later). All of them play a simple "Magic" ring similar to the ticket scan ring. All except for you guessed it, Turnstile 23, which plays an excerpt from the opening title to Lion King(It scared the begeebees out of me the first time I heard it, mostly because I didn't expect it).

Dexter
02-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Thanks stitcher, I would have never figured that out on my own and was curious. Thanks again!

tabacco
02-09-2003, 01:04 AM
I believe they also play the White Rabbit's "I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!" line when you logout. I've never had to logon to a turnstile (although I could if I needed to), so I can't say for sure :)

They also play an amusing "boing" noise when you open the top cover up :)

MonorailMan
02-09-2003, 02:43 AM
Call this strange:

Whenever I reneter the park, I get the normal check handstamp sound. (Do-Do)

But, when mom re-enters, she always get the boinging sound, and they have to override. What's up with that? :confused:

stitcher
02-09-2003, 10:52 AM
Oh, :eek: I forgot about those!

Yes, You do hear the "White Rabbit"(If that's who it is) with his "I'm late, I'm late, I'm late", but I thinks it's of poor quality

The "boing" is the bad sound to go with the red light

The "whistle" is the re-entry sound, and...

I would need more info to figure out why your mom has problems MonorailMan.

rexfarms
02-09-2003, 12:14 PM
So green light for general admission and white for AP right?

stitcher
02-09-2003, 12:15 PM
I have to check on that.

tabacco
02-09-2003, 12:34 PM
I think you're thinking of the wrong boing noise. There's the tuba one that always seems to play for denied entry, that's a few seconds long and consists of several notes, whereas there's a very cartoonish "boioioioing" noise when you actually open the turnstile casing (to read the counter).

stitcher
02-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Tabacco, you are correct......

scottmen
02-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by stitcher
A song is always played whenever a CM logs into the turnstile, usually it is an instumental type clip from either "When You Wish Upon a Star" or "The Mickey Mouse Club March". However, turnstile 23 at DL(at least the last time I checked) plays a clip from "Whistle While You Work" which is actually sung by Snow White. The last one by far is the best, and of greatest quality audibly.
.....All except for you guessed it, Turnstile 23, which plays an excerpt from the opening title to Lion King...

What is the deal with that Turnstile? Is there something special about it?

-Scott M.

odnamraortsac
02-10-2003, 12:18 PM
I've always suspected that the "whistle" sound that you hear at the Disneyland Resort entrance is taken from the soundtrack of "Song of the South". The whistle occurs at the end of the movie and it is a sound made by Brer Rabbit towards a frog in a pond. Can anyone confirm this? I know the movie is not commonly available in the U.S. In fact I had to view a copy of the movie from Great Britan to actually see it.

RStar
02-11-2003, 04:43 PM
I always thought the whistle sounded like the Jiminy Cricket "Give a little Whistle".

Lashbear
02-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by RStar
I always thought the whistle sounded like the Jiminy Cricket "Give a little Whistle".

...That's what it sounded like to me too !:)

tabacco
02-12-2003, 01:10 AM
Nah, the turnstile whistle is two distinct and seperate notes. Pinocchio's is one continuous whistle that changes pitch, I'm pretty sure.

odnamraortsac
02-12-2003, 10:10 AM
I'm 99% sure it isn't the whistle from "Give A Little Whistle" but I'm open to other opinions.

RStar
02-12-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
Nah, the turnstile whistle is two distinct and seperate notes. Pinocchio's is one continuous whistle that changes pitch, I'm pretty sure.

I remember it as two whistles as in "Give a little whistle, * whistle sound* whe, who. Give a little whistle, *whistle sound *whe, who".

Note: it's tough to spell out the sound of a whistle!;)

cujosr
02-12-2003, 10:45 PM
question. Why would someone like disney spend all that money to program "singing" turnstiles and not on the rest of the park, where it belongs!! surly thos turnstiles must be expensive! think about the logic of it. A "boing" sound when you onen the case. That's plain stupid!! Sorry for the rant.

Lashbear
02-12-2003, 10:56 PM
I have since been informed by Greg (who has a WAY better memory than I) that the whistle WAS indeed two separate notes, the first being higher in pitch than rthe other.

He says it was rather like the sterotypical parrot call right after the "Raaaaahk" (IE. as in when they go "Pieces of eight, Pieces of eight, Raaaaak, *Whistle*")

Lashbear
02-12-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by cujosr
... A "boing" sound when you onen the case. That's plain stupid!....

Actually, I think that's plain Disney ! Walt would have approved. :cool:

tabacco
02-13-2003, 12:54 AM
question. Why would someone like disney spend all that money to program "singing" turnstiles and not on the rest of the park, where it belongs!! surly thos turnstiles must be expensive! think about the logic of it. A "boing" sound when you onen the case. That's plain stupid!! Sorry for the rant.

You're making a pretty sweeping statement without knowing a lot about the facts. It's not as if Disney built or programmed the turnstiles itself. Our turnstiles are built and supplied by Gateway Ticketing Systems in Pennsylvania, and you can see the product info page here:

http://www.gatewayticketing.com/products/galaxy/AdmissionControl/Index.asp

Audio feedback (such as the "boing" noise) is built into the admission control software, and didn't exactly strain Disney's budget or time at all.

For anyone who's curious:

This is the Annual Pass screen, almost exactly as it appears on the computers at the Main Entrance:
http://www.gatewayticketing.com/products/galaxy/PhotoPass/Index.asp

This is our normal point of sale program, Galaxy (Parking uses the same software):
http://www.gatewayticketing.com/images/posscreen.gif

RStar
02-13-2003, 08:15 AM

Also, the sounds have a good reason for being there. to help the CM who may become a bit complacent after a full shift at the gate. The sounds help verify the ticket media. And when the cover is opened it may be an issue that needs to be delt with right away and with out a sound the CM may not know it even happened.

Sorry, I don't think it is stupid at all.

cujosr
02-13-2003, 10:31 AM
I Stand Corrected. I love to stir the waters.:~)