PDA

View Full Version : Phosphates?

mousketeer
02-08-2003, 09:49 AM
Check ou this website: http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Cabana/1051/cafe.html
It is a cast member's shrine to NOS restaurants. On the Cafe Orleans page, he says that at one time they served phosphates. Now, I as probably many of you know that phosphates are mineral deposits from bird dropping mined in Morocco and Nauru. Obviousely, I know Disney never served bird dropping on their menu. So what is the phosphates he is talking about. The picture next to his description is of a soda fountain, so I assume soda was a component. Does anyone know what the heck the phosphates are that he is talking about?

Not Afraid
02-08-2003, 10:33 AM
A Phosphate is an old fashioned soda fountain drink. It is basically soda water and flavoring. Walt's Favorite Chocolate Soda that they serve at the Gibson Firl is a version of this with ice cream added. I found the recipe below on this site. (http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m040800.htm)

To me, this goes along with all of those other strange drinks such as Sasparilla.

Cherry Phosphate

Serving Size:1

Source: Better Homes & Gardens Annual Recipes (1996)

A phosphate is like a Red River drink, only with a tart flavoring added,
usually citric acid or lemon juice.

1 12 oz can Carbonated water or club soda
Cherry flavored syrup
Lemon juice

To make a phosphate, in a tall glass stir a 12-ounce can of carbonated water
or club soda into a couple of spoonfuls of cherry-flavored syrup and lemon
juice. Cool it all off with ice cubes.

Matterhorn Fan
02-08-2003, 10:35 AM
Sasparilla's not strange.

Is it? :confused:

Not Afraid
02-08-2003, 10:40 AM
OK. How about Egg Cream?

Morrigoon
02-08-2003, 12:11 PM
Hmm... phosphates sound like Italian Sodas

screamin4ever
02-08-2003, 08:13 PM
And sounds like a chemical fertilizer. I just finished spreading it on my grass to green it up for the winter.

hbquikcomjamesl
02-10-2003, 07:23 AM
It's my understanding that in a true phosphate syrup, phosphoric acid is one of the flavoring agents, providing some of the tartness. (I believe you'll find it in the ingredient list on the side of many bottled sodas, as well).

Back in the late 1960s or early 1970s, when detergents with heavy phosphate content were first discovered to be harmful to the environment (I believe they caused algae blooms, by acting as fertilizer), and "low phosphate" detergents were introduced to mitigate the problem, one stand-up comic remarked:
Fish do not like phosphates! You never see a fish go into a malt shop, and order a strawberry phosphate!

Kevin Yee
02-10-2003, 10:47 AM
Hey, somebody found my old website.

Phosphates were made by adding flavoring to normal soda water, so it lacked any special tartness, except insofar as the syrup had some of that in it.

They were really good! Didn't taste like a plain flavored soda, somehow. Must have been something in the syrup.