PDA

View Full Version : Mint Julip recipe

mystycalchyk
02-07-2003, 11:07 AM
Forgive me if this has been posted before, i did a search and cannot seem to find it. does anyone have the recipe to make the yummilicious mint julips at disneyland?
im having a little dinner party tomorrow night and i just wanted something fun to serve in addition to regular boring iced tea and the obligatory water.

kranders
02-07-2003, 11:28 AM
Not exactly the Disneyland version, but this might add a KICK to your party!!:D

Mint Julip Recipe (http://drinkinfo.com/mint.htm)

Bill Catherall
02-07-2003, 11:37 AM
Here's the recipe. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/drr/drrrecipes.htm#mint)

The tricky part with that recipe is trying to find Creme DeMenthe (unless you like your Mint Julip to have an alcoholic kick to it). I found that you can find non-alcoholic Creme DeMenthe at places that sell coffee flavoring syrups. Like here. (http://www.chewbrokers.com/store/merchant.ihtml?pid=41&step=4)

My brother has made this recipe and says it's very good. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Mint Julip.

mystycalchyk
02-07-2003, 12:04 PM
thank you thank you thank you.umm im having a few older couples from church over, so i dont think they want the alcoholic version ;) :p

now i must go on a search locally to find the creme de menthe

nothing like waiting till the last minute eh?

refurbmike
02-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Of course, if you want the exact version they use at Disneyland, you'll have to call their syrup supplier - I forget the name, but I think it's based in Arizona.

Enjoy making your own, though! :D

mystycalchyk
02-07-2003, 12:23 PM
based in az???

*jiggies*
i live in az. wonder where?

refurbmike
02-07-2003, 01:53 PM
Honestly, I forgot where its based. It could be in Egypt for all I know.

I'll check if I can find the specifics tonite and post it.

RStar
02-07-2003, 04:01 PM
I saw the Mint Julip concentrate being sold at the park a few years back. I wonder if they still do?

I know that won't help you any, just a thought......

hefferdude
02-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Not exactly the Disneyland version,

Here, here!:D ( We go to church after the derby!)
Ah, if only they served true mint julips.

"...The Mint Julip must be consumed from a sterling silver or silver plate Mint Julip cup. The cup must be ice cold

First, understand that a Mint Julip is never made - Mint Julips are made. This is a batch drink.

The ingredients are: Bourbon whisky, sugar, fresh mint on the stalk, cups, a straw, and shaved ice.

Pull a double handful of mint leaves from the stems and wash the leaves - pitch the stems. Now add two cups of sugar to one cup water in a saucepan and heat over medium heat until it turns crystal clear. If it boils, start over. Now add the mint leaves to the syrup and let it steep overnight. Let the syrup cool.

Next, pour a quart of whisky into a glass (this is no time for plastic) pitcher that holds more than a quart. Combine four ounces of the mint flavored simple syrup (filter out the mint leaves) to the quart of whisky. Stir.

Now, pack one of those fine Mint Julip cups with shaved ice. Push the straw into the ice. Remove the straw and place a large sprig of mint in the hole where the straw was. Fill the cup with the Mint Julip. Wrap the cup in a cocktail napkin (yeah, like you can comfortably hold a frozen metal cup full of ice)...."

Imbibe & Enjoy.
:cool: :cool: :D :cool: ;) :) :eek: :cool: <---Us at RBJK

rexfarms
02-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Well, I know I got my creame at Starbucks but when I tried to make it, it smelled like Disneyland's but didnt really taste like it.:confused:

Kevin Yee
02-07-2003, 08:25 PM
The recipe on MousePlanet is mine.

I got it from a City Hall recipe card, and I agree that it doesn't taste entirely like the park's version from bag-in-box.

And the creme de menthe is really hard to find. Try Trader Joe's or such places; your local Ralphs/Lucky's/Albertsons is unlikely to have it (though there are always exceptions)

Bar None in Tustin made the concentrate, but due to a legality problem with Coca-Cola (Disney isn't supposed to use anyone but Coke), the premade concentrate idea had to be scrapped. I do not know who the bag-in-box provider is, though, let alone whether it is indeed someone from Arizona.

Not Afraid
02-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Hmmmm, it's bag-in-the-box? I may be able to investigate this if it is provided by their major food service provider.

Darkbeer
02-08-2003, 12:38 AM
Here is an interesting link talking a bit about the History of the Mint Julep.

http://cocktails.about.com/library/weekly/aa042200a.htm

james362001
02-08-2003, 01:06 PM
You could write to Disneyland to the corresponding restaurant there and perhaps with your kind letter they might send you a recipe. But if it's a secret...well maybe you could ask the waiter who served you if the recipe to the Mint Julip is available.